AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th December, 2002, 05:06 AM

Disable PC Speaker on 8RDA+

I recently purchased the 8RDA+ and have been very pleased with the way it performs. My only grip currently is that the PC speaker sounds are played through the on-board sound. This can be very annoying sometimes and often times startling if my volume is a little too loud.

The beeps I'm refering to is not only the one that occurs when you start your computer, since that one can be disabled through the bios.

Is there a way to disable the PC speaker sounds that go through the onboard sound (soundstorm)?

Thanks in advance
Old 6th December, 2002, 05:09 AM

I believe there is a setting to shut that off in the bios. under integrated peripherals.

If thats not what you r looking for than I'm not sure.
Old 6th December, 2002, 05:09 AM

it is in the bios... you can disable pc speaker at post i believe
Old 6th December, 2002, 05:10 AM

a little confused do you want to disable the OS sound schemes or the onboard sound?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th December, 2002, 05:15 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

The feature is called "AC97 at POST." By default it's enabled...Disable it, it's stupid.

EDIT: I think it's meant for those who don't have a built in speaker in their case. I had a Palo Alto case that didn't have a speaker.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th December, 2002, 05:17 AM

i have to have the pc speaker sound disabled at post or otherwise my klipsch 5.1 goes of with a siren sound when I have bad BIOS settings.
Old 6th December, 2002, 08:16 AM

To clarify: The sound is the PC speaker sound, not some sound scheme in windows or something like that. I have always found it annoying so I usually leave my PC speaker disconnected from the jumpers on the M/B. However with the 8RDA+, it passes the sound through the on-board sound.

I have the AC97 at POST disabled and that disables the beep at the very beginning when the computer starts up. PC speaker beeps that occur later, after boot up, however are still passed to the on-board sound. This is what I want to disable.

How do I know? Not quite sure how to make a beep in windows, but in linux when you do tab-autocompletion, it beeps, even when the sound driver is not loaded.

I've looked through all the settings in the BIOS and nothing jumps out at me as an option to disable this, short of disabling the on-board sound all together. Maybe someone can point out some setting to prove me otherwise?

Perhaps there some way I can short the jump for the PC speaker to make system think the PC speaker is already connected?
Old 26th February, 2003, 07:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BoneZwagger Send a message via Yahoo to BoneZwagger

Me too

I have this very same annoying problem that you have. Did you ever come to a resolution? It does seem to be coming from the os.
I have not seen this problem posted on other forums, but I'm going to try.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 26th February, 2003, 09:54 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's a mixer setting.

In Windows, open the Windows sound mixer, and select properties. Scroll down the "Show the following volume controls:" until you find "PC Speaker". Place a tick next to it, then OK the box.

You'll now find there's an additional slider, called "PC Speaker". Click mute, and you're sorted.

On Linux, you'll have to have some kind of audio driver installed, and use the mixer settings for whichever audio driver you have. This should allow you to disable the PC Speaker beeps.

Áedán
Old 27th February, 2003, 01:06 AM

Unfortunatly I have XP and nvidia soundstorm. I'll try enabling the pc speaker in the bios and then muting it in the mixer as you said.
wish me luck!
Old 27th February, 2003, 01:28 AM

No joy. One of my tests is when I finish send/receive in outlook there's a beep(sounds disabled in os). Beeps when finished.
I couldn't find pc speaker as an option any where in the mixer.
Old 27th February, 2003, 04:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to CSC Tiscali

The fix...

this is a common problem that has hit the amdmb and hardforums as well. I found a fix for the problem- it does not have to do with changing any bios settings. when you are using the onboard audio with the 8rda+, the soundstorm drivers are used, and unfortunately you will NOT have the pc speaker option under the windows volume mixer...please check out this thread from amdb for the fix:
http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=191890
i posted this issue on hardforums as well and one guy said it still beeped because he has some popup-blocker working...for me, it fixed the outlook problem as well as the master volume adjustment beeps- i believe there were a few other times default beep would occur, but those were the real irritating ones! let me know if it works.
hope that helps

Last edited by CSC Tiscali; 27th February, 2003 at 04:55 AM.
Old 27th February, 2003, 10:40 AM

oh JOY

There IS JOY in Mudville tonite!!

Thank-you
Old 27th February, 2003, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneZwagger
I couldn't find pc speaker as an option any where in the mixer.
The issue annoyed me too, but I have one program that always beeps, regardless of OS. It would seem that the newer audio drivers have removed this option, which is annoying.

Áedán
Old 27th February, 2003, 01:19 PM

What program?
Old 27th February, 2003, 07:45 PM

It's a mail client. It beeps when new mail comes in.

Áedán
Old 27th February, 2003, 08:03 PM
jcool

I killed my Case mounted speaker, lucky me