AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th December, 2002, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrsteel74

8RDA+ won't post with only 1 stick of ram

Ok I've been running benchmarks and what not and it seems that having Dual Channel DDR has no performance increase. I thought maybe I should rearrange the order the memory dimms are in, I'm using 2 x 256MB Corsair PC3000 dimms. Right now the dimms are in slot 1 and slot 3 I ran the memory bandwidth benchmark of sisoft sandra version 2003.1.9.26. With my XP2400+ running at default speeds and memroy running at 133sync all speeds maxed out I score 2063/2000. Is it just me or doesn't that seem kind of low for this board?
Well I wanted to make sure that dual channel was enabled and I switched the dimms to slots 1 and 2. The computer posted and then just sat there like a bump on a log. Nothing happened, the computer posted, listed my memory, listed my drives and then just sat there. I could enter the bios no problems I even cleared the cmos and still nothing. Well I decided to see what happens with only 1 stick of ram and the same thing happened. I even swapped the 1 stick between all 3 dimms and still nothing.
I decided to set my memory back the way it was in dimm 1 and 3 and it ran fine again?????????? Anyone else have this problem, I am running the beta bios that came out yesterday with support for multipliers that are 12.5 and below. I'm also running the 2.0 version drivers from nVidia's web site.

Last edited by mrsteel74; 4th December, 2002 at 08:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2002, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Drozdov

thats a normal score for 133fsb sync

no problems with my single stick of 512 in any dimm slots (currently at dimm 2)
Old 4th December, 2002, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drozdov

You might consider to use dimm1 or 3 instead if you intend to OC.
I have 1x512 Mb XMS3500C2, when using dimm2 it was barely stable 207 fsb 2.0-3-3-7
Shifted to dimm1 and now no problems 211 fsb 2.0-2-2-5, rock stable.
Old 4th December, 2002, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drozdov

Really I would think that dual channel ddr would give a better score than that.
Old 4th December, 2002, 10:07 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsteel74
Really I would think that dual channel ddr would give a better score than that.
Why? It's not the connection between the chipset and the memory that's the problem. It's the connection between the CPU and the chipset that's limiting you!

There's no way that a 133MHz FSB can get close to the bandwidth that dual channel DDR is offering.

Áedán
Old 5th December, 2002, 07:14 AM

Even when the memory is running at 166 my scores aren't anything special. I'll run a benchmark later and give the exact numbers.