AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 27th November, 2001, 12:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to KAIN Send a message via MSN to KAIN

Question EPoX 8K7A 5 Volt Problem!

I currently have sorted my 5 Volt issue by using a mod connecting wires to my Mosfets. I currently have my 1.4 running @ 1.65 (air cooled) but over 1.65 I am getting severe voltage flatuation.

I managed to run a loop of 3dmark2k1 @ 1.7, but at the start of the second loop it crashed. The voltage I was measuring using my MM varied like 4.89-4.3-4.6 and so on and so forth.

I saw a voltage mod before using the coils next (ish) to the mosfets, does anyone have any details of this mod?
Old 27th November, 2001, 03:53 PM

Come on someone must have done this

Super EPoX Tech must know as well...
Old 27th November, 2001, 06:40 PM
EPoX Tech

With the following setup :

8K7A+
8k7a1b25 BIOS
AMD Thunderbird 1.4 type C (the most power consumptive AMD CPU yet)
CWT 325W PSU
ATi Radeon 64Mb DDR graphics card
SB Live
512Mb Crucial PC2100 non registered unbuffered memory
Windows 2000 SP2

We ran an oscilloscope test which showed the 5v rail area to not drop below 4.89v over a 2 hour period using the IWATSU oscilloscopes peak and trough data hold features. The maximum loaded voltage reading was 4.92v.

This was whilst 3DMark ran loops to load the system.

This goes to show that careful selection of quality PSU will further stabilise a system based on a multiphase power solution.
Old 27th November, 2001, 06:45 PM

Well yes an EPoX is not the best choice. But this is not default clock of a processor, I can run it upto 1.65 without a problem!

At 1.65 I start experiencing scary flatuations... the PSU is part of the problem. But I don't experience any problems up until that point which I believe would point to the mosfet mod, do you have any details of the Coil mod?

This is a standard 1.4 Athlon.
Old 27th November, 2001, 06:46 PM

EPoX Tech what happened to the Vapochill?
Old 27th November, 2001, 06:59 PM
EPoX Tech

The Vapochill has been sent onto another guy for his use now.

The best bet with the 8K7A is to use a good PSU rather than trying to augment the formidable power regulation circuitry that already lies there.

Although this probably doesn't relate to yourself KAIN, The ethic of the matter is that if you spend £100 on a mainboard, and £100 on a PSU, it seems defeatest by virtue to buy a case for £35.00 with a weak PSU inside it.
Old 27th November, 2001, 07:03 PM

Well I'll need a PSU with adjustable POTs anyhow 8-)

So both are going to defeat the object, one will cost a lot of money the other will means trying to work out if soldering it to the coil is any better than attaching it to the mosfets 8-)

Oh well, I suppose I could just have a mess around 8-)

Is there an RMA department in MK? hehe

Richard
Old 27th November, 2001, 07:07 PM
EPoX Tech

A good PSU (buying a good brand rather than a well known brand) should cost no more than 45.00 GBP.

Any mainboards should be swapped out with the reseller not the manufacturer.

Since you've tampered with your mainboard (which I'd be able to tell even if you did a good job of cleaning the solder) you've got no chance KAIN
Old 27th November, 2001, 07:16 PM

Ok... go on then recommend a 400W PSU...

I'm only kidding with the Mobo issue, when I know people like yourself work at EPoX it's not even worth the hassle though. Although I suppose I could just say to my reseller, I just switched it on and it didn't work.
Old 27th November, 2001, 07:19 PM
EPoX Tech

Only kidding KAIN !!!
Old 27th November, 2001, 07:22 PM
EPoX Tech

You could do far worse than the Channel Well Technology 325W which is starting to show up in the UK or the HEC 300W which CCL Computers are vending.
Old 27th November, 2001, 07:43 PM

I got the HEC300 watt from CCL computers yesterday, I must agree with EPoX tech, it is a recommeneded PSU
Old 28th November, 2001, 03:00 AM

Well these sound good, I really want a 400w though. As I have the use of a Vapochill coming up, and that requires a nice bit of juice!
Old 28th November, 2001, 07:16 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Vapochill don't need a massive PSU 'cos it's powered off the 12v yellow cable of the PSU.

I know people that have overclocked Celeron 600's to 1260MHz with a 200W PSU in one of those no hassles.
Old 28th November, 2001, 01:45 PM

I know it's not a huge power hog, but my friend was using his with a 300w Macron and a 1.4 gig and it struggled big time. Put in a 400w jobbie and it was a LOT better...
Old 28th November, 2001, 07:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The least expensive AMD approved for Athlon(to 1.4 Gig T-Bird, but not above 1700+ XP) that I can find is the Sparkle FSP350-60BN. This is $60, shipped from newegg.com. You're in the UK, of course--where all PC hardware is too expensive, AFAIK. But SPI(Sparkle) is in Taiwan, where 98% of EVERYTHING for PC's is made.
Old 29th November, 2001, 09:40 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by KAIN
I know it's not a huge power hog, but my friend was using his with a 300w Macron and a 1.4 gig and it struggled big time. Put in a 400w jobbie and it was a LOT better...
It's not the fact that the Macron is 300W (which I doubt it actually can achieve) - it's the fact that Macron is cheap tat that ain't worth the cooling fan they put in it.

Sparkle as Cloasters points out is the best solution forthe price and is available in the UK - even Dabs have sold them before now (I bought a 400w one for my dad's system).
Old 29th November, 2001, 09:59 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
The least expensive AMD approved for Athlon(to 1.4 Gig T-Bird, but not above 1700+ XP) that I can find is the Sparkle FSP350-60BN. This is $60, shipped from newegg.com. You're in the UK, of course--where all PC hardware is too expensive, AFAIK. But SPI(Sparkle) is in Taiwan, where 98% of EVERYTHING for PC's is made.
Used to be that much made in Taiwan although I 'tink its less now as a lot of manufacture's moved to the mainland (a lot of QDI/Gigabyte boards made there)
Old 29th November, 2001, 12:21 PM

Macron are actually quite good supplies if you have a decent one. But yes Sparkle are very good, I was looking at a 400w for about £70.

But still interested in these others that EPoX tech spoke of hehe 8-) Any 400w's?