AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th February, 2006, 10:57 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmellin
Have I mentioned lately that you're a dork? Just out of curiosity, love, because I think it's true.

Meh....

Dif-tor heh smusma!

And yes, I'll go...make the newbie post thing. *sighs* I can't believe I'm doing this.
Dangnammit they've cloaked their text, Jim!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th February, 2006, 11:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

don't worry Favu, you're not the only one who didn't understand that all lol

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th February, 2006, 11:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Marshmellin Send a message via Yahoo to Marshmellin

Quod Erat Demonstrandum:

Rai! Molpau nasheh ra putan’ti yut. Sovnol-reh ar’kaluk. Nam-tor nasheh pa'shi-ri Ferengi.

Nasheh.

*raises an eyebrow*

I only do it because 1) I've had to translate it for a fanfiction and 2) It makes captaincurran squint at the screen, and 3) It's clearly a cloaking device to transmit sekrit and spechul messages from the Romulan Empire.

Vulcan? What Vulcan? Where?

No, I do not know as much Vulcan as Chris does Klingon. I'm more of an English grammar nazi type person.
Old 6th February, 2006, 11:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I THOUGHT that was Vulcan! I've only ever seen it written like twice. Is it anywhere near as developed as Klingon?
Old 6th February, 2006, 11:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

Klingon is more canonly developed. where as Vulcan is based more on non-canon vocabulary.

and now back to the main topic for this thread... anyone know about the Audio ports?

Old 6th February, 2006, 11:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Not a clue. I'm more interested in Vulcan at this point.
Old 6th February, 2006, 11:59 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Vulcan? What Vulcan? Where?
Does this make me Federation?

j/k

Captaincurran! I have a set of motherboard to case front ports from an old case, these include USB, Firewire and Audio, I can send them to you for the price of package

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran
the pin arrangement is

Row 1 GND - +5VA - BACKOUT-R - NOTHING - BACKOUT-L
Row 2 MIC - MIC-POWER - AUD-OUT-R - DUMMY - AUD-OUT-L
Have you tried contact the mobo manufacturer to see if they have cabling, or can tell you where to get some? Generally, these kinds of things seem to be rather proprietary, so I'd be surprised if they don't have something.

Baring that, you could always sacrifice a connector that you have laying around, get some mini-phono jacks, and crank up the soldering iron.....
Old 7th February, 2006, 12:01 AM

how much would that be?

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Marshmellin Send a message via Yahoo to Marshmellin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I THOUGHT that was Vulcan! I've only ever seen it written like twice. Is it anywhere near as developed as Klingon?
As captaincurran said, Vulcan has been mainly developed outside official cannon--i.e. it hasn't been printed.

But, there is this site, which is great. Word of warning on that link: it the site has music. Loud music. You'll want to pause that, most likely, or wait for it to stop.

Sometimes you'll need to invent words, but that can be done...well...logically if you can find similar words to base it from.

I never use it unless I need it for a fanfic or for a Vulcan-Terran character I play in an RPG, but it certianly is fun to mess around with.
Old 7th February, 2006, 12:03 AM
AOA's resident barman

Quote:
how much would that be?
I have no idea how many Rupies it costs to ship from the UK to the CA

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ah. Now I understand the below quote:

Quote:
Dif-tor heh smusma!
Sochya eh dif!
Old 7th February, 2006, 12:05 AM

rupies? uh... i use canadian dollars. so.. you'd have to find out i think, then we could use a currency converter to figure it out

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:16 AM
AOA's resident barman

I know! Further inspection reveals that my port extender has Pin header -> USB port, Firewire extension (from a port at the back to a port at the front) and Audio & Mic extension. The reason the audio doesn't come right from the Motherboard, is because most motherboards will either let you output sound to the back ports or the front via headers, not both at the same time. So basically all it is is an extension cable that runs from the normal audio out to a header to be mounted at the front of the case.

I don't know if you still want it, but it would be a shade under £10 max postage, probably around £6

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:24 AM

i've got ports on the back and pins for the audio seperate from the usb ports. not to mention i can't find any firewire pin space on my mobo

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:27 AM
AOA's resident barman

The firewire is just an extension cord. The audio and microphone cable is the same. Basically, all it does is save you from having to reach to the back of you PC. If you just want audio, I don't think it would be too challenging to mod yourself a mobo pin -> jack socket lead

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:33 AM

don't know how to do that. and i'm not sure which wires would be for what.

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:37 AM
AOA's resident barman

Quote:
the pin arrangement is

Righty, well there is a bit about headphone jacks here we're talking the same wiring, just on a plug.
Attached Thumbnails
It was the logical thing to do.-faq3.gif  

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:40 AM

okay, that takes care of 3 wires. but how about the others the mic ones, and the top row?

Old 7th February, 2006, 12:52 AM
AOA's resident barman

Quote:
Right, well, working with my limited knowledge of electronics...

The BACKOUT-R and -L is either just the audio for the back ports, meaning that your motherboard is designed to have both front and back output ports.

Or it is that your motherboard can do 4.1 - It has two audio outputs, one for the front speakers (AUD-OUT-R and -L) and one for the back ones (BACKOUT-R and -L) you will have to took that up in your manual.

Either way, you wire up the -L to the closest "hook" on the socket, the -R to the one in the middle and the GND to the one furthest from the wires and nearest the actual socket... I think... does that make sense?

For the Mic I would use the same method. The best way would be to wire up a socket to some clips or something, so that you can test if it works, without doing anything permanent, you are unlikely to do any permanent damage if you wire it wrong, AFAIK

ps You should ask someone who knows this stuff

8 kByte S-RAM