AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st August, 2005, 08:15 PM

x800 Cooling

What would you guys suggest when it comes to cooling an x800? A Zalamn VF700 or an Arctic Cooling Silencer?
Old 1st August, 2005, 08:47 PM
Member/Contributer

The zalmans slightly cheaper, I think their quieter and the memory cooling is far better than with arctic cooling units so I'd recomend the zalman

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2005, 08:50 PM
AOA Staff

Be sure to check that there is physical space to fit whichever you go for.
Old 1st August, 2005, 09:03 PM

There's sufficient space for either one. I have an Ultra-D so I don't think the air from the Zalman's gonna help memory cooling much. Is the exhaust system on the Arctic cooling silencer worth it over the Zalman?
Old 1st August, 2005, 09:07 PM
AOA Staff

I think Graham means the memory on the video card.
Old 1st August, 2005, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
I think Graham means the memory on the video card.
Ah, right. I think I'll go with the Zalman then. Thanks!
Old 1st August, 2005, 09:13 PM
Member/Contributer

The exhaust system doesn't make all that much differance to be honest, I've seen no improvement in system temps between my nv5 cooled 6800 and my stock 9800 (which got hotter) it does a fair job of cooling the core, but it's memory cooling is very poor

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:00 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

unless you have an intake fan blowing directly at the card. In which case, the artic cooler is a much better cooler. modding is a must tot get proper performance out of the artic silencer line.

All that being said, i still recommend that zalman cooler.
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

What sort of modding?

Im about to buy one for my 9600XT, the noise from that thing is driving me nuts.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:16 PM

dunno for sure about that one, but the opening needs to be a bit smaller, for one.

the meme heatsinks never mate properly to mem, because of the way meme is mounted to the card, not the artic heatsink, so you have to use white silicon paste for the mem.

the x800 heatsink for the gpu should not touch the mem. if anything, they should have a waraparound peice that covers both sides of mem, so that the tmep between both banks is equal.

i could go on....
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:39 PM

Go with the Artic Silencer, I have one on my x800pro and it makes xt speeds NP, my idle temperatures, before I accidently broke the back clip was anywhere from 25-31C. O'cd was 35-43C Idle. Zalman fans also have a history of dying on me, not to mention the pump for a water cooling system a friend has dying...but thats just my exp.
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:41 PM

no offense intended, but i have both units. the zalman IS the better one. the artic silencers have fan issues as well, so i think that's just relative.
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:41 PM

Great, let's add to the confusion. btw what kind of case is that cadaveca?
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:42 PM

in my avvie is the Tt Tsunami. orange blue fan is over mobo mosfets, lower fan is tied to the side of the vidacrd. middle fan is in the opening in the sdie panel window.
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:45 PM

That's what I thought. I have a tsunami aswell. Yours looks awesome. Nice work!