AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2003, 03:50 AM

4G4A+ Problem with memory upgrade

4G4A+
1.6A @ 2.4 (150 FSB 375 DDR)
256 Corsair XMS3000 Turbo memory timings
Default voltages
Win 2000

I've been running at the above speed for six months now. Solid as a rock. I decided to increase my memory from 256 to 512 in order to get better performance with some of the newer game titles like Unreal 2. I wanted to get better memory and didn't want to mix modules, so instead of getting another 256, I ordered a single 512 stick of Corsair XMS3200LL. Plus, I understand that the 4G4A+ OC's better with one stick than with two.

I installed the new stick at the same FSB, and changed the memory timings to "by SPD", which gives 2225. I was installing a new sound card (Audigy 2) at the same time. I installed all of the Audigy software, ran some sound diagnostics, ran a SiSoft memory benchmark (slightly better throughput on the new stick due to better memory timings) and did several other tasks. Then I fired up 3DMark2001SE, and my system locked. After a reboot, I tried 3DMark2003. Locked again. Reboot again and then tried dxdiag and it locked on the directx test. I tried setting all of the memory timings to their slowest (3336) and still no joy. I finally set the system to stock speed and was able to run with no problems. I put the old stick back in, and was able to get right back to 150 FSB with no problems. Weird that it only locked up on Direct X stuff.

So, is it the memory, or is it the mobo? Can the 4G4A+ not handle the same OC with a higher density memory module? I can RMA the stick directly to Crucial (I love those guys) or I can return it to NewEgg for a refund, but I have to do the refund within 30 day. Should I save the money on the RMA shipping and just get my money back, or should I take a chance that maybe the memory is bad and do an RMA. If by some chance the RMA process takes more than 30 days, then I won't be able to get my refund. I'd rather run at 2.4Ghz with 256, then slow down to have 512. What do you guys think I should do?
Old 20th February, 2003, 06:32 AM

you can try to test it with a samsung stick. i haven't had any problem with my 512mb samsung on the 4g4a.

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2003, 08:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to -CTPAX-

First, put the ram in dimm slot 2. Unfortunately all 845G boards have problems with overclocking ram. Try to up the ram voltage. Yes, i know that the ram should work fine at default, but im with 2x256 Samsung DDR400 at the moment and had to raise to 2.9 to get them stable at DDR375. Flash to 2424 BIOS.
Old 21st February, 2003, 10:37 PM

The Ram Guy at Corsair thinks I got a bad stick. He said the 512 should run at the same spec as the prior 256 stick.

And, anyone in the market for ram should certainly consider buying Corsair. They have a forum (House of Help) similar to this one where they answer questions about overclocking, etc. They also have a warrenty section, and I've yet to see them turn down an RMA request, no matter what the reason. Most hardware manufacturers will not help you if you're overclocking, but Corsair actually encourages overclocking and will RMA your stick if doesn't OC to a reasonable level. Those guys are awesome!
Old 22nd February, 2003, 09:26 AM

So you expect that your ram will run at ddr375 on a ddr266 rated board, because its corsair :-)) I see... Just follow my advice man, im running this board for over an year, and i have tested at least 4-5 different sticks of ram. The problem is not the ram, the problem is the 845G memory controler. And i guess the 256 was single sided and the 512 is double sided, believe me that makes a difference. Good luck :-))
Old 8th March, 2003, 06:52 PM

You're right CTPAX. I've done all the research as well, and have seen time and time again where people have problems with double-sided memory on the 845G chipset. Anyway, here's what happened:

I got the replacement stick last night. I left the FSB at 150, and changed the memory timings to "by SPD", which is actually more aggresive than "turbo" was on the XMS3000 stick. I first tried the 3d test in dxdiag, since the first 512MB stick would hard lock on that test. It ran it fine, so I was very excited. I then tried 3DMark2100SE, and it hard locked right out of the gate. I guess miracles are hard to come by.

My best stable OC now is 144FSB. I appear to be perfectly stable at 145FSB, but I experienced instabilty at 146FSB, and I like to back down a couple of notches from where I experience problems. My 3DMark2001SE score is identical to where it was before, more than likely due to the lower latencies of the XMS3200LL memory. I lost 1.5FPS in Unreal Tournament. So, my performance is virtually the same, but I've doubled my memory from 256 to 512 under Windows 2000, and that is certainly a noticeable improvement.

To ease the pain of losing 1.5FPS in UT, l ordered a new P4 2.53 to replace my trusty old 1.6A. That will give me a respectable 2.77 at this FSB, and will tide me over for a while for sure.

Thanks for replying.
Old 9th March, 2003, 01:21 PM

You can up your fsb a bit, try the following settings:

[Chipset settings]
1. Onboard video turbo mode - disabled - very important, especially when you use 3:4 divider (also when ur not using the onboard video, it helps overclock the ram)
2. Command per clock - disabled
3. Fast CS# - disabled (u can enable it later when u find the max stable fsb)
4. Try most slowest ram settings - 2.5-3-3-7 and when you reach your stable overclock without freezing, u can try to lower the settings, one at a time :-))

[Frequency/Voltage Control]
AGP/PCI Clock - set to 33/66, not auto
Auto detect PCI Clock - disable (can enable it later)

IMPORTANT: the best bioses at the moment are 2424 and 2B04, 2424 is best with one stick, 2B04 - 2 sticks, but also 1 stick, depends on brand(try both). PUT THE RAM IN THE SECOND SLOT, thats the most important thing with the 4G4A, when overclocking

This way u can try also 3:4 divider to reach ddr400, but its harder to reach it with 3:4, much easier with 4:5.

So, good luck :-))
Old 10th March, 2003, 03:45 AM

Thanks for the offer of help CTPAX. I think I'm just going to leave her where she is. The P4 is starved for memory, so I want the highest FSB I can get and still preserve the fastest memory settings. That way, I feel I have balanced performance... at least the best I can do with this board.

I'm going to stick with this rig until I see how Hammer shapes up, and what Intel has to counter with. The new dual memory channel chipsets look nice, but it's not enough of a performance boost over my current rig to go through the hassle of setting up a new mobo.