AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st December, 2005, 09:13 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Next mod: Acrylic, water, bling. (Planning stages)

I saw this linked in another thread, and it made me think.
http://www.casemodgod.com/Worklog-story--8.html

I like the basic layout of this case. What I am planning is to make a water rig more for bling than bang. This is about a month off. I'm only planning it atm. This PC doesn't have to be fast, just has to look sweet. I'm sick of my PC's at work and I wanted to throw together a decent machine. Might as well go crazy with it though.

In my mod I plan to use a ITX board mounted upside down. The next divider would be just far enough away from the board to clear it. All the return water lines would only run to this divider, and pour back into the lower section where the water reservoir would be. The divider would prevent water from splashing on the board. With lighting, the churning water will look really cool. The overall size would be a 8" cube. The motherboard area would be slotted in the back for air intake. The PSU wouls be mounted with it's intake drawing air through a hole in the wall the motherboard is mounted to, and forcing it out the back of th case. This would allow for airflow over the motherboard without adding a fan.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...tled-1copy.gif

I know this is not to scale.

Last edited by Azriel; 2nd January, 2006 at 08:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st December, 2005, 09:31 AM
Member/Contributer

If anyone wants to suggest decent ITX boards, feel free. I plan to use a normal CPU waterblock on the CPU, but everywhere else, Just blocks of copper. I plan to run water all over it, wether it's needed or not. I'll use tiny tubing where the cooling really isn't needed to make sure I'm not starving the CPU block. I work in QC in a production machine shop. I am proficient with every machine in the building, so nothing here will be at all difficult. This is mostly bandsaw and sander work anyway.
Old 31st December, 2005, 11:58 AM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

whaa

thats nice

sorry i have nothing else to say

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st December, 2005, 03:12 PM
Member/Contributer

My feeling is that they look cool when nice and shiny and new, but with a little dust in there it could start looking old and dirty very quickly.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st December, 2005, 07:22 PM
Member/Contributer

The real perk is that it's gonna be in a clean room. Climate contorlled etc. Anyone who has ever had to work on equpment in a "clean room" knows, however, that they are anything but.

I've been looking, and it's amazing how cheap you can get lexan remnants on ebay. I'll probably make it out of smoked lexan, which actually has a greenish tint to it when you shine light through it. I was also thinking I need to make traps so the water doesn't run out of the blocks when it's off. All the outlets would have to reverse twice. down to splash guard, back up 1 inch, then down again.

Last edited by Azriel; 31st December, 2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 31st December, 2005, 07:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front page Azriel!

http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/index.php
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 1st January, 2006, 01:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

I seen that mod on casemodgod a week or so ago, that one looked SOO sweet, can't wait to see yours when you're done!

Old 1st January, 2006, 02:09 AM

VIA Epia boards are the only ITX-boards I know. the SP-Series is one of the best. everything you need is onboard. it's good for internet, films (non hd-videos) and 24/7. don't try 3D games with that.

what kind of hdd you want 1.8", 2.5" or 3.5"?
Old 1st January, 2006, 02:12 AM
Member/Contributer

Thanks for the kick in the ass there. I just got done ordering the Lexan and aluminum needed.
Old 1st January, 2006, 02:59 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
My feeling is that they look cool when nice and shiny and new, but with a little dust in there it could start looking old and dirty very quickly.
ah you're such a nay sayer lazgoat!

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 1st January, 2006, 08:54 PM
Member/Contributer

For a pump I'm using a generic 572 GPH outdoor fountain pump. Sounds like a lot, but it will only flow that much with no vertical distance. At 3 feet, it's output is almost 0. It is 4 inches tall, so I'm going to run it submerged on it's side, mounted to the back side of the tank with a smoked lexan box hiding it. I need to order yet another piece of material. Goodie. I'll run the power cord up the corner in a piece of opaque tubing to hide it's contents. For the water blocks I plan to have a center feed with multiple small lines pouring back into the tank. The pump I am using is whisper quiet, and, durring very high tech testing in the bathroom sink, shot water to the shower without any trouble. It should have no problem with 4 inches of vertical push.

The feed is going to go up in the back corner, and T into a 7.5" long tube that will serve as a manifold to distribute it to the components. I'm using 1/4" lexan for the walls, so the inside dimension will be 7.5. I have considdered the possibility that the board will be slightly larger than 7.5 square. I'm actually counting on it. It will be a lot easier to mount the board clean if I have to slot the walls to clear it's edges. I won't need to use screws. Just a nice network of ground wires.

Last edited by Azriel; 2nd January, 2006 at 04:06 AM.
Old 1st January, 2006, 08:58 PM
Member/Contributer

Someone educate me on PC coolant. I really want this to have blue water. I found some 4" cold cathode lights I can use that are sealed in polycarbonate tubes with a cube on each end. Green would be sweet too.
Old 1st January, 2006, 09:06 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Koolance makes a decent uv-reactive blue coolant.

thermaltake has GREAT color UV reactive green coolant, but i think it's too "wet".
Old 1st January, 2006, 09:19 PM
Member/Contributer

hmm.. so should I use UV lights with it? I can get those in the same casing. I want a really vibrant blue for the water. If i can get UV reactive coolant, this might be the best way.
Old 1st January, 2006, 09:26 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

well, uv lights would "hide" alot better than any other, yet the overall "light" effect would be greater coming form the components themselves, and the cooling, rather than the cathodes themselves. there are multiple uv additives you can get, but i persoanally don't like adding stuff to my coolant, and on personal preffernce, i only use the koolance stuff, if i ahve that choice.
Old 1st January, 2006, 09:51 PM
Member/Contributer

I'll probably go with the blue cathodes then. I really want the bulbs themselves to be seen. While the UV may be a more vibrant blue, I really don't want purple bulbs.

As far as cooling the reservoir, I'm pretty confident that a 3/8 thick 7.5x7.5 grooved aluminum floor will do the trick.
Old 2nd January, 2006, 04:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

perhaps you could draw a picture with Paint program to show what you're meaning since the forums don't allow a good ascii drawing.

Old 2nd January, 2006, 05:05 AM
Member/Contributer

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...n/IMGA0741.jpg
Old 2nd January, 2006, 05:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I see you belong to the Realist school of art! "That's just so life like!"
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 2nd January, 2006, 08:56 AM
Member/Contributer

=p