AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th February, 2003, 07:34 PM

Yet another corrupt bios on an 8RDA+

..but luckily I managed to recover from it............

There has to be an explanation for this,as all I did was change my video card from a GF3 to a R9700.Wasn't overclocked at the time ( bios was set at optimal ).

Kept asking for a floppy with AwdFlash and a bios on it.Gave it that.Failed 4 TIMES to flash the bios.Reset the cmos jumper ( remember to remove your pc's power lead,or it wont work ) and it came back to life.

Now I've only had 3 motherboards, but this is the first time I have ever experienced this myself.And it's even more shocking that it should happen when I was just changing a pci card.

This and some other experiences with my 8RDA+ have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I don't know if it's Epox's fault,or an issue with the NF2 chipset.But this will probably be the last Epox board that I'll ever buy.....

ALan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th February, 2003, 09:57 PM

Did you have the bios OC'd in any way before you did the flash? I did one one like this once and got similar results as you have. I think the recommendation is to set the bios to optimised defaults first, run it up, close down, and then flash to new one. Once flashed you can then start your OC crusade again.
Epox 8RGA+ | XP2700+ | Gigabyte 9700 Pro | 2 x 256Mb Corsair XMS3500 | Antec True Blue 480w | WD 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache | Liteon 52x24x52 CD-R/RW | VideoLogic ZXR500 Speakers | SLK-900 | AOC LM720A 17" TFT |Win XP Pro /w SP1 | 3DMark 2001 16k.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th February, 2003, 10:02 PM

I didn't want to flash the board

I already had the latest bios installed.Settings were at ' optimal ' because I was checking a Radeon 9700 for a friend.All I did was power the pc off, removed the GeForce 3, put in the Radeon 9700 and powered the machine up.It was here that I received the 'bios checksum error' message and it asked for a floppy so it could flash the bios again ( which it failed to do 4 times.... )

How the bios can corrupt when you just change an agp card I'll never know or understand...................

ALan