AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th May, 2003, 08:03 PM

New 8RDA+ Will Not Boot

I just built my new system yesterday it is:

2200+ Athlon XP
80GB Special Edition Western Digital
512MB (2 256) Kingston RAM
48X CDRW
9700 Pro ATI Radeon
300w Evercase ATX Case

After assembling everything my machine will power up and then shut down almost immediately (after a couple seconds). I had the motherboard, ram, and CPU 'assembled and tested' by MWAVE before they sent it to me but it just will not work. I am about to go out and buy a new power supply but I have a feeling that is not the problem. How can I tell if it is a 'short'? And what can I do about it if it is? This is so frustrating, I have NEVER been able to build a rig without serious problems.
Old 7th May, 2003, 08:28 PM
Member/Contributer

Does it get to show anything on the screen before shutting down? Does it make any sounds? Does the hdd and fans spin up?

Disconnect CDrom, hard drive, CDRW, sound card, nic, etc. Try again now... any changes?
Old 7th May, 2003, 09:12 PM

The new Power Supply did not work. The machine makes no beeps and nothing shows up on the screen at all. The fans all start spinning and all the LEDs come on but then a couple seconds later everything shuts down.

I have already tried to boot with just he bare essentials hooked up but that did not matter. I am so fed up. I know it is going to be absolute hell trying to get MWAVE to send me another one.. that is if I can even get a hold of them. I am just about ready to scrap the whole thing and not even mess with computers again.
Old 7th May, 2003, 09:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Postaldave Send a message via AIM to Postaldave

i would pull everything out and reseat it.... i have had alot of pre-assembled equipment come loose... and no beeps and no video is a sign i've seen very often related to loose processor connection... happened alot with slot processors

but i would reseat everything and do like allan said... remove everything except mobo...proc...ram (only 1 stick if you have 2 or more) and vid card

if you are really serious about it try the ram and vid card out befoer hand in another machine that is already known to be good.... and see if they work..

but if everything goes good with just the proc, ram and vid card.... them add one device at a time... DRIVES LAST! and try to get into the bios.... then if that works add the hard drive only and see if it will boot then...... if it does it was prolly just a loose connection

good luck hope this helps

postal
Phaustus - 60 Troll Shaman
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2003, 09:18 PM

sorry you replied while i was psoting that last post

in the case you already tried the abre essentials i would actually try removing the mobo and reseating it to the case.... lots of times people will assemble the mobo to the case and it will be grounded out to the case..... make sure you have the little seprators (look like cloth rings) around the screw holes that screw the mobo to the case

also look up an atx power supply diagram and use a multimeter to test the connector on the ps.... that will tell you if it is bad.... if you dont know electronics then just get a new ps from someone (aka borrow it) or buy one with intention of returning it (obviously dont tell the store that but make sure you can return it if its bad or something)

and hook that up and see if it works...

again..good luck

postal
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2003, 09:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

While you have it out of the Box, try testing it with just the CPU and RAM, The led should run though a bunch of diagnostics then settle into the FF mode. If it does this you'll know your board to be good. Good Luck!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 7th May, 2003, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
While you have it out of the Box, try testing it with just the CPU and RAM, The led should run though a bunch of diagnostics then settle into the FF mode. If it does this you'll know your board to be good. Good Luck!

is that something with this type of board daniel?... thats kewl..learn something new every day

postal
AOA Team fah
Old 12th May, 2003, 03:28 AM

Hi, Just a hunch , it could be the thermal protection built into the motherboard . You may want to check that the heatsink is making correct contact with the exposed chip on the top of the cpu. If they used the thermal pad it can be removed and put a very small amount of Artic Silver thermal compound or similiar thermal grease to make contact. IT ONLY TAKES A LITTLE. The reason for the shout is because others have had problems by using too much (It is a conductor and there are exposed cicuits on the top of the cpu). I have had this quick shutdown problem because of this, although it (my pc) was able to boot into windows, about 1 minute.
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah

Last edited by timbob2469; 12th May, 2003 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12th May, 2003, 04:03 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Postaldave

is that something with this type of board daniel?... thats kewl..learn something new every day

postal
I'm insure of which models have this feature, but I believe that it's in EPoX boards from at lest from the 8k5a2 on.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic