AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2002, 06:42 AM

The Few. The Proud. The Geeks.

My Dremel is one of my new favorite toys, second only to my 3" hole saw.

I recently started ripping my case to bits, and adding fans. How far did my fan obsession go? Maybe this picture will illustrate!
Attached Thumbnails
The Few.  The Proud.  The Geeks.-antecps.jpg  
Old 20th January, 2002, 06:44 AM

For the record, that's an Antec 300W power supply with an added intake fan. Pulls case air into the power supply, and lets the exhaust fan pull it out. I also chopped up my case and replaced the case fan holes with fan grills. Now I need to chop a few holes in my case panels and top for some intakes and exhausts. And I need to mod my front bezel to allow air to be pulled in by the front fans.

I also had to mod the case panel rails. My case makes you have to slide your case panels all the way back to take them off. Makes it mighty hard to put fans into the case walls that way. So I cut the rail to allow the panel to slide back only an inch or to before coming off. Makes it much easier.
Old 20th January, 2002, 08:39 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y
I also had to mod the case panel rails. My case makes you have to slide your case panels all the way back to take them off. Makes it mighty hard to put fans into the case walls that way. So I cut the rail to allow the panel to slide back only an inch or to before coming off. Makes it much easier.
Aopen HX08 ? lol
Old 20th January, 2002, 09:34 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

B-but, Wa11y. I don't see the yawning chasm's you posted about. My eyes get worse by the day, it's possible that I missed it.

I gotta say, I love the way that most case manufacturer's took the 100 cfm throughput needed for stock AMD boxen into their stride. The case-front shown in your pic is an excellent example. Grok that monstro hole!

Edit. Shuh, I'm too swift sometimes. I've used tie-wraps aka zip-ties to accomplish similar improvements in PS fannage. That way, I didn't void the PS's warranty. However, your no-nonsense hole and BIG fan are definitely more effective.

Last edited by cloasters; 20th January, 2002 at 09:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2002, 03:04 AM

Didn't quite understand your post, Cloasters....

It's an Antec KS-188. I want the 180 but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. <sigh>
Old 21st January, 2002, 09:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Indeed, my post isn't a shining example of coherence. SBT.

The only important info in it is: I've used tie-wraps, aka cable-ties, aka zip-ties to position fans on PS's just like you do in your pic. This way, I didn't void the PS's warranty. Your method definitely moves more air than mine does.
Old 22nd January, 2002, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Indeed, my post isn't a shining example of coherence. SBT.

The only important info in it is: I've used tie-wraps, aka cable-ties, aka zip-ties to position fans on PS's just like you do in your pic. This way, I didn't void the PS's warranty. Your method definitely moves more air than mine does.
My warranty expired a long time ago. Didn't worry about it anyway.

I've used zip ties to bundle cables and round IDE cables, but never to hold a fan up. I prefer screws. Something manly about chopping up and drilling a chuck of metal to make it do what you want.
Old 22nd January, 2002, 10:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

Something manly about chopping up and drilling a chuck of metal to make it do what you want.
UG! MANLYNESS!! WoofWoofWoof!
Old 23rd January, 2002, 03:45 PM

ARG! <grunt><snort> testosterone good!<fart>Ug!

Actually, my PSU is a bit warm. Not blowing out warm air, but radiating some heat. So I'm gonna crack it back open, and replace the stock exhaust fan with the same type of fan I put on the intake, just so they're the same CFM and such. I think I'm blowing too much air in, and not venting enough, so it's getting warm inside.
Old 23rd January, 2002, 10:34 PM

Exclamation WO-MEN!

All right, you GUYS! Enough with this gender-based gratification bulls++t! Would you ridicule your SISTER for putting a tool to a hunk of metal?

I can personally attest that such activity has NOT caused chest hairs to sprout HERE!

(Welder by trade since 1980 )

patti ~

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2002, 01:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Re: WO-MEN!

Quote:
Originally posted by patti ~
Enough with this gender-based gratification bulls++t!
What "gender-based gratification" are you refering to? I don't see any such gratification going on.

Women can be "Manley". For example when I was a kid the lady that lived accross the road had a mustache. And as far as Wa11y's testosterone comment, some people would be suprised to learn that women have testosterone flowing through there vains just as men do, just not quite as much.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 24th January, 2002, 02:14 AM

Re: Re: WO-MEN!

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
What "gender-based gratification" are you refering to? I don't see any such gratification going on.

Women can be "Manley". For example when I was a kid the lady that lived accross the road had a mustache. And as far as Wa11y's testosterone comment, some people would be suprised to learn that women have testosterone flowing through there vains just as men do, just not quite as much.

So you're saying the fuzzy neighbor lady wasn't ridiculed tisk tisk

Yes, I agree, not usually quite as VAIN about those hormone levels as men.

patti ~

Old 24th January, 2002, 03:37 PM

Re: WO-MEN!

Quote:
Originally posted by patti ~
(Welder by trade since 1980 )
*OMG!!*
If Daniel EVER complains about you, I'll personally knock the crap outta him! I loved welding, but the money just wasn't there, so I sold my soul to the corporate devil. But any time I'm in home depot, I'm tempted to drop $500 on a small wirefeed welder and some supplies.

And no, picking up tools will not give you chest hair. I have mad amounts of chest hair, and have not touched enough tools to warrant it.

And no, I would not ridicule my sister if she picked up a power tool and hacked away at a chunk of metal. I'd watch over her shoulder, and correct her technique, that she, too, may become l33t.
Old 24th January, 2002, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the back-up
in every respect.
May your next hack-up
be all you expect!

patti ~

Old 25th January, 2002, 01:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

I'm not trying to say its anything male oriented.. I just want to see somethin hacked up thats all

just a little wanton destruction.. If I really wanted to start some fur flying, I would pose the following question:

If an AMD and an INTEL chip got married, which would be on top the night of the honeymoon?

NEITHER! Because we all know that the only chip that sees any action is RAM. (ok please don’t hurt me for this post)