AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th July, 2003, 09:57 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Big Windows NT/2000/XP security hole

This was sent to me recently, so I'm reproducing it here so everyone knows. Formatting has been slightly changed to make it fit into AOA!

Advisory
Title: Potential For Significant Impact On Internet Operations Due To Vulnerability In Microsoft Operating Systems
Date July 24, 2003

SYSTEMS AFFECTED: Computers using the following operating systems:
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Services Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

OVERVIEW
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) / Information Analysis and Infrastructure Protection (IAIP) National Cyber Security Division (NCSD) is issuing this advisory in consultation with the Microsoft Corporation to heighten awareness of potential Internet disruptions resulting from the possible spread of malicious software exploiting a vulnerability in popular Microsoft Windows operating systems.

DHS expects that exploits are being developed for malicious use. Two additional factors are causing heightened interest in this situation: the affected operating systems are in wide spread use, and exploitation of the vulnerability could permit the execution of arbitrary code. DHS and Microsoft are concerned that a properly written exploit could rapidly spread on the Internet as a worm or virus in a fashion similar to Code Red or Slammer.

IMPACT
The recently announced Remote Procedure Call (RPC) vulnerability in computers running Microsoft Windows operating systems listed above could be exploited to allow the execution of arbitrary code or could cause a denial of service state in an unprotected computer. Because of the significant percentage of Internet-connected computers running Windows operating systems and using high speed connections (DSL or cable for example), the potential exists for a worm or virus to propagate rapidly across the Internet carrying payloads that might exploit other known vulnerabilities in switching devices, routers, or servers.

DETAILS
There is a vulnerability in the part of RPC that deals with message exchange over TCP/IP. The vulnerability results from the handling of malformed messages. This particular vulnerability affects a Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) interface with RPC, which listens on RPC enabled ports. This interface handles DCOM object activation requests that are sent by client machines (such as Universal Naming Convention (UNC) paths) to the server. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability would be able to run code with local system privileges on an affected system. The attacker would be able to take any action on the system, including installing programs, viewing changing or deleting data, or creating new accounts with full privileges.

RECOMMENDATION
Due to the seriousness of the RPC vulnerability, DHS and Microsoft encourage system administrators and computer owners to take this opportunity to update vulnerable versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems as soon as possible. Microsoft updates, workarounds, and additional information are available at http://microsoft.com/technet/treevie...n/MS03-026.asp

DHS and Microsoft further suggest that Internet Service Providers and network administrators consider blocking TCP and UDP ports 135, 139, and 445 for inbound connections unless absolutely needed for business or operational purposes.

Advisories recommend the immediate implementation of protective actions, including best practices when available. DHS encourages recipients of this advisory to report information concerning suspicious or criminal activity to law enforcement or a DHS watch office. The DHS Information Analysis and Infrastructure Protection watch offices may be contacted at:

For private citizens and companies – Phone: (202) 323-3205, 1-888-585-9078
Email: nipc.watch@fbi.gov
Online: http://www.nipc.gov/incident/cirr.htm

For telecommunications industry - Phone: (703) 607-4950
Email: ncs@dhs.gov

For Federal agencies/departments - Phone: (888) 282-0870
Email: fedcirc@fedcirc.gov
Online: https://incidentreport.fedcirc.gov

DHS intends to update this alert should it receive additional relevant information, including information provided to it by the user community. Based on this notification, no change to the Homeland Security Advisory System level (HSAS) is anticipated; the current HSAS level is YELLOW.
Old 27th July, 2003, 10:10 PM

For those who are curious, I have seen several different versions of code that will exploit this very vulnerability. I'm pretty sure we'll end up seeing a worm for this if people do not patch their machines!
Old 28th July, 2003, 07:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
For those who are curious, I have seen several different versions of code that will exploit this very vulnerability. I'm pretty sure we'll end up seeing a worm for this if people do not patch their machines!
Thank you for this news, Aedan!
I hope this patch doesn't break something in the process of fixing something. Oh me of little faith.
Old 28th July, 2003, 08:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Postaldave Send a message via AIM to Postaldave

we were notified and patched the same day as we just bought 14 new dual p4 xeon servers with win 2003 server

postal

thanks for the updates there buddy

did you guys get all the info on that wonderful cisco virus last week.... the one that wonderfully shut down the internet for a day lol....
Phaustus - 60 Troll Shaman
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th July, 2003, 12:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Ohhh windows with another security hole, what else is new?
Old 29th July, 2003, 10:06 AM

The cisco hole? Yeah, basically, all that was required was that the IOS device was sent packets with a certain IP ID on them, and that the TTL be 1 or 0. This appears to cause IOS to choke, and fail to remove the packet from the processing queue.

As that packet is stuck at the head of the processing queue, no packets after it could be processed. The workaround was to do some packet filtering, and filter the packets until you could upgrade the version of IOS.
Old 29th July, 2003, 04:31 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
The cisco hole? Yeah, basically, all that was required was that the IOS device was sent packets with a certain IP ID on them, and that the TTL be 1 or 0. This appears to cause IOS to choke, and fail to remove the packet from the processing queue.

As that packet is stuck at the head of the processing queue, no packets after it could be processed. The workaround was to do some packet filtering, and filter the packets until you could upgrade the version of IOS.
What I've seen about addressing this bug in Cisco routers is opaque to this particular dummy. Cisco lays out this information in a logical, easy to understand manner. Not exactly.
Old 29th July, 2003, 06:42 PM

Try
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707...-blocked.shtml

It explains the problem, the fixed versions of IOS and the work arounds, in a logical easy to follow manner. Yes, you need to have some level of familiarity with cisco routers before applying the workaround, but that goes for any products.
Old 30th July, 2003, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Try
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707...-blocked.shtml

It explains the problem, the fixed versions of IOS and the work arounds, in a logical easy to follow manner. Yes, you need to have some level of familiarity with cisco routers before applying the workaround, but that goes for any products.
Hey, I installed that patch from the Microsoft site. I'm using Windows 2000 Professional btw.

And now when I shut down or restart my PC it takes ALOT longer than it did before.

Before - 10 seconds max
After - 70+ seconds!

should I be worried about this? Everything seems to run ok, and it definately wasn't taking this long last night.

Last edited by The Running Man; 30th July, 2003 at 06:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2003, 08:35 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I'd worry if i was you.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd August, 2003, 12:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Running Man
Hey, I installed that patch from the Microsoft site. I'm using Windows 2000 Professional btw.

And now when I shut down or restart my PC it takes ALOT longer than it did before.

Before - 10 seconds max
After - 70+ seconds!

should I be worried about this? Everything seems to run ok, and it definately wasn't taking this long last night.
Same thing here on Win2000Pro at work.. It's worrying me! But then I do a hard restart, and it boot in 20sec..?
Old 2nd August, 2003, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGmA_X
Same thing here on Win2000Pro at work.. It's worrying me! But then I do a hard restart, and it boot in 20sec..?
heres news for ya, I uninstalled the patch & it boots up quick and shutdowns quick again.

The patch changes something, I do not know what. We need more information on this, the patch itself could be flawed.
Old 4th August, 2003, 04:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

After the patch, plus the even newer patch, I don't see an increase in shutdown time, in XP at any rate. Sometimes you can get lucky.
Old 8th August, 2003, 05:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

I have an extra 70sec at home and work, both ways.
Old 8th August, 2003, 08:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Many thanks Aedan! I immediately updated my boxes!
I'm going to check my start-up speeds now. But I don't believe I've seen an increase in start up times, but I may not have noticed as I don't reboot that often.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th August, 2003, 08:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

My #1 box boots in 60 sec. My #2 Box in 63 sec.

This is unchanged for me. Considering my Fast Track Raid card and Network connections, this seem fairly good boot for a 2000 Pro boxes. At lest it is unchanged.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th August, 2003, 09:45 PM

Humm... Mine spiked a lot.. :-\