AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th November, 2001, 03:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

AthlonXP, your mobo of choice?

I'm about to be passed up by some of my folding@home team-mates who are folding under one name. I need a bit more raw CPU power to stay in the game. So I have a few questions for you EPoX Tech(others need not reply):

1. Given that the 8K7A and 8KHA+ are about the same price, which is preferable for AthlonXP overclocking? Memory bandwidth isn't really a big issue in my particular application, mostly core speed is.

2. I take it you have seen your share of XP's. Which model to you feel offers the most bang for your buck(once overclocked)?

3. Should I just wait till motherboard firms offer there next round of boards? There are rumors that most firms will be offering boards better suited for the XP(and the soon to come .13 parts) in the coming months.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2001, 07:11 AM
EPoX Tech

8K7A and 8KHA+ (and 8KHA too) have their strengths and weaknesses so far as overclocking goes.

With Athlon XP however, there is not the same need for voltage that there is with Athlon Thunderbird. That is to state that they do not like loads of voltage. An unmodified 8KHA series mainboard is therefore probably the best solution in terms of ease.

The strengths and merits of each board are as folows :

8K7A
Hands on overclocking approach with jumpers and dips.
VccCore highly modifiable - good for Thunderbird and Spitfire Duron. If not raising voltage too much, also an excellent AThlon XP tool - just remember that they don't like voltage.
Very stable and proven all around the world
Very good for 170MHz FSB and more

8KHA/+
Entriely BIOS overclocking - good for the noobs
Extreme Memory bandwidth
Highly adjustable VDimm from BIOS
Very suited to Athlon XP's low voltage threshold.
When VModded, absolutley excellent for Thunderbird and Bargain basement Spitfire Duron.
Very good for 170MHz FSB and more

Chips
The Athlon XP 1500+ is the best value processor in the world right now (an opinion). It is believed that they are princely overclocking tools.

As for support for dot one three parts, my theory is that only a good three phase or 2 plus 2 phase board wil be good enough for this, POSSIBLY - this is not a guarantee. Those parts may use different buses and revisions of chipsets - we will all need to wait and see what comes out in the wash I suppose.

Note
Purchase of an overclocking board is not a guarantee of overclocking ability. One needs to have a good undersdtanding of the hardware that they are tweaking and the possible cause and effect situations that may arise.

A basis to start from when overclocking Socket A solutions is to ensure the use of a PSU of at least 350W with at least 195W combined power and also the use of a very high integrity cooling solution.

Whilst offering overclocking features on our mainboards, we must state that such features in use cannot be supported by warranty due to the nature of facilitation.
Old 12th November, 2001, 07:24 AM

Thanks for laying it all down. I might go for another 8KHA+ and XP+1500, or I might wait and see what type of board is required for the .13 parts. It's a tuff call, and frankly I'm in no huge rush to decide soon. I hear rumors about an 8KHA2 coming out, so I might want to check the reviews of that one out if anything comes of it. I could even see myself going for an SMP SocketA board maybe. There are lots of options out there, and even more on the horizon, so who knows . . . .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2001, 08:30 AM
EPoX Tech

8KHA2 will be very similar to 8K7A + in many ways.

It will be covered in jumpers and dips galore - it will offer the true upgrade solution for 8K7Aers with reassurance that there is now also VAGP adjustment also to get those NVidia graphics cards going overclock with some scary core and memory speeds.

Get ready in the interim for 8KHAL - the lightened version of 8KHA+ for those with a little less in their pocket. This too is a jumpered board with many overclocking features.
Old 12th November, 2001, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
is now also VAGP adjustment also to get those NVidia graphics cards going overclock with some scary core and memory speeds.
Not trying to dis the 8KHA2 or anything(I want one!), but I thought that most modern graphics accelerator cards have there own on-board voltage regulation. I know my Gainward GF2MX that I FUBARed yesterday does(I FUBARed a tiny surface-mount resistor in the voltage sampling circuit when soldering it back on after testing it's impedance).

AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2001, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
With Athlon XP however, there is not the same need for voltage that there is with Athlon Thunderbird. That is to state that they do not like loads of voltage.
Could you explain, this more, (this is the first I heard of this). I would have thought that as it runs cooler than a tbird more voltage would be better.

I've v-modded my board and am running it at 2.00-2.05V (though I have run it at 2.10), is that past the level you have found for not liking lots of voltage, and what is the level?

Cheers
Old 12th November, 2001, 12:02 PM

According to AidanII, extra voltage doesn't make a transistor switch faster, it helps make the transistor immune to noise(It was news to me, but really makes a lot of sense when you think about it).

When you think of it like this, you realize that extra voltage could possibly just make extra heat, in which case it would be a bad thing. Like most things involved in overclocking, this calls for experimentation.

I too have noticed this same phenomena with my Morgan cored Duron, anymore voltage than ~2.05V just proves counter productive(I'm good for 2.2V).

AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2001, 12:09 PM

Well, I found the extra amount of voltage does only give a tiny extra overclock. eg. good to about 1.70G at 1.95V, 1.74G at 2.06V, 1.75G at 2.11V, didn't bother going higher that that and stuck it back down to 2.00V.
Old 12th November, 2001, 05:34 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

DOH! now i think i should have waited for 8KHA2 after all! oh well! i guess EPoX dont to part exchange eh??

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 12th November, 2001, 05:54 PM
EPoX Tech

I'm afraid not