AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th July, 2003, 08:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Chupacabras

Problems with 802.11b network at home.

This problem is rather annoying.

In our hoursehold, we have a wireless Hawking router. I know its not the best, but it works. To access the router, I've got a 802.11b USB SMC EZ connect wireless device for the desktop computer and a SMC 802.11b pccard for my laptop.

Everything works fine from the laptop. Both the PC card and USB adapter are assigned proper ips by the dchp, and everything's smooth. However, on the desktop, I cant get the USB device to literally see the wireless network. Nor can I get an adhoc network up between the pccard and the desktop. I've tried different usb ports, but no go. Both are running windows xp. The adapter installs fine, just it seems like it cant detect any wireless network around from the desktop.

I've had this problem before, and I think I solved using a very technical approach: when the usb adapter is plugged into the laptop (its IP is assigned via hardware adress, so with the device, its always the same), and quickly plug it into the desktop. I swear that's what I did a few months back, but since I have reformatted the desktop and havent been able to get the adapter working again.

I know its not a range issue, because the laptop is right beside the deskop as I fool with it. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 25th July, 2003, 03:37 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This post deserves a bump, and it's about time it got one!
Old 27th July, 2003, 10:35 PM

Same workgroup ? (I put it in case sensative, even though winxp shows it as all CAPS), I guess you tried unplugging everything and pressing reset on the router and then power up 1 device at a time going down the line. And I assume you have tried the Internet Connection Wizard. Have you tried Right clicking lan properties and choosing repair?
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th July, 2003, 11:38 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

If your wireless router acts as an access point, you do not want to run in Ad-Hoc mode. Instead, you want infrastructure. The access point will co-ordinate communications at the wireless level.

Now, if you're not getting the desktop to even see the wireless adapter, it wouldn't matter what mode you used. When you connect the wireless adapter, do you see the device appear in the device manager at all?
Old 8th August, 2003, 02:09 AM

Thanks for the bump

The adapter is installed and dected by windows. Regardless of what kind of network, from the desktop with the usb adapter it cant see anything. Not infrastructure, not adhoc. I've tried connection to the wireless router and an adhoc network with my laptop.

What's weird is when I somehow did manage to get it working once, the adapter only worked when i plugged it in that specific usb port. Plugging it into any others would result in the same issue i'm having now with all the ports.

And yep, its the same workgroup as my laptop. Even if they were different, the wireless should atleast be able to detect its presence. Any more ideas would be great. Thanks.
Old 8th August, 2003, 03:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Postaldave Send a message via AIM to Postaldave

i accidently switched my WAP (wireless access point) over to ad-hoc once and it screwed up everything.... i suggest doing a harware reset on your access point... you mightve inadvertently changed a setting or it mgihtve locked up somehow.. had mine do that once....

so yea try doing a hardware reset then logging in and making sure it is not in ad-hoc mode.... then try running wutever install program you recieved with it or the wireless nic

good luck
postal
Phaustus - 60 Troll Shaman
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th August, 2003, 04:21 AM

No luck with the reset :\ Didnt think that was the problem though because it works perfectly fine from the laptop. I had a similar problem with my PCI AMD ethernet adapter. Windows would detect the card, it'd install, look like it'd be working, but not be able to ping any other computer on the network--like it was the only one there. The card would work in win98, but not win2000, or in xp pro. I just ended up getting another network card.

I'd rather not put down the $$ to buy another usb adapter on the asumption that it may fix the problem.
Old 11th August, 2003, 04:19 AM

Is this USB 2.0 ? I have a 128MB Lexar thumbdrive that only works at the back of my pc with the Epox USB cable/socket. When I try and use the front USB outlets that came with the case it is not detected but other devices (Mouse, keyboard) work fine through the front USB.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 13th August, 2003, 05:16 PM

Nope, its not a USB 2.0 device. Thanks for the tip anyway though I'm thinking it has to be a software issue with Windows XP--or maybe the USB drivers with the desktop. The AMD experience could be totally unrelated--has anyone had a similar problem with an older ethernet card and XP? The only real difference between the system now and before was that I have SP1 installed now. But even before, w/o it, I think it was out of sheer dumbluck that I was finally able to get it working somehow.
Old 13th August, 2003, 05:32 PM

I've an old ISA (!) ethernet card running on an Athlon system with no problem. I've also got some older realtek cards that run fine on Athlons.

Does the system sucessfully lease an address, or do you not use DHCP?
Old 14th August, 2003, 12:12 AM

I should have been a bit clearer, when I said AMD experience, I meant with my AMD ethernet card. Windows XP has problems with the AMD network card, when it would detect, and install it without issues, but it couldnt see the network. However, I'm also running an AMD XP Proc.

And yeah the system has no problem with the wired network's DCHP. Actually come to think of it, my desktop isnt part of the home's workgroup--nevermind. Err, come to think of it i cant remember if the desktop rejoined the wired network domain or not after I reformatted. I might have been too lazy--it might be the problem, but i'm totally sure the laptop isnt part of the domain...as its never been wired to the network. But who knows, the two are conflicting somehow on the desktop. I'm down on campus right now, so i'll have to check when I get home.

Here's hoping..
Old 14th August, 2003, 10:35 AM

If you can get a DHCP address across the wireless connection, then that would indicate tha the wireless adapter is working fine, and the problem lay within windows networking.

If you can't lease a DHCP address, then that would tend to point towards the adapter and it's driver.

It's just another step of narrowing things down...