AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th April, 2004, 01:28 AM
Metal Wizard

Fastest mod in the West!!

Was kicking back, taking a break, Feel pretty darn happy with my latest and greatest mod. More of a mod revolutionary than just a modder. All was right with the world. The phone rang, It was my sister-in-law, there was trouble in paradise. It seemed her grand-daughter was told at school that she would have to have a computer next year for the 8th grade! As many of her class assignments would be done online. Well she is the oldest of 4, And her mom is single and struggling. So, it was Uncle WeldZilla to the rescue!! I started this mod last thursday. thought I could take my time. *th grade does not start for her til September. So I did a little prep work on the case, primed it and shot a couple coats on the inside. Friday we went to the beach and dug clams all weekend. I was nice to relax. Got home sunday only to find out they wanted to pick up the puter Thursday ( Today as I write this ) Well now my latest build should be called " Panic Mod ". Sunday I got busy and got it pretty much painted inside and out, 87 degrees fahrenheit helped.

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda6.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda2.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda8.jpg  
Old 30th April, 2004, 01:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

So where's the rest of the pictures?! You're going to tease us like this and then leave us hanging?!

You're cruel!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2004, 01:36 AM
Metal Wizard

First thing

Went on line and ordered a Combo DVD-CDRW and Floppy Drive from newegg
they showed up on monday Si I was able to paint them, the Front drive covers, the legs, a couple fan grills and the psu the same color as the inside of the case. I painted the 2 bottom intake fans and the blowhole fan the same color as the outside of the case. I was a busy guy! Monday night was over and 2 days to go!!

WeldZilla
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda10.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda11.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda17.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda16.jpg  
Old 30th April, 2004, 01:46 AM
Metal Wizard

Tuesday

Ok now it was time to start literally throwing this thing together!!!
This "Santa Fe" by Ahanix case was only $28 But, with a swing out mobo
tray. It is really easy to work with. So I got the mobo in. The drives and psu installed. I knew there was not going to be enough time to do a nice sleeving job on the wires so I painted them to match the inside of case. That way they would not stand out completely. The psu was installed and the 2 front hdd fans in. Then I wired all but the rear fan to a Vantec fancontroller. I put the grills on and called it a night!

Weldzilla
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda13.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda14.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda15.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda27.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda29.jpg  

Old 30th April, 2004, 01:48 AM
Metal Wizard

Took a couple pics

And went to bed!! Tuesday was good, it was fast but, it was good.

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda30.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda31.jpg  
Old 30th April, 2004, 01:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Holy cow! That is sweet!

After all of that, you definitely deserved a
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2004, 02:07 AM
Metal Wizard

Wedsnesday night

I took a little time to go everything and make sure all was connected up right. As this was all done in such a hurry! Then I got out a spare monitor,keyboard and mouse and hooked them up and fired this little puter up.
It has an Abit VL-6 mobo, P-3 866 processor, 512 megs of 133 sdram, a Quantum Fireball 40 gig hdd, mitsumi floppy, liteon combo drive, a CEC No-name 350 watt psu, an evercool after market cpu heatsink and fan, hey 29 C
I'm not complaining, 6 case fans, one ccfl blue light, a phone modem, (YUCK)
ethernet card, nvidia TNT 64 pro, onboard sound AC97, And a whole lot of love packed in this case!! I put on Windows XP-Pro then hooked it into my network and put on all security updates and updated drivers. Ran it for a while. then I unhooked everything and headed off to bed!! Happy!!

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda34.jpg   Fastest mod in the West!!-amanda35.jpg  
Old 30th April, 2004, 02:13 AM
Metal Wizard

Today

When I got home from work the puter was still here. but, it is ready to go, I made it!! Only to find out that they can't come getit til a week from this coming saturday!! They live on the east side of our state, Spokane, Washington that is about 365 miles from my place. So when I got home I hooked it up to my system again played some music and videos and it was all good. Now it sits silently beside me at my desk unhooked. you know this pnic mod stuff was kinda cool. No time for second guessing yourself, jut have to get after it. I think I am going to paint my "WeldZilla 2" the same color. I really like the look of it. Well that is what I have been up to for the last week

WeldZilla
Old 30th April, 2004, 02:14 AM
Metal Wizard

Thanks Gizmo, you are right, I need a little break!!

WZ
Old 30th April, 2004, 03:21 AM
Metal Wizard

I just want you guys to know that this last week while doing this mod. My mind has been flooded with more ideas than ever!! I have been brainstorming with my 8 yearold son Matthew and we have come up with some completely original ideas. Next case will not be a modification. It will be a complete build!! everything and totally different than anything else. This is it, don't get scared now. It's time to build!!

WZ
Old 30th April, 2004, 04:17 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You zipped this one up nicely!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th April, 2004, 05:04 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Too bad we don't have a front page right at the moment.
Old 30th April, 2004, 05:27 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

GAWD!!! You are the MAN!!! Very nice box you put together there!!!
But I have to ask,

"How does it fold"?!?!?

Keep up the GREAT work!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 30th April, 2004, 05:55 AM
Metal Wizard

That will have to be answered by her. It is now her box, although i must tell you that i don't think she has ever heard of it. Hey Daniel this happened so fast you didn't even see it coming. But then again neither did I!! Yes it is ashame you have no cover,how will we stay warm? When will it be back? Ever?

WZ
Old 30th April, 2004, 06:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yes! And better than ever, but EV1 Lost our server! It's taken them a week to find it so we can order a restore!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th April, 2004, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to purplemohawkman Send a message via Yahoo to purplemohawkman

Sweat meats nice work good sir
-160gig WD sata, 80gig WD SE, 60g maxtor,
-x800pro w/ Graph-O-Matic Rev2 H20 block
-logitec z5300 5.1
-Chieftec Matrix full tower w/ Antec True430
Old 30th April, 2004, 11:20 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

did the feet dome with the case?
i'm a big fan of cheap cases...picked one up for 50 with a piano finish and a couple of fans in the door...just needs a window...anyone have any ideas for an alternative to acrylic for a window? i want to embed about 10 LED's into the surface to light up some sand etching....
Old 30th April, 2004, 11:42 PM
AOA Staff

First class job!

Can't wait to see your special project!
Old 1st May, 2004, 01:15 AM
Metal Wizard

The feet were my creation!! I never use stock feet. I really do not have any fetishes but, when it comes to computers. I guess I have a foot fetish. And Yes there are much harder windows than acrylic. They however are much more brittle. so you will have to purchase a special bit for drilling the harder materials. Hey just take your time and it should all work out well. The main advantage to harder materials,. including glass is the fact they are easier to clean. On my acrylic I only use pledge Lemon scent.
It makes it very slick and dust does not stick. Makes it easier to wipe clean with no scratches. Good luck on your window and please post up some pics of your progress. If you do not have a digi-cam have the pictures put on a disc in the development process.
WZ
Old 1st May, 2004, 01:19 AM
Metal Wizard

As far as cheap cases go. If they have a removable mobo tray and all the bays I need that is good enough for me. If they do not have a removable tray and you really like the case, make it removable!!! I bought that Enermax case for my last mod cuz it was so physically large. It just fit what I was after.It was $73 including shipping, but I had to have it!!

WZ