AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th February, 2002, 11:42 PM

Dynatrons? Loud?

I'm looking to buy a Black Knight case from xoxide mods for my younger brother(14) as a birthday present. I'd do it myself but I don't have time. Anyway, he's going to keep it in our living room so I'm trying to make sure that the fans won't be too loud. Do you guys think 37 dBa is loud? And what do you guys think of the case itself? Is it worth it to have someone else do the labor? I think it's decent, but i've only modded two cases.
Old 8th February, 2002, 02:05 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to the "BBS," downs45! AFAIK, no two reviewers measure noise levels using the same methodology. This means that all statements about the "quietness" of an item are suspect. Unless the reviewer explains exactly where, and with what equipment he/she measures with. If the reviewer uses the same method repeatedly, with lots of gear--then you have a useful comparison.

If the "37db" value is derived from measurements from across the street and around the corner... If it means one foot away from the left side of the buttoned up case, with all fans cranking, that's pretty quiet--for an air-cooled Athlon box.

If I could afford it, I'd certainly buy pre-modded cases. They're a lot more reasonable than they used to be, too. If the standard of workmanship was the same as mine, I'd be happy. If it was worse...

Last edited by cloasters; 8th February, 2002 at 02:07 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2002, 04:27 AM

37db can vary in perceived loudness. What I mean is, it depends on the frequency of the sound. 37-40 is probably borderline to annoying. 40-50 annoying. 50-60 iritating. 60+ too loud and disruptive.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2002, 10:33 PM

well Ive decided to order it. after talking to them about their products they assured me that the 92s wouldn't interfere with my need to watch battlebots while he's chatting withi his luser friends on aol lol.

hopefully all goes well and my little bro is definitley excited about a "mad phat" gift =)