AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 27th October, 2001, 11:46 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

My first case mod:

I have an old ATX minitower that I no longer use. given my opportunity, I decided to recommission it. But first I had to repair the problem, poor air flow. Now, it doesn't have to be awesome just respectable, for a Celeron566@894. The problem was I had a fan in front with impeded flow, and nothing in back because of the vertical PSU.

Parts I would need include:
2 8cm fans
2 fan guards
3" hole saw
power drill
pencil and ruler to measure, and I used the fan guard as a stencil.

I decided to drill holes into the top to pull hot air away from the CPU, and blow air in through the side.

Because I wanted the results to look good, I bought a 3" hole drill, which is a perfect size for 8cm fans. I salvaged a fan from an old AT PSU I discarded a while back and attached a 4 pin connector to the bare wire.

Here are some pics: This is the case with pencil marks for the side hole.
(continued)
Attached Thumbnails
My first case mod:-mvc-594e.jpg  

Last edited by SteveI; 28th October, 2001 at 12:01 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2001, 11:49 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

hole bit

This is the 3" hole saw/bit I bought to use with my power drill. Cordless for cutting through steel is a major project. Even with 2 batteries, I had to recharge over and over, for a period of 5 hours to get both holes.

(continued)
Attached Thumbnails
My first case mod:-mvc-596e.jpg  

Last edited by SteveI; 27th October, 2001 at 11:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2001, 11:51 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Here is the fruit of my labors after sanding down the edges (I hadn't checked for fit on the screw holes and was crossing my fingers. The last bit was a pain. Both times I caught an edge and scratched the outside a bit, but not too bad for a first try.

(continued)
Attached Thumbnails
My first case mod:-mvc-604e.jpg  

Last edited by SteveI; 27th October, 2001 at 11:53 PM.
Old 27th October, 2001, 11:56 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I then screwed the fan on with the fan guards. It turns out, the holes didn't line up perfectly, but close enough that I was able to work the screws in... And the finished product:
(continued)
Attached Thumbnails
My first case mod:-mvc-606e.jpg  
Old 27th October, 2001, 11:57 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

And:
Attached Thumbnails
My first case mod:-mvc-607e.jpg  
Old 27th October, 2001, 11:58 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

And the final pic:

(Now on to the next step/topic)
Attached Thumbnails
My first case mod:-mvc-605e.jpg  
Old 28th October, 2001, 02:25 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Post Script

Because I was taking the majority of my old system and putting into my new case, I was able to see results almost imediately. I popped in the MB and all the other stuff, started folding and left it.

This morning the case temp was 22c. My other folding machine, in the same room was 25c. It is a quality inwin case with same board and cpu. I had previously noticed at least a 5c improvement going from the old case (unmodded) to the inwin.

I know this is rough, but conservatively, the case mod brought the case temp down 7c. It worked wonders, and looks good too.

Now that I have the hole saw, and a couple of extra fan grills of course, I have 3 other PCs..hmmm... Hey, I gotta get my money's worth, LOL.

SteveI.
Old 28th October, 2001, 11:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Well done! People make amazing mods to cases nowadays, many cases are beyond simple works of art. While holes for fans are humble, they are the reason that people started to cut their cases in the first place. It still surprises me that nearly all stock mid-towers require cutting to cool an Athlon properly. If the new intake fan will be placed within two feet of the floor, a fan filter is worth considering.

You may have already progressed to the point that any new case you buy will not seem like it's really YOUR'S until you cut it!
Old 20th November, 2001, 09:55 AM

How about new pictures of the baby?
Old 21st November, 2001, 04:20 AM
Banned

Good job, surprised how much effort people put into this stuff... my case mod, which is out of view, can cut your fingers into little pieces it's done so,.. um,.. 'handsomely.'
Old 29th November, 2001, 07:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jackie Leong

the mod you have done is at least better than mine man.. i'm gonna dump the casing i've ruined.. but i'm trying to fix it.. spending quite a lot on fixing it (bah.....)

bad time with my first case mod.. hrmm!
http://www.coolhardwarez.com/

Tags
case mod