AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd March, 2002, 05:52 AM
Poseidonf4

a few case mod q's

i have a few questions about case mods:

1. I see all these people w/ fans mounted to the top of their cases, w/ big wire baskets sticking out. Where do you get these fans, and how difficult to install are they?

2. What exactly is a cold cathode light? are those the things in scanners that put out the light to read the document you are scanning? What is teh advantage of using one of them over using a regular flourescent light?

3. Is it dangerous to leave your case open for better ventilation, besides the risk of sticking your hand or foot or other foreign objects in there accidentally? (i have a friend who totalled his dual pIII 550 file server by kicking his mobo in a drunken stupor)
Old 2nd March, 2002, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Heres some answers for ya i hope:
1. By fan with wire baskets on top.... i think you meant "fan grill" and you can find fans and grills at any local computer shop
2. Cold Cathodes are A form of light, correct, they are used in scanners, but they can also be colored and used in case mods, they come in varied lengths, mostly 10, 12 and 4inch. if you are looking for one, i have a link in the main page of AOA under the deals section=$20 for a cold cathode kit- instead of $35
3.No it is not dangerous unless you are stupid- no offence to your friend, but it infact Improves ventilation alowing cold air into the heatsyncs-

SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2002, 06:40 PM
Poseidonf4

ok good thanks, what i am wondering about the cold cathode is, what are the advantages over regular flourescent light?
Old 2nd March, 2002, 09:11 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

As I understand it, the advantage of cold-cathode tubes is that they run cool and last much longer than neon tubes do. 'Fraid I don't know if they have any advantage over fluorescent tubes. I may be brong, but I think fluorescent is considered chump change lighting by the neon crowd.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 11:31 PM
Poseidonf4

i see... has anyone tried putting the ink from yellow highlighter markers into the water for a water cooling system to make it blacklight reactive? i'd like to try this, but i am afraid it might damage my pump or something... I know its blacklight reactive though, and i think if it is safe it would be awesome!
Old 3rd March, 2002, 05:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

There are a few companies selling liquid coolant additives for black light usage. I would suggest using one of those, as I'm not sure what effect the ink from a felt pen high-lighter would have.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 3rd March, 2002 at 07:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd March, 2002, 02:27 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Poseidonf4
i see... has anyone tried putting the ink from yellow highlighter markers into the water for a water cooling system to make it blacklight reactive? i'd like to try this, but i am afraid it might damage my pump or something... I know its blacklight reactive though, and i think if it is safe it would be awesome!
I'll be using DyeLite soon, from www.tekheads.co.uk

but ssssh! it's a secret! announcement coming within a week