AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th May, 2002, 04:07 AM
The_Silverite

Exclamation A few Q's for the Gurus here

OK, I've got a Antec Performance Plus Black server case (the one with the door and the concealed firwire and 2 US ports up front), and I've got a few questions, mostly on LEDs and Baybus's. (I'm asking here because there's way too many casemodding sites out there with no real info on what I need at all, so I'm hoping that someone here with a lot of experience in this field can save me some bandwidth and time (dial-up is cool though))

1= I remember reading something somewhere about using a thermostat to control your fanbus 9automatically going to 12v when the processor gets too hot). Wasn't this called the "Digital Baybus" or something? Where can I find the info again?

2= I'm gonna need bright green cathodes and LEDs. lots of them. I'm also on a budget. What company can hook me up here?

3= Is there a way to set up a circuit to make a cathode dim and get bright (like, an oscillation)?

4= I'm gonna be needing some of that light tape stuff. What's the best kind out there (I know this is more opinion-baseed, but that's cool. I want opinions)?

5= Will Mineral Oil work alright in most water-cooling setups? (I'd rather have a leak result in a mess rather than result in a short)

And why the hell are water cooling setups so expensive? I saw a copper block being sold for $40, and that's just a block, by itself.

All replies are appreciated, thanks for bothering to read this, and have a safe and happy Memorial Day.
Old 25th May, 2002, 01:42 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

temp adjustable fans arent really all that good, you dont want it getting to 50c really and going full blast, u want it full blast lower down so it never gets that hot......

the cathode throbber circuits are out there, but im not sure i can link u, due to the rules about advertising non allied sites.

these guys have most things u need tho!

Case Etc

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th May, 2002, 05:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, The_Silverite!

Why is everything so expensive. Perhaps a good? side to the expense of water cooling gear is that one would think that the cost will make Joe I Want H20 Cooling more careful when putting it together?

AFAIK, water cooling doesn't HAVE to be so expensive. However, junkyard crawling, followed by de-greasing seems to be required to make the cost more reasonable.

I know VERY little about liquid cooling. My guess is that mineral oil's viscosity prevents its use a substitute for water.

Edit. Overclockers.com is running at least one article about inexpensive water cooling on their front page. Worth a look.

Last edited by cloasters; 27th May, 2002 at 10:21 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th May, 2002, 06:02 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

also its nowhere near as good as water to cool the CPU..... just cant remove the same amount of heat.

the most expensive part i have found is the pump, you really shouldnt skimp on this, and research it a lot! i bought a £40 pump, and it was useless for what i originally wanted!

I made a waterblock for the price of a bit of epoxy and plexiglass, worked great until i found out why marine epoxy is the glue of choice when water is involved!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 25th May, 2002, 07:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Mineral oil is harder for most pumps to work with- they have a greater "mass: to move and wear out small pumps- PM me if you want the link to a retailer that sells CC 12inch for $20- I would not want to have a variable cold cathode setup- it would fry the inverter too fast probably-
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah