AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 6th November, 2001, 01:45 AM

Epox Tech how!!!!

Hi Epox tech,

I was just looking at your sig....your at wahooo 2+Ghz you lucky b+++++++ I think I better get myself a Vacochill and have a wee challenge. Was it expensive!!!??!!

Congrats on your overclocked!!!!

I'll have my overclock sig (aircooled) will 1.8Ghz be reachable just wait and see!!

Great OC,

Paul..
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2001, 02:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Paul, perhaps it would be best to play with some inexpensive dry ice prior to purchasing a Vapochill. At least then you will know what kind of gains you can get with low low temperatures. Just an Idea . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2001, 04:22 AM

You might definitely want to try dry ice, but be careful how you apply it. Don't just dump pellets on your cpu or all over your board. It's probably easiest to take your air cooled heatsink and make a little carboard enclosure around it. Basically you want a container that you can dump powdered or pelletized dry ice into and it will sift down into the fins. You'll have to keep adding dry ice and perhaps stirring it a bit to keep the fins filled. This will give you fairly low temps - much lower than a vapochill, and you should have an idea of where you might go with a vapochill. Personally I'd like to hear directly from him what he's using. I tried dry ice on a 1.5gig XP and got no higher than 1840 (10.5X175) using memory and fsb timings that I knew already worked fine. Aseketek is claiming something in that general ball park as well. 2GH seems quite a stretch considering I only got to 1800 using dry ice. Maybe he used a hefty voltage mod.
Old 6th November, 2001, 05:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Actually, from personal experience, the method you suggest isn't the best Tim.

I've found that a plate of copper, fashioned to mount via the four holes around the ZIF, with a piece of PVC pipe epoxied to it, works well. You can then lay the motherboard flat, put a few inches of alcohol(or automotive windshield washer fluid) in the pipe. And drop a few large chunks of dry ice in the fluid.

If you leave the dry ice exposed to air, it will frost over. The frost insolates it.

If you submerge the dry ice in water, it will ice over. The ice insolates it.(only good for around -5C)

But if you submerge it in a non-freezing fluid, it will work very well.(I've read fluid temps of -32C with a non-contact thermometer using this approach)

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 6th November, 2001, 11:18 AM
EPoX Tech

It is true that I'm not completely stable - but not far from it though.

Fact is that at the moment I am using a P3-S notebook and as such cannot get WCPUID data until I return back home where it sits.

Until then - please do appreciate that it is maxed out on all 8K7A voltage without further modification.
Old 7th November, 2001, 07:24 PM

Well maybe not the best, but certainly fast and easy. Obviously you're not going to be using dry ice long term - not more than a few hours for a test, so personally I wouldn't go to all that trouble. I used this method on some Athlons and a P4. Using a thermistor probe attached to the heatsink I always got to at least -80F which is not too far from 109.3. If I wanted to try LN I would use something like you suggested.