AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th January, 2003, 12:22 AM

TEC Mini-waterchiller Prototype

I've just been sent pix of a prototype TEC based in-line chiller block... they've said they're sending me it on Friday to test out and assess... from a UK company called ThermoChill (new one on the UK scene mefinks!). Apparently the final version will be anodised red with ThermoChill laser etched into the top (swiftech stylee)

Will post more once I've tested it out and seen whether it works or not (have tested stuff like this before and got nowhere meself, but hey-ho, worth a go!) and if it does then guess I'll be adding it to our DangerDen kits (Over-Clock UK Custom)

http://www.over-clock.co.uk/marci/tec1.jpg
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/marci/tec2.jpg
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/marci/tec3.jpg

on the inside...

http://www.over-clock.co.uk/marci/tec-a.jpg
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/marci/tec-b.jpg
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/marci/tec-c.jpg
Old 9th January, 2003, 01:04 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Before this all-in-one arrangement, did you have to marry the TEC element to the H2O block yourself, no exceptions?
Old 9th January, 2003, 01:07 AM

dunno... so far I've only had the pix... won't get the block itself til friday afternoon (UK Time) so will have to let ya know on that one... by looks of it they're inlaid so all u do is wang AS3 on each side of pelt then sandwich blocks together and tighten the screws up (guessing from pix and blueprints I've seen)
Old 9th January, 2003, 02:13 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Not as nice as the Supercool liquid to liquid modules. Supercool don't just manufacture TECs, they also manufacture complete modules!

Their liquid to liquid assemblies can be seen over at http://www.supercool.se/pages/ll.html
Old 9th January, 2003, 03:24 PM

However their cheapest is available in the UK for £96.00, ranging up to £250 for the most expensive (that's exc VAT by the way)...

The cheapest only uses a small 70w peltier...

Apparently the UK Distributor has had a few e-mails from overclockers asking about those, but as soon as they hear the prcie tag they never get back in touch...
Old 9th January, 2003, 04:33 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Marci
Apparently the UK Distributor has had a few e-mails from overclockers asking about those, but as soon as they hear the prcie tag they never get back in touch...
That be OEM then by any chance? I'm not surprised. I guess there's little in the way of price breaks on them?

Áedán
Old 9th January, 2003, 04:37 PM

these are the guys who gave me the quote - http://www.etdyn.com/

Quote:
"We tend to sell the assemblies into the industrial market only, the prices tend to be too high for the PC overclockers market and we are often approached for this sort of application. When we submit prices this is normally where it ends after hearing comments like “…that costs more than the PC..!...” etc. But for the record, the LL-046 unit is £98 plus VAT ranging up to the LL-290 at £264 plus VAT.."
Sorry... the cheapest one was a 46w peltier based module!!
Old 10th January, 2003, 09:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

These PC's can be an expensive addiction.
Old 10th January, 2003, 11:05 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Marci, keep us posted, a copper version would be nice to see.... wonder if thats what the final version will use?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2003, 11:55 AM

As expected, the standard version featuring 2 blocks and 1 pelt doesn't perform up to par with a 220w pelt... drop the lot in a bath and you'll get a block of Ice round the cold block, and it drops temps of the water by 8 degrees, but once a load is put on it it becomes fairly ineffective...

They're getting the center plate which allows pelt's to be stacked sorted out.... apparently it becomes effective using 2x156w or 2x220w....
Old 11th January, 2003, 12:02 PM

On a side note tho, I used to prat around with this idea myself, and made a 3.5" HDD Bay sized equivalent ages ago... found that aluminium for the cold block worked best and copper for the hot block... why are aluminium heatsinks so bad? Cos they get damn hot damn quick, whereas copper takes longer... so in theory same applies to cold temps... aluminium would get colder quicker when a tec is applied to it than copper would? I dunno... then I ask myself "so why use copper coldplates and not aluminium?"

Anyways, I gave up on it long ago... these guys seem to be continuing on with it and we're keeping an eye on it to see if it gets anywhere fruitful...

So, stay tuned... when I get the center plate I'll be back!