AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st November, 2001, 10:44 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

HDD mod!

My Mum's PC is gonna be upgraded soon... this gives me an entire PC to play with and not worry about it breaking! i already taken the top off an old CDROM gonna attempt to put a window in the top... also plan to do this with the old 2.1GB HDD might take me a while tho!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2001, 10:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I've seen the HDA window mods, they look sweet! But you got to be super careful not to get any dust in the drive.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2001, 01:21 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

any ideas how to keep dust out?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 21st November, 2001, 01:50 PM
eobard

Lemme see if I got this: You're going to hack into the shell of a hard drive, without dropping chunks into the housing, so you can put a window inside????
Old 21st November, 2001, 03:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Eobard, the Idea is to remove the tin cover, then install a small window in it, and then reassemble the harddrive.

Random, as far as ideas about keeping the head and platters dust free while the drive is disassembled, I hear Tupperware is the way to go about it.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2001, 03:47 PM

ok dimm i'll give it a try when i can get my hands on the drive

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 21st November, 2001, 05:02 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Eobard, the Idea is to remove the tin cover, then install a small window in it, and then reassemble the harddrive.
Ok. That's a hell of a lot saner than the image my mind was conjuring up here. I had visions of drilling into the sealed unit, then using a jig saw to gouge out the space for the window. This is what happens when you forget to sleep. Man, I can just see Mr. Bean doing that to his computer!!!!!!! Still, that's a very daunting prospect, who's providing the operating theater?
Old 21st November, 2001, 05:40 PM

eobard your a genius! my mum works in a hospital! gonna nag at her to let me use an operating theatre!!! should be free of dust!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 21st November, 2001, 10:19 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
eobard your a genius! my mum works in a hospital! gonna nag at her to let me use an operating theatre!!! should be free of dust!
Yeah, I'm the genius who can't conceive removing the shell before hacking away at it.
Old 21st November, 2001, 10:41 PM

trust me! u ARE a genius!

only u dont see the easy simple side of things!!! i bet to cross teh road u dont wait for a gap in the traffic, you build a giant catapuult and sit in it? with the trajectory just "so" so you land gently on the other side of the road!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 21st November, 2001, 10:52 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
trust me! u ARE a genius!

only u dont see the easy simple side of things!!! i bet to cross teh road u dont wait for a gap in the traffic, you build a giant catapuult and sit in it? with the trajectory just "so" so you land gently on the other side of the road!
Nah, I just stare meanly at people and walk right into traffic. They're gonna hit me, they're gonna deal with me after!
Old 21st November, 2001, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard

Nah, I just stare meanly at people and walk right into traffic. They're gonna hit me, they're gonna deal with me after!
Yeh cleaning you off would be a pain!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 24th November, 2001, 08:02 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I've seen the HDA window mods, they look sweet! But you got to be super careful not to get any dust in the drive.
Yeah there is a REALLY good reason that there put together in clean rooms and are Hermeticly sealed.

(hope I spelled that right)

Rob
Old 24th November, 2001, 08:25 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie

Yeah there is a REALLY good reason that there put together in clean rooms and are Hermetically sealed.

(hope I spelled that right)

Rob
Let's find out, I'll spell-checker my reply before posting. As for the other, here's an idea: assemble them in space. If anyone is good friends with an astronaut and you want a hard drive window just make a few calls. "Hey astronaut buddy, remember me, the guy who de-virused your pc? Yeah I need a little favor..."
Old 24th November, 2001, 12:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie

Yeah there is a REALLY good reason that there put together in clean rooms and are Hermeticly sealed.
Actually, they're not hermatically sealed at all! They are dust proof, but they have a vent to the atmosphere. This stops you drive warping under atmosphere pressure!

If you're going to mod a DASD, then make sure you DON'T remove the vent, or you'll have bigger problems than dust...

AidanII
Old 29th November, 2001, 02:59 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Yup, they have an absolute air filter

which I remember reading about problems when some company didnt ship with abosolute air filters and smoke particles would cause hard drive crashes

one thing i'd be tempted to do is to put a vac with a hose outside, trail it in and leave it on for an hour beforehand, should clean the air a fair bit
Old 29th November, 2001, 07:24 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I opened a defunct HDD once. The screws really don't want to come loose. I suggest doing this to a drive that you can afford to lose. If the operaton is a success, then try it with a "keeper" HDD.