AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd March, 2002, 10:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to CaesaR

Exclamation PROOVE THE SAFETY -- plz read

Well........according too my dad he dosnt want any "treehouse carpentry" on HIS system (dick)

could you do me a favour and tell my why in YOUR opinion MODding and Water cooling/Overclocking is safe.....and HOW you know its safe.

and if your a comp technicion(sp) or whatever could you plz state that too, it'll really help proove my fact
Old 3rd March, 2002, 11:05 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

best way to prove it would be to show him websites with case galleries etc. took me a while but my dad went from thinking it was all a hoax so people fried their PC's with water, to believing it 100% im now using water to cool my CPU, and im using a home made block!

case modding is TOTALLY safe as it doesnt interfere at all with operation of the PC. but make sure you thouroughly clean out any metal particles... they can play havoc with a delicate bit of kit like a PC

overclocking itself is not "safe" as such, but if you research, and take it a step at a time you can probably prevent catastrophic failure, although ALL overclocking shortens components life spans.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 3rd March, 2002 at 11:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2002, 01:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

It's only safe if you know what your doing. Don't screw up and all will be fine. Your best bet is to become as educated as possible about every aspect of modding/overclocking before you begin.

Having said that, there are always risks. I lost two Voodoo 2 cards to a fire back in the day. Also lost the motherboard and NIC to the beer I used to extinguish the Voodoo 2 cards. I've fried a half dozen CPUs. And I've lost more sticks of memory than I care to count (didn't get mey handle from nowere ya know). I've blew MOSFETs on a couple of Abit boards due to prolonged excessive current consumption. I've toasted at least a dozen power supplies, again due to prolonged excessive current consumption. But I've been doing this since the days before it was wide spread, since long before the term "overclocking" was even coined.

It all started for me when my Dad swapped the crystal in my brand new Packard Bell 286, then again he did the same on my white box 386, and it got worse when I moved on to making my own machines in the 486 era. It's a sickness, it can't be stopped I tell ya . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2002, 05:23 AM

ok. a few more questions.

My dad seems to think that we need "official" fans installed by the ppl that built our comp or we will have our warranty vioded. (plz dont laugh too hard ! LOL )

How do u cut the holes in the cases.....and how can i do it with a 9V cordless drill....what kind os bit(s) will i need and.....dumb question but i have to show up my dad but Will modding the hell out of my case void my warranty ? (not like OCing my GPU wont LOL)
Old 4th March, 2002, 05:39 AM

Re: PROOVE THE SAFETY -- plz read

Quote:
Originally posted by CaesaR
Well........according too my dad he dosnt want any "treehouse carpentry" on HIS system (dick)

could you do me a favour and tell my why in YOUR opinion MODding and Water cooling/Overclocking is safe.....and HOW you know its safe.

and if your a comp technicion(sp) or whatever could you plz state that too, it'll really help proove my fact
If he's set against it, nothing we say can change his opinion. It's his computer. Have some fun with yours!

And for cutting holes, a cordless drill will be useless. I've found nothing short of a corded drill and a holesaw works best. Clean cuts, minimal cleanup work to do, and perfectly round every time.

And those "offical" fans? Prolly gonna be crap.
Old 4th March, 2002, 07:22 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Wa11y makes a very good suggestion. Why not mod your own box? It really is best to look and learn before you leap. There will come a point when lack of knowledge is no longer an excuse to avoid picking up the tools and cutting some sheet steel.

I'm glad that I saved the case covers from two extinct cases! Practice before cutting into a case that mattered was an excellent idea for me! Might work for you, too!
Old 4th March, 2002, 09:42 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

It will almost certainly void the warrenty, even OPENING an OEM box will do that! but who needs a warrenty? Within a few weeks of hanging around here, you should be able to fix any problems at all with your PC, but if you toast some hardware thats gonna be a problem. but then if you toast something due to overclocking your not covered by the warrenty anyway!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 4th March, 2002, 04:45 PM

first off im a student so i NEVER have $, so if somebody wants to loan me a few hundred bucks i'll buy my own computer, but until then............

BTW i did my first EVER mod yesterday. i turned my 3 USB ports on the back of my case to the front....looks REALLY sweet, and makes plugging in/out my flight stick alot easier