AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th September, 2002, 07:29 PM

Looking for good inline pump

I've fancied converting from my submersible pump to an inline one, I wondered if any of you knew of a quiet one, and what extra hassle will it be having an inline (filling the system etc).
Old 17th September, 2002, 08:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Eheim all the way
I use a 1048 model, 3/8" silicon tubing that stretches tightly over the 1/2" nipples on the pump and rad. My DD Maze3 is a 3/8th's" block.
I have a 'T' in the highest point of my lines with about an 8" length of tube that I can fill from, and the bubbles eventually migrate to.

Works very well, and the only way you know if the pump is running is by listening for a very small 'tick' when it first starts.
I also have an LED that comes on when the power to the pump kicks in, but I don't trust lights, so I listen for that 'tick' every time.

I also experimented with flow direction, and on my system, I found that if the pump 'sucks' the hot water return from the water block, and 'pushes' it into the radiator, I got what appears to be about a 2C drop in CPU temp.

Cooling a slightly o/c XP2000 @ 1823MHz (145fsb), one bump each on the vcore and vdimm voltages, normal average daily temps are mid 30's on my cpu.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow

Last edited by Orbit; 17th September, 2002 at 08:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2002, 10:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I use an inline, I've used submersed, inline is less hassel if anything. I use a Danner Mag-Drive 250GPH, bought it at www.petsmart.com for like $35 or something. This thing can lift the water pretty high, which indicates a higher pressure than comparable pumps(in terms of volume rate).The pump is absolutely silent. The impeller only has 3 blades though, this causes pressure waves in the loop that make the hoses bounce around a little.

Does anyone know the volume and head ratings for the Eheim1048?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 17th September, 2002 at 10:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2002, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbit
I also experimented with flow direction, and on my system, I found that if the pump 'sucks' the hot water return from the water block, and 'pushes' it into the radiator, I got what appears to be about a 2C drop in CPU temp.
My system is the same way, for the same reason . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 17th September, 2002, 10:19 PM

well I've had mixed responses from people, some say that my submersible will be quieter than an inline and that is easier to fill, on other hand some say the exact opposite, I dont know who to trust anymore.

anyone know a good supplier of a eheim pumps in the UK?

also can a reservoir be put into the system, or would it be unwise, bear in mind all the cooling the water will get is running through an old car radiator with no fans, as I refuse to have fans at all apart from on my power supply.
Old 17th September, 2002, 10:28 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by loop
also can a reservoir be put into the system, or would it be unwise, bear in mind all the cooling the water will get is running through an old car radiator with no fans, as I refuse to have fans at all apart from on my power supply.
You will want to put an expansion tank in the system. Otherwise, with a sealed system, as the temperature goes up, so does the pressure, until something leaks. It doesn't need to hold too much air (Kaitain can help here.... around the 100cc mark?), and wants to be at the highest point in the system. You can seal it quite happily, and you can also use it for topping up the system.

AidanII
Old 17th September, 2002, 11:02 PM

hmmm,
I'm thinking of dedicating a complete midi case to the system and having the just 2 pipes going to the block in my full tower. (or other way round, dont know yet)
I was thinking of this layout
pump and radiator in bottom of case with a reservoir (expansion tank) in the drive bays. Would some sort of small bucket with a really tight pop on lid do it?? and how would the construction of this expansion tank be?? a pipe going in through the roof of the bucket from the cpu, then a pipe leading directly out of the water and back into the pump??
also I take it an inline pump has to be primed, how is this done?? merely sucking water through the pipes until the water level is past the pump??
Old 17th September, 2002, 11:58 PM

If your buying an entire system in the u then www.overclockedpc.co.uk are very good and Jess who runs it is a genunely helpfull bloke.

Personally I prefer a submerged pump system, you will get slightly higher flowrate and filling/bleeding is loads easyer than running inline.

I use a eheim 1250 i got from aquatics online.

If you do run inline then id recomend this order. Pump-rad=block-res-return to pump.

You can swap block and res about if your tubing fits better that way (should only make 0.1/2*c difference)

Running fanless on a duron 1 gig is possible but I think id probably just put a quiet 80-92mm fan on the rad at a low voltage just to get some airflow. Without any airflow you tend to get stagnant hot air and poor temps.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 18th September, 2002, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
You will want to put an expansion tank in the system.
You just leave some air in the fill line, or use a pressure relief mechanism. A tank takes up too much space.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2002, 12:13 AM

I use a separate case for my rad/pump:
http://www.crowdesigns.apachego.com/athlon/ccbox.htm
Works well, and the temps are lower because you're not adding heat to the system, and it's always cool room air going thru my rad. I also use a heater core from a '93 chev p/u truck. Lots of radiating space. Two 120mm fans blow thru it. Mine takes about a little less than 1/2 US Gal. to fill it. I do not have an expansion tank, but I believe the filler tube acts as one, as well as a bubble trapper.
Just a big hassle to move around, to say the least.

Old 18th September, 2002, 07:51 AM

can anyone tell me noise difference though??
will an inline be louder than a submerged??
Old 18th September, 2002, 10:58 AM

submerged is quieter providing you reduce vibration.
I suspend my pump on thing nylon string and it is extremely quiet.

left rested on the bottom of the res it vibrates allot and you can hear it (thats the same if its resting on the bottom of your case.

Often a peice f foam is enough to reduce most vibration and noise.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 18th September, 2002, 12:09 PM

I think I will probably stick with my submerged for the time being but just try to construct a better reservoir (one that doesnt vibrate or leak)
Old 18th September, 2002, 03:03 PM

I also have my Eheim on a small block of foam, then I use Velcro to secure the pump to the side of the case.
There is no noise from this pump whatsoever, other than the initial 'click' when it starts.
I like the 2 year warranty and the fact that the parts are replaceable. It's a good commercial quality pump.