AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th February, 2002, 08:44 AM

Question PSU mods and questions

I am new to modding so let the hazing beggin.

I just received a new 300w PSU unit. I would like to heat shrink or wrap (electrical tape) the cables. I really don't like the open cable look.

Question 1:
Is there any reason I shouldn't do this. Some type of hazard or poor reaction to these cables being wrapped?

Question 2:
Has anyone done this before and could let me know some alternates to electrical tape and Heat shrink tubbing.

Thanks.

Will
Old 8th February, 2002, 02:14 PM

The cables inside the PSU itself?

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2002, 04:27 PM

No, just the various sets of wires that connect to the motherboard and Hard Drives / Rom Drives.

Thanks.

Will
Old 8th February, 2002, 05:20 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Re: PSU mods and questions

Quote:
Originally posted by wackerman
I am new to modding so let the hazing beggin.

I just received a new 300w PSU unit. I would like to heat shrink or wrap (electrical tape) the cables. I really don't like the open cable look.

Question 1:
Is there any reason I shouldn't do this. Some type of hazard or poor reaction to these cables being wrapped?

Question 2:
Has anyone done this before and could let me know some alternates to electrical tape and Heat shrink tubbing.

Thanks.

Will
Well there is not really a hazard in wrapping the wires. I have done it before and it takes a bit of work if you are using electrical tape. There are a few other alternitaves. Split loom tubing, some people like this look but i dont its looks cheezy to me. Also spiral wrap is another way to do it. Its more time consuming but it looks cool when you are done. I have seen a friend of mine use this and wrap glow wire through it and it looks awesome lit up. You can get split loom and sprial wrap at radio shack. There is also hose mesh that i think is the best but hardest to work with. It is sold at auto parts stores. It looks identical to the stuff Entermax uses on their cables coming out of their power supplies. Btw whats your setup?
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2002, 05:48 PM

This is my first mod box.
I decided to spend good money on what I felt were good parts.

I just got my case today, and the other parts arrived this week.
When I have it all assembled I will post a pic.

Here is the list:
---------------------------------
Lian Li PC60 Brushed Aluminum Case w/ Side cut Rectangle Window

Intel Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, Socket 478, 400 Mhz, FCPGA

Intel D850MV Socket 478 Motherboard

(2) (Samsung): PC800 256MB ECC RAMBUS RDRAM memory

(2) IBM Deskstar 60.0GB, 7200RPM

(1) CCFL 10" Blue

Thermaltake A1119 Volcano P4 478 Bearing Fan

Powmax PSLP6100C 300W Power Supply Dual Fan

(2) 48cm Booted IDE ATA66/100, Clear Coat

(1) Rounded Single Device Floppy Cable Clear

--------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you think of my choices.

:-D

Last edited by wackerman; 8th February, 2002 at 05:54 PM.
Old 8th February, 2002, 05:50 PM
AOA Staff

nice build sheet for sure !!
Old 9th February, 2002, 12:10 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Nice choices. Err on the intel i have had alot of problems in the past with intel. I kinda steer away from them anymore. Btw are you gonna fold with that system
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 9th February, 2002, 05:50 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Welcome to our forums wackerman! We pride ourselve upon our hospitality and the warmth with which we receive those who are kind enough to visit us. Great new system your building!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 9th February, 2002, 05:53 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz
Nice choices. Err on the intel i have had alot of problems in the past with intel. I kinda steer away from them anymore. Btw are you gonna fold with that system
I love the sig Jazz

And great system, man. It'll beat the pants off of my Athlon 1000 system

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 9th February, 2002, 06:32 AM
eobard

You want some interesting wire covers I suggest you check out my pics here. The tubing comes in different sizes so you could get one for the main ATX power cable and a smaller diameter for the drive power cables.
Old 9th February, 2002, 03:22 PM

Lightbulb

I am don't know what you mean when you ask me if I am going to fold. Sorry, I will try to find out what that means. I can give you a definate maybe until I do.

heres an idea get a disco ball and blue light to give mother some light

Last edited by wackerman; 9th February, 2002 at 09:10 PM.
Old 9th February, 2002, 08:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yarr, that is an impressive list of components! I suggest a high quality PS and personally, I won't touch Thermaltake. I'd avoid an IBM HDD. Again, this is personal opinion.

However, the Powmax must be avoided. I like PC Power&Cooling's PS's, as well as the more reasonably priced SPI Sparkle's. Might as well get a 350W or 400W. 300 Watter's are almost obsolete. As you selected an expensive case, a cheap pos PS has no place in it.
Old 9th February, 2002, 09:05 PM

I appreciate your opinion.

I am very happy with the IBM, I have had alot of HDs, I find that the deskstar is the quickest and best for your dollar. ($106 for a 60g, 7200rpm)

I did buy I cheapo PS, I spent must of my luxury money on the case and components. I was running short on cash when it finally came down to some of the final pieces.

The thermaltake, I just don't know any better. I wanted to upgrade from the standard Intel Heatsink/fan.

Are they easy to remove after you apply them?

What would you recommend for an Intel Pentiium 4 1.7ghz , 478 pin processor.

Newbie questions I know, sorry.

The PSU I don't mind upgrading later. I spent moe than I could afford already on this already. But I am pretty happy with this as a start.
Old 9th February, 2002, 10:23 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by wackerman
I am don't know what you mean when you ask me if I am going to fold. Sorry, I will try to find out what that means. I can give you a definate maybe until I do.
Folding is like SETI only it isn't as much fun. Still, if you really want to run the second best distributive processing program, folding for these guys would probably be semi enjoyable. You wanna SETI, send me a PM.
Old 10th February, 2002, 12:29 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard

Folding is like SETI only it isn't as much fun. Still, if you really want to run the second best distributive processing program, folding for these guys would probably be semi enjoyable. You wanna SETI, send me a PM.
Why eobard, this is the first time I realized you have a death wish! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 10th February, 2002, 02:20 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
Why eobard, this is the first time I realized you have a death wish! LOL
Bring it on fold-boy, you and your cures for cancer are no match for me and my aliens. Your shot of immunization doesn't hold a candle to a shot from my Romulan disruptor. :devil:
Old 10th February, 2002, 02:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:

Bring it on fold-boy, you and your cures for cancer are no match for me and my aliens. Your shot of immunization doesn't hold a candle to a shot from my Romulan disruptor. :devil:
eobard, calm down, you've been talking to your cat's again now haven't you?

You've been eating from their dishes and trying to use their cat box haven't you? I've warned this type of behavior would take it's toll.

eobard there aren't any Romulans, that's just make believe. Folding is not out to get you, folding is a good thing! Folding will help you re-establish balance in your life. Folding may help to cure Feline cancer and Feline AIDS.

Now I want you to try and get some rest, try using your bed rather than the cat basket.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 10th February, 2002, 04:01 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
eobard, calm down, you've been talking to your cat's again now haven't you?

You've been eating from their dishes and trying to use their cat box haven't you? I've warned this type of behavior would take it's toll.

eobard there aren't any Romulans, that's just make believe. Folding is not out to get you, folding is a good thing! Folding will help you re-establish balance in your life. Folding may help to cure Feline cancer and Feline AIDS.

Now I want you to try and get some rest, try using your bed rather than the cat basket.
1) I talk to my cat every day, he's one of the few people who's opinion I respect. Plus he keeps me calm and tranquil.

2) I don't eat from his dish, that's his and I respect his privacy. I have a lot of dishes, why shouldn't he have one that's his own???

3a) Just because you haven't been informed about the Romulan situation doesn't mean it's all make believe. You aren't allowed to know, your blabbermouth bird might talk.

3b) Sneaky, cheap-shot bastich.

4) My cat doesn't have a basket, he sleeps on my bed or on the floor next to it.

Your turn. (move this to FWIW or the guy in charge might get mad)
Old 10th February, 2002, 06:18 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:

1) I talk to my cat every day, he's one of the few people who's opinion I respect. Plus he keeps me calm and tranquil.

2) I don't eat from his dish, that's his and I respect his privacy. I have a lot of dishes, why shouldn't he have one that's his own???

3a) Just because you haven't been informed about the Romulan situation doesn't mean it's all make believe. You aren't allowed to know, your blabbermouth bird might talk.

3b) Sneaky, cheap-shot bastich.

4) My cat doesn't have a basket, he sleeps on my bed or on the floor next to it.

Your turn. (move this to FWIW or the guy in charge might get mad)
Does your cat know you DON'T support the search for cat cures? Hmmmmm?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 10th February, 2002, 08:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Millisec.com has GlobalWin VAW-68's on sale for $10. 2cooltek.com offers the Vantec -7015 for $16. Personally, I'd use better fans than stock on these two P4 HSF's. 1coolpc.com offers the Sunflower for $24. Make sure that you know which form factor your CPU/Socket/HSF are. Intel has an endless penchant for changing the form factor for their Slots and Sockets.