AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th November, 2004, 05:03 PM

Failed 8KRA2+

Hello everyone,

Had my system for just over a year. It was working this morning, but after lunch I powered it up and it gave a long beep and then 2 short beeps after.

The monitor didn't come out of sleep mode (the monitor light just flashed), so its not even showing the BIOS display.

So I've tried replacing the video card (AGP) and that didn't make a difference.

I looked for leaked capacitors, everything seems intact. The PSU is running fine, the CPU fan is running fine, the GPU fan is running fine, in fact everything looks good, apart from it not running at all.

Removed the memory, and gave a string of beeps, put memory back in, and it beeped like it did before.

Reset the CMOS with the jumper changed, pressed power on for 10 seconds, and put the jumper back and rebooted. -Still dead on its feet.

Specs:
Epox 8KRA2+
2500+ Barton AMD
512MB 400Mhz Memory
Matrox G450
Ps/2 keyboard and mouse

What could go wrong so suddenly? And do I need a new motherboard?

Thanks very much,

Cameron.
Old 15th November, 2004, 06:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I believe that one long and two short is the video. Since you've already done the obvious and replaced the video card, the only other thing I can suggest is to try reseting your CMOS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2004, 06:23 PM

I did that (reset the CMOS). -Does this mean for reasons unknown that my motherboard is now dead?

Thanks..
Old 15th November, 2004, 06:40 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

system needs 5 things to POST

A PSU
A mobo
A cpu
A video card
And Ram

The best thing to do at this point is try aking each on and trying it in another system to see if it works. IE: don't just swap the video card and try another one in your system, but also put your video card in another system and see if it works. Do the same with the RAM and CPU. If all of your components work in another mobo but not your mobo then you definately know it is the problem.

Do you have another socket A system to swap parts with?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2004, 08:34 PM

I'll have to phone a friend to get another athlon class system to test on.

Thanks for your help!
Old 16th November, 2004, 04:13 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Dude, the same thing happen to a friend of mine. I suggest to take out the cpu and power up the computer while there is no CPU on the mainboard. After that reinsert the cpu (the system must be off) and start the pc. This solved his problem and hopefuly may solve yours.

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 31st March, 2006, 05:12 PM

my 8KRA2+ just died (posting just "FF") and fans/drives going - this is already my 2nd board, first was RMAd after 3 months for exactly the same reason. Now 18 months on and it's happened again - though Epox are being obstinate about accepting it back under warranty (despite the website saying theres a 36month warranty on boards purchased after 1/1/04).

So my question to you guys is:
is what chrisbard says advisable? will it potentially do irreparable damage to the mobo, not do anything or "worth a go"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
Dude, the same thing happen to a friend of mine. I suggest to take out the cpu and power up the computer while there is no CPU on the mainboard. After that reinsert the cpu (the system must be off) and start the pc. This solved his problem and hopefuly may solve yours.

Chris
Old 31st March, 2006, 05:31 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

It will not damage the mobo. Wether or not it will help is unprdictable, but it is worth a try.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.