AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Advice on New Watercooler Setup Parts And Temps (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9613)

GR|M 25th September, 2002 10:41 AM

Advice on New Watercooler Setup Parts And Temps

Hi,

Ive recently setup my first watercooling system and would appreciate some help on the parts ive selected and using now and the temperatures i am getting, just to know if these parts are good enough, if there are better and if my temperatures are as expected.

My Setup:

Eheim 1048 Centrifugal Pump
Danger Den Maze 3-1 1/2" (I got the 3-1 cos im gonna add a peltier at some point)
OCPC The "Abyss" Black Radiator (New UK Watercooling Manufacturer) You Can see The Rad at http://www.coolhardware.co.uk/abyss.htm
Home Made Rez
Tubing is thick silicone stuff

Temps and the rest:

After running the setup for a week or so Im glad to say I have no leaks and its all running good, with temps the same as they were the first day. This is where im concerned but only a little bit. My CPU IDLE temp is 41 degrees and my CPU LOAD temp is 47 degrees, as im new to watercooling I dont know if this is good, but i notice that the temps are only 2 degrees lower than what I used to get with my PAL Alpha 8045.

On another note my motherboard is an Epox 8K5A3+, my cpu is a locked 1800+ which is overclocked to 2100+ @ 1680 mhz. I have Corsair PC3200 DDR ram and my cpu vcore is 1.900v.

The waterblock is in v.good contact with the core, and on another note i use 7 volted Evercool 120mm fans on my radiator as i really want to keep down on that noise (everything for the watercooling setup i.e pump/rez/rad is all outside of the case). The number of fans on the radiator is 4, 2 on back 2 on front all 4 blowing/sucking air thro the rad in the same direction.

Any help/criticism on parts and the way its setup and if possible on how to get a lower temp would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Random Nonsense 25th September, 2002 10:47 AM

Good selection of components. Though i'd never advise buying a "proper" radiator. Car heatercores all the way for me! :)

Temperature wise its Ok, seems warm to me, but thats just the way i am! 40c is my usual cut off point for LOAD temps, but im a freak! :)

GR|M 25th September, 2002 10:55 AM

hehe, the rad cost me £65 :( and i cant send it back cos i dremeled off some annoying fan clip things that were in the way, but from reveiws and that they say its better than any blackice stuff, but not alot of feedback as yet cos they are new. I thought about going to the scappies but sat back in my chair and clicked "buy" instead :-D

On another side note do u think that the above setup with temps in mind etc would be able to cope with the cooling of a 220watt TEC/Peltier. Sorry for all the questions :rolleyes:

Random Nonsense 25th September, 2002 11:01 AM

No problem. I'd be wary using a TEC, since it looks like you are nearing the total capacity of your system if you are approaching 50c. Ive never got to play with TEC's I hope to at some point soon. Several people here know a lot more about them. I expect someone more qualified will reply soon!

My pair of Rads cost me £20, and ive pumped over 200 watts into one with no rise in coolant temp. Still they dont look as professional as a specialty watercooling one.

Jessfm 5th October, 2002 09:00 PM

The rad is good for a TEC setup, users on Bigforums that have similar setups see 5c rise with a load of arround 700W total - not bad.We tested the Abyss to 2Kw , but TBH that means very little.
Problem with majority of car heater cores is they are Alu based. The OCPC rad are Twin Oval tube designs with High comapct copper fins(full length). Made from Copper and brass components, with soldered joints. All pre-pressure tested to 100PSI air , submerged in a dip tank means they are about as good and safe as a rad can get.
Pressure drop And other specs at http://www.coolhardware.co.uk/abyss.htm
The Maze3 does not perform all that great with lowish flows, its total surface area close to the critical area is very low. Since you have such a large radiator it would have been worth you going for a 1250 pump.
But temp readings are very innacurate on SoA Motherboards, do a little experiment. Get a fan fitted so it points at the Waterblock/Socket area, and watch your temps drop. This would be a more consistant comparison as you will now have airflow around the socket area as you get with a HSF - sadly temp reading are to be taken with a pinch of salt from AMD setups, but one thing you can always rely on every motherboard will read wrong.
Watercooling will help otherways for your setup - you should find stability at higher overclocks, especialy with higher vcore.

robbie 5th October, 2002 10:52 PM

Did you make sure that you got all the "air" out of the system?
Rob