AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st February, 2006, 02:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

It was the logical thing to do.

thanks to an AOA case badge, my mostly DOA computer is alive. so that means i get to mod her now. Keeping in the theme of Star Trek with my mods, I'm doing a star trek mod to this. A window in the shape of the Vulcan IDIC. That stands for Infinite Diversity In Infinite Combinations.

When i get paid next (Sometime in Feb) I'm gonna go pick up some Silver spraypaint, i've learned my lesson for using a brush. It didn't turn out as nicely as i hoped. So i'm going with spray paint. i'm also gonna pick up some light blue paint for it, to do the trim, the drive bay fronts. perhaps, after i've got the paint and the acrylic, i'll do a lil mod with the power buttons.

the power button mod idea is, i'll cut out around it, and just put a lil window around the button. and light it up with a blue led. same with the reset button. i may also put some blue leds in the bottom of the bezel where the front usb ports are, just to light that up as well.

as for internal lighting, a pair of blue LED fans, and a couple blue led or Cold cathrode tubes will be put in.

Pics:
Insides of the case and the front sporting off the new AOA Case Badge
Attached Thumbnails
It was the logical thing to do.-picture-3.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-4.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-5.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-6.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-7.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st February, 2006, 02:39 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

AOA OWNS you!!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st February, 2006, 02:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

a few more pics, including my designs for the window

pics: more of the front, and the bottom image on the left is the cut out, the image on the right is my planning pic
Attached Thumbnails
It was the logical thing to do.-picture-8.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-9.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-idicase-cutout.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-idicase.jpg  

Old 1st February, 2006, 11:03 PM
AOA Staff

Sounds like another Awsome idea! What kind of LEDs are you using to light up the power button area? and how do you powerthem?
That is something I could do for my mods also
Keep up the hard work with Star Trek mods!!!!
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 1st February, 2006, 11:09 PM

i was just gonna do a couple regular blue leds, probably tied into a molex cable, the 5 volt wire on it.

Old 1st February, 2006, 11:14 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

AOA modders for teh win!!!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 2nd February, 2006, 07:21 PM
AOA Staff

Are you talking about just regular LED like the ones used for the power one switch? How do you attach those to a molex cable? I was reading a modd in a magazine, I think it was maximum pc, about modding electronics like that.
I would love to try it.

Oh, one idea that would be right up your alley, I almost don't want to tell you because I may do it myself,
An awsome Star Trek mod would be to install some old fashioned 60's computer buttons to your case and make them light up like in the origional Star Trek ship panels.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 2nd February, 2006, 07:59 PM

I was gonna do it pretty much like the power leds, but have them on constantly. i was thinking i would just solder them together then solder the wires to the molex cable.

i was actually thinking of doing the whole case to make it look like a peice of computer panel or something. but i thought nah, not till i've got more equipment and materials.

Old 2nd February, 2006, 08:25 PM
AOA Staff

I don't know where you could find some old 60's buttons...
maybe make some???
I bet you could find old buttons at an electronics store.

So if I just solder the led to a molex cable that would power the leds constantly? Will they blow if they get too much power?
That would be a fun idea to have creatively placed leds on the case.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 2nd February, 2006, 08:31 PM

you might need resistors depending on which wire of the molex cable you put your leds on, and how many you put, plus the amount of power the leds need too is a consideration. it'd only be on aslong as your pc is on

Old 3rd February, 2006, 03:49 AM

okay, i was gonna cut the window today, but i slept in too late and Diablo 2 sucked me in again. so by time i thought of it, it was already nearing 9 which is the dorm's Quiet Hours, monday thru Thursday. I got the template cut out for the Window, I'm tempted to print out another, and just put it on my wall as decoration. It took 4 pages of paper. the light grey area is where the hand space thingy is.
Attached Thumbnails
It was the logical thing to do.-picture-10.jpg  

Old 3rd February, 2006, 11:49 PM

Okay, i've got my window cut out, mind you it's really flimsy still cuz i don't have any acrilic lying around. so i'll get some middle of the month. Here's some pics

First is the sock i used to clean the dust and crap off with.

Then the next few are the back views of the panel. the fourth pic is showing how low i cut. i should have put the template higher. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
It was the logical thing to do.-picture-11.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-12.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-13.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-14.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-15.jpg  

Old 3rd February, 2006, 11:51 PM

more pics, and BTW that sock was perfectly white before i used it on the case

EDIT: That's my thumb there holding the inner circle up, it's really flimsy
Attached Thumbnails
It was the logical thing to do.-picture-16.jpg   It was the logical thing to do.-picture-17.jpg  

Old 4th February, 2006, 12:03 AM
AOA Staff

Wow! captaincurran, its looking great. Do you have plexi-glass behind the design on your computer in that one photo?
You did a great job with accurate cutting. You keep saying its flimsy...
what kind of metal did you use?
Keep the pics coming.... can you make them a little higher quality?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 4th February, 2006, 12:34 AM

nope. no plexiglass, or acrylic. I just took my time with the cutting. It's flimsy cuz part of the metal is only a few CMs wide. I just used the standard side that came with the case. I actually used my webcam to take pics. I could use my scanner but it just wouldn't give the same effect

Old 4th February, 2006, 06:31 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Very nice dremel work. I am impressed.
Old 4th February, 2006, 06:43 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran
more pics, and BTW that sock was perfectly white before i used it on the case

EDIT: That's my thumb there holding the inner circle up, it's really flimsy
You have very beautiful strong hands.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 4th February, 2006, 09:25 PM

Azriel - Relief cuts can be a very good friend. and doing it slowly at max speed is good too.

And Dsio - they get that way from sitting infront of a computer all day

Old 6th February, 2006, 03:57 AM

okay, i'm getting paid in a few weeks. and right now, i'm looking for the best places to buy the good stuff. I'm gonna get a couple CC tubes for it, next time, but gonna get a set of Blue LED feet thingys, a pair of Blue LED fans, a PSU, power cable. and something i noticed on the board was a set of jumper pins for audio ports that i could have in the front, like i do for my front USB ports. Thing is i don't have the extra ports, does anyone know where i could get one? there's space for two ports in front.

the pin arrangement is

Row 1 GND - +5VA - BACKOUT-R - NOTHING - BACKOUT-L
Row 2 MIC - MIC-POWER - AUD-OUT-R - DUMMY - AUD-OUT-L

There's also space in the front for what i would guess to be for Firewire ports, but since i own no firewire stuff, it's irrelevant. Instead, i'm gonna use a couple switches, wire my fans on to them put the switches in the front, unlike how my Klingon Kase has my fan switches in the back.

so back on topic, anyone know where to get the audio ports?

Old 6th February, 2006, 10:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Marshmellin Send a message via Yahoo to Marshmellin

Have I mentioned lately that you're a dork? Just out of curiosity, love, because I think it's true.

Meh....

Dif-tor heh smusma!

And yes, I'll go...make the newbie post thing. *sighs* I can't believe I'm doing this.