AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd February, 2004, 12:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to purplemohawkman Send a message via Yahoo to purplemohawkman

Question is 2 better than 1?????? Heads or radiators?

for those who followed my 'movin on up' case mod adventure movin on up! im trying to figure out a possible "optimal" set up for what i got???? tomorrow im taking a trip to the hardware store for some more hose fittings (i didnt buy enuff last time). but im looking for some ideas that would help or any expantion on my ideas

current water cooling equipment:
pump: EHEIM 1048 @ 10 l/min (~158 gal/hr)w/ Innovatek Tank-O-Matic Plugon - Small
Resevoir: Innovatek Tank-O-Matic
CPU block: Innovatek X-Flow
GPU block: Innovatek Graph-O-Matic Rev2
Radiator 1: Innovatek innovaRadi-D Dual 120mm
Radiator 2: Thermochill HE 120.3 triple 120mm

PLEASE READ: movin on up! in order to see and possibly understand how things are placed in my case!!!!!
-160gig WD sata, 80gig WD SE, 60g maxtor,
-x800pro w/ Graph-O-Matic Rev2 H20 block
-logitec z5300 5.1
-Chieftec Matrix full tower w/ Antec True430

Last edited by purplemohawkman; 23rd February, 2004 at 01:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2004, 12:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Personally, I never bother with a resevoir for a closed loop system. It doesn't offer any real benefits, other than adding more water to leak out.
Old 23rd February, 2004, 12:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to purplemohawkman Send a message via Yahoo to purplemohawkman

heres some idea's im thinking about for the set up and for time saving purposes im going to the thermochill radiator as TRAD and the innovateck as IRAD and the large resevoir as LRES and the small resevoir as SRES hooks on to the pumps so that not much option there

current config:

SRES/pump-cpu-gpu-IRAD-TRAD-LRES-SRES
-logitec z5300 5.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2004, 01:08 PM

suggested ideas thers a lot of ways to configure this lol. first some simple setups

config 1: pump-cpu-gpu-irad-trad-lres (current)
config 2: pump-cpu-trad-gpu-irad-lres

the suggestion and arguement behind this and my current set up is to cool the water after being heated up that way cool water inters the pump cooling it that way

config 3: pump-TRAD-CPU-IRAD-GPU-LRES
config 4: pump-TRAD-IRAD-CPU-GPU-LRES

the suggestion and arguement behind these are that putting the radiators after the pump will disipate the heat from the pump and cool the water before it goes to the CPU

some more complex ideas like spliting flow in 2 directions

config 5: pump-cpu-gpu-(split)trad and irad(join)-lres
-logitec z5300 5.1
Old 23rd February, 2004, 01:16 PM

your thoughts would be very welcome aedan. never hurts to have biggest brain of them all! im also looking for a good way to bleed the air out of my system if any one has an idea for that to?
-logitec z5300 5.1
Old 23rd February, 2004, 03:38 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Hmm, very full setup you have there.

Given the amount of hardware you have on your cooling loop, I'm assuming that you have one almighty pump to overcome the pressure drop of the system and get some sort of flowrate out of the system.

In this case, the pump is going to be chucking out a lot of heat into the water - pumps typically use the liquid they pump as their own cooling system to stop their motors overheating. I suggest that you put the pump onto the inlet of a radiator so that you're not simply pouring warm water over your chips.

If you've got the time and willpower for a slightly more complex solution, you might want to try a configuration thus:

Code:
                        |--CPU--|
        ---PUMP---RAD1--|       |---Expansion Header--RAD2--->
                        |--GPU--|
You'll need quite a lot of valve work to balance the flows properly between the CPU sink and the GPU sink, but overall you should end up with a generally smaller system pressure drop, so faster flow, thus better cooling.

I suggest you ditch the reservoir - their only purpose is to disguise poor systems by adding a huge time-delay in their heating characteristic. You will need to allow some space for the water to expand - you can't rely only on the flexibility of tubing. And as you rightly stated, you'll want some easy way to bleed the system of air. The simple solution to this is: at the highest point in the system, have a section of 1" dia tube, about 6 " long should be enough, with a gate valve at the top. On the other side of the gate valve, have some narrower tubing that leads to a safe place. When you prime the system, set it so that this tube is half full of air - this becomes your expansion header and bleed valve.

When you first set up the system, fill the cooling circuit until your expansion header is half full of water.
Old 23rd February, 2004, 04:04 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I would get a larger pump, either an Eheim 1250 or a Mag3.

Pump>smaller RAD>CPU>Larger RAD>GPU>pump

This will get rid of heat from the pump before it hits the CPU and then get rid of heat from CPU befor it hits the GPU.

I alsodon't use a RES. My system is simple, pump>rad>cpu>pump. After the cpu I have a 1" T. It has 1/2" coming in, 1" tubing going up (about 6") then a huge plastic ball vlv on top, and 1" tubing going back to suction side of pump.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 23rd February, 2004, 04:48 PM

this sux, im having one of those moments were i cant visualize anything i almost want to ask for pictures of what you guess are talking about for bleeders, probably cause its past my bed time, but the pump is a consideration i may upgrade after i get a new block w/ pelt, (real reason for 2 rads)
-logitec z5300 5.1

Last edited by purplemohawkman; 23rd February, 2004 at 05:27 PM.