AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th November, 2001, 12:46 AM

2 Probs with the EPOX 8KHA+ Mobo.. any help apreciated!

Hi i got 2 small probs with this mobo other then that its great

1. I have the 10/17/2001 Bios when i try to flash the new 11/02/2001 bios it just stalls in that awdflash program and doesnt do anything until i reboot.. so basically i cant flash the bios for some reason.

2. Why is the Memory scores on the Ahtlon Xp much lower then the ones on thunderbirds using the same motherboard. I would have thought XP would be much better any ideas?

Thanks any help is greatly apreciated
Old 10th November, 2001, 07:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

on the first issue: are you doing it off a a bootable floppy, or through that alt-f2 thingy? i know that some peeps have issues with the alt-f2 from bios method, so try the bottable floppy method.

as for the second bit.. dunno. sorry.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th November, 2001, 08:32 AM
EPoX Tech

I will second "proze" - If it is that the ALT+F2 method at POST is failing, please revert to the bootable floppy and update method.
Old 11th November, 2001, 07:53 PM

Yupe that floppy bootup did the job thanks.

any ideas tho on the memory thing being pretty low compared to a thunderbird weird
Old 11th November, 2001, 11:14 PM

Well this is quite an unsatisfactory answer, and I too was unhappy when I ran the benches...

But you have to remember that sisoft sandra is a sythetic benchmark. Perhaps if you could compare how long it takes to divx the same movie or run a seti unit with the xp and tbird - might be a better more "real life" benchmark.
Old 12th November, 2001, 12:03 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Well this is quite an unsatisfactory answer, and I too was unhappy when I ran the benches...

But you have to remember that sisoft sandra is a sythetic benchmark. Perhaps if you could compare how long it takes to divx the same movie or run a seti unit with the xp and tbird - might be a better more "real life" benchmark.
Or a folding WU

BTW, did I mention that our F@H team is always looking for more members

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2001, 04:47 AM
Member/Contributer

Superman

Get Em' Boy !!!
----------------------------------------------

Old 12th November, 2001, 04:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I feel folding@home and similar projects have there merit as a long term stability/durability tester(such projects have killed many MSI SocketA motherboards due to 24/7 load on the on-board power). With 3Dmark being the best for initial configuration stability testing. And with SiSoft Sandra being the best to pic apart different performance attributes of your system(like for measuring losses/gains in memory bandwidth with different BIOS configurations), but it's not the greatest for comparing different hardware configurations.

The point is that different benchmarking software fills different testing needs. Benchmark numbers won't help you unless you know what to do with them.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2001, 07:56 AM
EPoX Tech

Due to the manner in which the Palomino core addresses memory, your bandwidth scores should not be lower, but "different".

If youy add up your two previous scores for Sandra memory bandwidth and then add up the new ones with XP, you usually find the total score is increased for XP.

Different technology - different score.

As stated by Kaizer Soze though - a synthetic benchmark can be rather misleading - please do run a Realworld Application for a real comparitive stance.