AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th August, 2003, 04:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

Question 56k modem no dial tone after thunderstorm

hi,

i have a 56k modem inside a sony vaio. we had a severe thunderstorm (with lightning) a couple of days ago and i think it did something to the modem. i no longer get a dial tone but i know the phone jack works. the phone line was not connected to the belkin surge protector which supposedly grounds the line, i'm not sure about that.

i had the same problem a year ago but i didn't think much of it before.

is the thunderstorm related to the 56k modem failure? and if so, is there a way to prevent it? also i'm shopping for a modem now. any recommendations?

thanks,
barneygumble742
Old 12th August, 2003, 05:20 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Of course it is possible that a thunderstorm took out your modem. I would try physically removing the modem from the computer, uninstalling the drivers and uninstall it from the device manager. Then reinstall it. Also try a diferent phone cord.

Come to think of it I did have a problem with not getting a dialtone one time but the jack worked with a phone and the computer worked in another jack. It turned out that some moisture had goten into the jack and caused corosion on the contacts. Changing out the phone jack fixed the problem.

So first thing, check the computer n another jack with another phone cord. Then uninstall and reinstall. Then try a new modem. Any hardware based modem is best but todays computers are so fast a soft moden will get it done.

Good luck

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2003, 06:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

if you need a cheap modem newegg has a decent winmodem for like 12$ shipped.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!