AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th September, 2001, 10:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Who has the lasers?

After reading that laser cut holes are perfect and don't even require filing to remove sharp edges that will cut you, I must ask: Who has these puppies?

I'd also like to know how much power is needed to cut sheet steel that's nominally 1mm thick? And how much do these ? Watt lasers cost? Lasers are not expensive. The catch is that the power supplies for them must provide perfect output, and they are costly! AFAIK.
Old 28th September, 2001, 10:55 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
And how much do these ? Watt lasers cost? Lasers are not expensive.
They cost a lot. A 2KW CO2 or pulsed Nd:YAG laser doesn't come cheap! Nd:YAG does have the advantage it doesn't need a constant supply of CO2, but has to be run pulsed to avoid shattering the Nd:YAG rod. Both typically require watercooling to operate.

It'd seem that 500W to 2Kw is pretty much the norm, depending on how fast and thick you want to cut.
Old 28th September, 2001, 11:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Please, read the next sentence of my post that started this thread.

I wonder if 500W is necessary. A lot less power may work just fine. If someone really knows, please elucidate. Thank you!
Old 30th September, 2001, 05:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to killem1x1

I only work with shops that do loads of metal fabricating. I am not aware of a "small" laser. The smallest we sell/service has a cut area of 5'X10', and go up to 20'X Anything. 5X10 usually start at around $350,000 USD, but I can gt you into a very nice plasma cutting system for around $39,900 USD
Old 1st October, 2001, 04:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to CrystalMethod

Quote:
Originally posted by killem1x1
I only work with shops that do loads of metal fabricating. I am not aware of a "small" laser. The smallest we sell/service has a cut area of 5'X10', and go up to 20'X Anything. 5X10 usually start at around $350,000 USD, but I can gt you into a very nice plasma cutting system for around $39,900 USD
I'll stick with my $49.95 Dremmelâ„¢, thank you very much...
Old 2nd October, 2001, 03:22 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Good God! You can't afford it if you have to ask, LOL.

The only experience I have with what I believe was a plasma cutter was in the shipyard. The steel workers called it a "plasmar." It cut through aluminum like butter, making spectacular sprays of molten aluminum underneath the deck that was being cut. Enjoy! As it was hand-held the cuts it made weren't all that clean. I imagine that one steered by CNC would make very clean cuts. But I don't think they'd be as perfect as laser cuts.

Either way, it's a 3/8" drill and a compass for me!

Last edited by cloasters; 2nd October, 2001 at 03:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd October, 2001, 04:40 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Dremmels cut just fine. The trick is to pay attention to the back side of the blade. the leading edge means nothing, as long as it is insde the lines. If you try to cut with the leading edge, you will break a lot of blades, and gouge your perfect line with the back. One should always practice ones cutting skills on old Junk machines first.