AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st January, 2003, 11:04 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

"ACPI Uniprocessor PC" or "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"

Previously, on my 8RDA+, my Device Manager read "Advanced Configuation and Power Interface (ACPI) PC." After a repair install of WinXP, it now it reads "ACPI Uniprocessor PC." I doubt it matters any, but...does it matter any?

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st January, 2003, 11:42 PM

mookydooky . Go into device manager open the properties of ACPI Uniprocessor PC . Choose update driver then choose "install from a specific location" . Next "pick dont search I will choose the driver to install "
It will give you a list of different modes . I have no Idea what the differences are though , if any .
Hope thats of some help
Old 1st January, 2003, 11:48 PM
AOA Staff

Thanks Mickey, I already know about the "update driver" thing. I was just curious about the differences. I'm not having any problems, so I think I'll leave it alone for now.

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st January, 2003, 11:50 PM

I know that if you change it the PC probably wont load windows
Good enough reason for me not to go anywhere near it
Old 2nd January, 2003, 08:38 AM

After reading this thread, I looked at the setting on mine and it reads:

"ACPI Multiprocessor PC"

I wish I could fit another CPU in my 8RDA+, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon...

Do you guys think this could screw up my system? Should I change it to "ACPI Uniprocessor PC?" My system is finally stable at 8.5*200, and I'm afraid to change anything... PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 2nd January, 2003, 08:53 AM

The system type that you choose basically determines which hardware abstraction layer (a piece of software that directly deals with your hardware) windows will use to run all your hardware.

The following options and their explanations (taken from M$) are available:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC: Use for a multiple-processor ACPI computer
ACPI Uniprocessor PC: Use for a ACPI multiple-processor board but with a single processor installed
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC: Use for a single processor motherboard with single processor.
Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible: Use for a Compaq Systempro computer.
MPS Uniprocessor PC: Use on non-ACPI computers dual processor motherboard with a single processor installed
MPS Multiprocessor PC: Non-ACPI computers with a dual processor running
Standard PC: Any Standard PC, non-ACPI, or non-MPS. Could be a 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium II, or Pentium III
Old 2nd January, 2003, 02:16 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by n00b

Do you guys think this could screw up my system? Should I change it to "ACPI Uniprocessor PC?" My system is finally stable at 8.5*200, and I'm afraid to change anything... PLEASE HELP!!!
I'm of the mind that if everything works the way it's supposed to, then just leave it alone...unless of couse you want it to work the way it's not supposed to...

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd January, 2003, 02:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Shonk Send a message via AIM to Shonk Send a message via Yahoo to Shonk

the board indicates that it supports duel cpu's is why to the os
i suspect maybe for a future cpu that supports hyper threading
RAM: OCZ Premier 512mb X 2
Primary: Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128meg
Second: Geforce FX5200 PCI 128meg 128bit
Primary: AOC LM919 19" TFT 16ms
Second: AOC LM919 19" TFT 16ms
Third: Iiyama E430S 17" TFT 16ms
16x Nec 3500AG X 2
52x24x52x16 LG Combi X 2
2x 200Gig Diamond Max 9 Sata Raided
Old 2nd January, 2003, 05:51 PM

I'm confused now... hehe..

The 8RDA+ doesn't support dual CPU's, so my concern is that if I leave this in the obviously incorrect" setting, I may screw something up.

Since reinstalling XP this past weekend, I've had occasional, random restarts of my system, (while online, the systems powers off and restarts) and I've noticed that my system temps are 6-8c hotter than usual. I'm just curious as to whether this may be the problem, and if so, will changing to ACPI Uniprocessor fix the problem.

My husbands machine, an EXACT duplicate of mine, says uniprocessor, so apprently, for some odd reason, XP installed the incorrect driver when installing.

Thanks again for the advice and help!
Old 2nd January, 2003, 07:00 PM
AOA Staff

I think that if you have MPS set wrong in the BIOS, WinXP installs the wrong kernel. I'll do a repair install again to see if that is indeed the culprit. I won't be able to do it until I get home tonight when I get home.

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd January, 2003, 07:10 PM
Banned

I think you get ACPI uniprocessor if you have ACPI plus APIC 1.4 enabled in bios. If APIC disabled you get the "normal" version. Dif is mainly better irq handling http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platf...oc/IO-APIC.asp I have uniprocessor on a kt333 mb. No had any problems but default is disabled APIC so most will not have it. I think most intel based mobos use APIC as default, not sure tho.

You can go back and forth but not that easy. Same as if you disabled ACPI, all hardware will need to be redetected, some drivers reinstalled. If you enabled APIC and reinstall XP it will automatically give you uniprocessor. I have done it manually but not that much fun. Think you need to do a repair - something about pressing F5 when it says F6 for raid controller. You get a little window with 3-4 options, the one you need "ACPI uniprocessor" is hidden, scroll up - no scrollbars so... think there are even more dif. HaLs than those mentioned. As far as I know ONLY ACPI uniprocessor works - and computer do not get slower, not at all

Forgot - before you enable APIC there should not be any irq assignments in bios, leave it at auto. In theory, or what I understand of it, bios is overruled. Another thing is w9x if you dual boot. I was told it would 1. not work at all and 2. IF it works w9x will revert to some extremely slow mode. May be thats true - just not for me. W9x runs as allways - seems to ignore APIC. But no gurantees...

Last edited by Tarzan; 2nd January, 2003 at 07:18 PM.
Old 3rd January, 2003, 03:39 AM
AOA Staff

Ok, it seems Tarzan and I would be correct if we combined our posts. If you ENABLE APIC and select MPS 1.4, you will get "ACPI Uniprocessor PC." If you disable APIC, then you will get "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC." So the next time you install Windows, you know which to select.

EDIT: Win98 SHOULD ignore APIC since it is not a multi-CPU aware OS. I don't have WinXP Home, but since that is also a single CPU OS, it should have the same limitation. My guess is that during the install, the multi-CPU kernels are not available.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by mookydooky; 3rd January, 2003 at 04:08 AM.
Old 3rd January, 2003, 04:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JamesUK

hi i have this as well, am just wondering whats better for ya system: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC or the acpi uniprocessor pc is one better than the other, as in faster or what?

thanks
Old 3rd January, 2003, 03:03 PM

i read that article on the microsoft sight lookin at it, it would appear that "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" is better, is is best goin back to this and dissabling apic in the bio yeh?
Old 3rd January, 2003, 03:08 PM

might this also say why i have so many irq's as well?
i havn't really been following the specs if systems, but i know on my older system i have like 15 irq's but on this epox 8rda+ my video card is on like irq 19 ide is on 21, is i went back to the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" would i have 15 again? am not really sure about this, not one of my strong points at all but if my system would be faster and better in the old acpi mode then i will go back

thank you
Old 11th January, 2003, 08:40 PM

is apic better and faster yes?
AMD ATHLON 64 FX-57 | 2 GB CORSAIR XMS3200C2PT CAS2.0 RAM | ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM | 2 X 250GB WESTON DIGITAL SATA 2 (16MB CACHE) HDD | BFG GEFORCE 7800GTX | PIONEER DVR-109 | WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 | TAGAN 580 WATT PSU
Old 12th January, 2003, 12:05 AM

APIC is faster and more stable, because it shares irq a lot less.

"APIC Provides Superior Interrupt Architecture
APIC solves all the problems described earlier in this article. Interrupt latency can be drastically reduced by assigning a unique vector to each device. Operating systems can speed up all of their synchronization code. As an industry, we can increase debuggability and stability just by shortening the chains of ISRs."

from the article above.