AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th November, 2001, 02:45 AM

Thumbs up Thanks Epox

Just a quick note of thanks for the advice given. My 8kha+ installed, and worked by the numbers. Thanks guys!
SonicFury
WD WDC400BB h/d
Segate ST328040a h/d
Pioneer 106 DVD drive
Aopen 1232pro cd-rw (EZcd dlx 4.05)
Pinnacle Studio DVDplus firewire
400W Sparkle & UPS
IIyama 19inch Monitor
dirty coffee cup, pair of comfy slippers
and the damn instruction manual
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2001, 08:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

any overclock yet?
Old 13th November, 2001, 11:21 AM
EPoX Tech

I was a little worried about the full compatibility of that dirty coffee cup too.
Old 14th November, 2001, 01:53 AM

Not yet

No OC just yet (set at "Fastest" settingin bios), need to let it run for while until every last app has been tested. Reliability is upmost as I run jobs that go 2-3 hours at full cpu utilsation. When I reached a comfort level then the tweaking starts.

Temp is good at 45-50 cpu, 27-30 m/b. I tried a delta cpu fan, man are those things noising, so in the end the YS fan went back in. The Sparkle psu (400w) is soo quiet :-)

MW4, CM2 and UT don't play any faster, but they were plenty fast enough to begin with.

Oh EP, I have to report that the m/b does (1 in 25 reboots) fail to come back up, and requires the power cable pulling out for 30 seconds. It's no big deal.
SonicFury
WD WDC400BB h/d
Segate ST328040a h/d
Pioneer 106 DVD drive
400W Sparkle & UPS
IIyama 19inch Monitor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th November, 2001, 08:21 AM
EPoX Tech

I am concerned to hear that. Generally customers with the Sparkle 400W PSU have no problems at all with the reboot issue.

As a note it is generally people with insufficient power supplies that have read misinterpreted articles that keep requesting BIOS chips from us to remedy such problems in normal operation.

To test the board fully, I have set my father up with one with the 17th October BIOS and a T-Bird 1400C (the largest current draining processor AMD make) using a HEC 300W PSU.

If anything went wrong and he couldn't boot the machine - he'd be straight on the telephone to me (he lives a long way away) - I'm glad to say that there have been no telephone calls yet at all - but plenty of e-mails to say he enjoys the PC.

This is the importance of using a very high quality PSU. The particular HEC PSU's are perhaps one of the best combinations of quality and value that I have seen recently for such a platform. They do appear on the AMD recommended listings, but do also note that they may not be suitable for everyone due to variations in the national power networks wherever we live; e.g. a guy in northern France may be able to run a 300W PSU of a certain kind to operate a 1.4T-Bird in 8K7A whereas a guy in southern France may need 350W - I hope this is clear.

Please also note that the combined wattage of a PSU and current stability in that particular area is of the utmost importance.
Old 14th November, 2001, 08:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I don't have the restart problem with my Sparkle350W, regardless of which BIOS I use, so I feel I can recommend it to anyone with a lower current CPU such as my Morgan1GHz(one of the lowest current SocketA CPUs if I'm not mistaken). It would probably be sufficient for higher current CPUs too(it is AMD recommended for the Tbird 1.4), as it offers 220W of combined power(which ain't bad at all really for a $50 PSU).

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 14th November, 2001, 12:24 PM

Go figure!

Strange as it seems, the original Sparkle 235W DIDN'T exhibit the re-start problem - but I only had that running for a day - I just changed the psu 'cause everyone said you needed a 300W or above for an XP- go figure!

My pet theory is that one of the pci cards isn't re-initialising on re-boot (no problems with cold boot, which draws the most current) , maybe hogging the bus? I don't think it's W related otherwise I'd see it on cold boot.

This is STILL the best m/b I've had to date, even better than my KT7 (although that didn't have the re-boot problem~et).
SonicFury
WD WDC400BB h/d
Segate ST328040a h/d
Pioneer 106 DVD drive
400W Sparkle & UPS
IIyama 19inch Monitor

Last edited by cpu-uk; 14th November, 2001 at 12:27 PM.