AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd February, 2002, 05:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Krumthi Send a message via AIM to Krumthi

LCD's

Okay people Question maybe you guys can either find a good link better then I can or maybe you can help me out. Okay Here we go. I have a LCD screen that I bought from Martixorbital.com and it is Serial port operated. now here is the question I need to get it hooked up to the port how do I go about doing this? I didn't udnerstand the instructions at all. if someone could please help let me know!!!

Model Number LCD0821

Last edited by Krumthi; 22nd February, 2002 at 05:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd February, 2002, 05:24 PM

Re: LCD's

Quote:
Originally posted by Krumthi
Okay people Question maybe you guys can either find a good link better then I can or maybe you can help me out. Okay Here we go. I have a LCD screen that I bought from Martixorbital.com and it is Serial port operated. now here is the question I need to get it hooked up to the port how do I go about doing this? I didn't udnerstand the instructions at all. if someone could please help let me know!!!

Model Number LCD0821
I dont know anything about this myself but if you head over to www.bit-tech.net they have several articles on MatrixOrbital LCD's and they guys in the forum will help you out if you get stuck.

And welcome to AOA

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd February, 2002, 05:31 PM

THank you a lot I still don't know too much about it but once I get it figured out I'll let people know on what's going on with it I thank you alot for the help!
if anyone else has an idea thank you ahead of time!!!
Old 22nd February, 2002, 10:59 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Hey cool, they support I2C.

Anyhow, you're probably looking to interface it via RS232.
I'm going to presume you've got a standard one, rather than a wide range one.

You'll have something that looks like:

http://www.matrixorbital.com/manuals...ck-labeled.jpg

First of all, you need to arrange power for the module. You'll be using the 4pin connector for this. The pin marked "Vin" needs to be connected to +5V (The red wire on a drive power connector), and the pin marked GND needs to be connected to ground (Either black wire on a drive power connector). Ensure you get the connections the right way around, otherwise you will KILL the LCD.

Once that's sorted out, you will be able to power up the LCD, but you won't be able to send anything to it! So, guess what comes next? Yup, it's connecting up the data so you can communicate with the LCD.

You'll need a 9pin D-Connector that'll fit into your serial port. We're only interested in pins 3 (TxD) and 5 (GND). You need to connect pin 3 of the 9pin serial connector to the pin marked "Rxd" on the 3pin connector on the LCD. You also need to connect pin 5 to the pin marked "GND" on the 3 pin connector on the LCD.

Double, then triple check your connections. A mistake might mean the end of the LCD, so you need to be careful.

Next up, double check the jumpers. They should by default be set to JP1 on, JP2 on, JP3 off and JP4 off. That sets the baud rate to 19200. Don't worry about the address stuff, cuz you're not using it!

Next, check you connections. If they're ok power up your PC. Once Windows has booted, you'll need HyperTerminal. Point HyperTerminal (HT) at the serial port you installed the LCD on, and set the baud rate to 19200 with no handshaking.

See if you can type a few characters at the LCD and if they appear on the LCD...

If they do, then look at finding some software that'll drive the LCD easily. Perhaps look at
LCDriver for Windows and see what you think.

AidanII

P.S. Double check everything. I'm not responsible for anything that happens. Everything mentioned here is done at your own risk.
Old 25th February, 2002, 02:48 PM

Thanks

Hey guys thanks for your infromation I'll let you know when I get it to work!!!

Thanks once again

Krumthi