AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th March, 2003, 07:33 PM

My case fans and the connections

i just bought 3 case fans that are going to require a 3 pin connector to motherboard, does anyone know if an asus asn8x motherboard will accommadate all this, and if not where to get adapter so it will?
Old 13th March, 2003, 01:26 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's somewhat unusual to find more than two 3-Pin fan riser's on today's mainboards. You can buy adapters so that a fan with a 3-Pin plug can plug into the chain of 4-Pin "Molex" connectors from the power supply. A fancy version of these adapters will let you plug the tachometer wire from the fan into a mainboard's 3-Pin fan riser--so that you can monitor how fast the fan is spinning--while the fan is safely powered from main power.

These adapters can be bought from www.2cooltek.com . There are other etailers that sell them, too.

The mobo's fan riser's can't handle much power. While CPU and case fans use a lot more Amperage than they did a few years ago, mainboard maker's conveniently overlook this. Personally, I don't plug a fan that draws more current than a 27 cfm processor fan does into a motherboard's 3-Pin fan riser.
As the weakest fan I run is a 38 cfm Screamer, fan riser's have been unemployed for years in my house---except to monitor rpm.
Old 13th March, 2003, 11:44 AM
Member/Contributer

As cloasters says, its generally not a great idea to use the 3-pin mobo connections. However, there are 3 of them on my A7V333, and I'm sure there are at least 2 on that asus board you've got there. Scan the net for images of it, they are easy to locate.