AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th November, 2002, 05:36 AM

Just got 8rda, but will my gf4 (4xagp) run on this board?

I'm perusing the manual and in the agp slot it shows 8x (1.5v only) which makes me wonder if my 4x agp vid card will work. I've run searches on the threads here and didn't see this mentioned, so I'm hoping ET or somebody who has one of these boards can tell me?

I suppose that in about 3 hours I can find out the hard way, but I'd kinda like to know first before I pull everything out of my rig and slap this sweet ass mobo in.

Thanks,
K1
Old 30th November, 2002, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Israfel Send a message via Yahoo to Israfel

All motherboards that have AGP 8x are backwards-compatible...

The 8RDA can run at 2x/4x/8x

All motherboards incorporate this feature otherwise it would decrease their sales to people who have 4x now, and want 8x later (although there is virtually no difference, but that's not a discussion for now).

Hope I helped!
Old 30th November, 2002, 07:50 AM

Thanks mon. I *really* figured that was the case, but I didn't wanna hook this sucker up and get a nasty surprise. I can't wait to finish up the work I have to do and fire this puppy up! soooooonnnnn
Old 30th November, 2002, 07:52 AM

soooooooooo lucky!!! Ya better post back here real quick and tell us all how cool it is!

*looks at calendar*

13 days till mine... ohhhh so sweet
Old 30th November, 2002, 07:56 AM

About another hour of work left on the site I'm doing, then this mobo goes in. Super early preliminary results to follow soon after in a new thread.
Old 30th November, 2002, 01:03 PM

Are u sure that an 8x agp slot can handle a 2x card? I have heard the opposite and the 8rda manual agrees with me. I quote from it:"The AGP interface can support external AGP slot (1.5V only) with AGP 8X/4X and fast write transactions". Anyway this isn't pretty much of a problem since kosmic1 is talking about having a 4x agp card.
Old 30th November, 2002, 06:04 PM

Dunno about that 2x but I guess I should have read the manual front to back 'cause that would have answered my question. I didn't have time to put this in last night, but I got up early this morning and installed it. Right now I'm re-installing windows 2000, (had to) and I'll need to spend some time toying with all the bios features before I run any benches.
Old 30th November, 2002, 07:19 PM

The 8x AGP specs only support 4x and 8x gfx cards.

AGp2x runs at higher voltage and is not supported.
Sapphire ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
All components H2O cooled
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th November, 2002, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trekster
The 8x AGP specs only support 4x and 8x gfx cards.

AGp2x runs at higher voltage and is not supported.
Correctemundo!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th November, 2002, 11:29 PM

oh well, if you still own a 2x AGP card then you don't deserve the board... correctumundo Uncle Bob?
Old 1st December, 2002, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Israfel
oh well, if you still own a 2x AGP card then you don't deserve the board... correctumundo Uncle Bob?
Not really, be kind! Not everyone has unlimited resources! I still have a PCI 2MB video card floating around for when I need a card! If all Kosmic1 has is a 2x card, perhaps he will be verrrrrry dissapointed, tho! LOL It could end up looking like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Just got 8rda, but will my gf4 (4xagp) run on this board?-burntpcb.jpeg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 1st December, 2002, 12:08 AM

:O

SEND IT STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!

*runs*
Old 1st December, 2002, 12:15 AM

I have threatened to throw it away, along with my ISA network card and ISA modem cards but everytime I think about doing it, I end up being realy glad I had them on hand! I hardly have anything with an ISA slot anymore, tho! The vid card will stay in my parts drawer tho for a long time I'm sure.

Old 1st December, 2002, 12:18 AM

ISA... SOOOO BIG... sooo tasty

hey, I know it's off topic, but when physically putting the Athlon XP CPU into the Epox 8RDA+, which way does it go? Like, what way, does the athlon logo face?
Old 1st December, 2002, 12:24 AM

The underside of each chip has two adjacent corners without a pin in them and these correspond to the socket. Remember not to force the CPU as the pins will bend verrrrry easily as I (heavy handed Bob) have found out! CPU no workie after pins bent!!!

Old 1st December, 2002, 01:57 AM

well, I had a friend who bent one of the pins while taking it out of retail packaging (those things are alot more dangerous than OEM I'm telling you now)...

And all you have to do is get some sort of small solid object and push it straight again... even if it's not perfect, it will fit in, and then the pin-hole will straighten it up more...