AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st April, 2003, 05:05 AM

8RGA+ system memory for video, DC w/3?

I have an 8RGA+ on the way from newegg. I eBayed 2x256mb sticks of Winbond BH-5s. Now I realize that *perhaps* I should've gone with 2x512mb because it sounds like the RGA+ uses system memory for the onboard video.

1. Can an RGA+ owner out there confirm that pulling 128mb of memory for the onboard video from a 512mb system leaves 384 for everything else?

2. More importantly, can/should a person try to dual channel with three sticks on the RGA+?

3. Finally, does the bios give you the option of choosing which dimm slot from which to pull the video memory?

Thx in advance.
Old 21st April, 2003, 05:23 AM

1. Yes

2. Yes you can run Dual Channel with 3 sticks

3. No, just size

Calcu
Toshiba 40GB 5.4K 16MB
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo 128MB(475/275)
2x DVD-RW
Windows XP Pro SP2 2082
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2003, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Calcu
1. Yes

2. Yes you can run Dual Channel with 3 sticks

3. No, just size

Calcu

Thank you Calcu. As is usually the case, after searching this forum for an analogous answer b4 posting, I found the three stick question has been covered well over at Amdmb http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....nel+three+8rga
and here at AOA in a different forum Will you still get the benefits of DUAL-DDR if you populate all 3 DIMM slots?

Looks like a 256mb in slots 1&2 and a 512mb in slot three will get me to 1 gig and happy. I ack that OCing may suffer, but I don't intend to shoot higher that 200fsb anyway.

Rgds.
Old 21st April, 2003, 11:59 AM
EPoX Tech

200FSB with 3 x memory sticks of differing configuration may be a hurdle too far unless you are very lucky.
Old 22nd April, 2003, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
200FSB with 3 x memory sticks of differing configuration may be a hurdle too far unless you are very lucky.

Humm...why?
Old 22nd April, 2003, 04:24 AM

For some reason on almost all nforce2 boards, dimm slot 1 just can't handle high fsb speeds. I beleive two other manufacturers actually state this in their manuals. I think this is why ET is saying that 3 sticks w/200mhz might not work well
Old 22nd April, 2003, 06:02 AM

the only 8RDA+'s i've run all made 200fsb with a stick in slot1. one board needed northbridge cooling and another the southbridge. the nif2 has the 8RGA+'s #1 slot labelled as #3
Old 22nd April, 2003, 08:53 AM

Quote:
coz ur running ur mobo higher than official specs, n 3 sticks of different ram gives plenty of compatibility issue(diff delays...). tough to get em to run together stable at 200fsb.
Old 22nd April, 2003, 09:02 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by tgrrr

coz ur running ur mobo higher than official specs, n 3 sticks of different ram gives plenty of compatibility issue(diff delays...). tough to get em to run together stable at 200fsb.
Quite - that was exactly what I was getting at.
Old 23rd April, 2003, 03:50 AM

Quote:

Quite - that was exactly what I was getting at.

Hmmm...well, is it indeed true that one must run the same size in Bank 0 (Slot 1) and Bank 1 (Slots 2&3) in order to have 128bit access for all? If so, it appears my options are:

a) Optomize the memory access:
- run 512mb in Slot 1
- run 256mb in Slots 2&3
- put 128mb to onboard video, yielding 768mb for system
- accept <200 fsb
b) Optimize overclocking
- run 256 in Slots 2&3
- live with < 512mb for system
- push for >=200 fsb
c) Replace my new 256mb sticks with 512mb sticks
- ugh. Price. ugh.
- Overclocking might still suffer since 512mb sticks apparently don't OC as well
- put 128mb to onboard video, yielding 768mb for system

So what do y'all think is the best option?
Old 23rd April, 2003, 04:28 AM

a, if u really need that much ram for ur system
u can still try to overclock with that if u got same brand & speed sticks for all 3 --> 1x512, 2x256 all at ddr400.
place the 512 in the single slot, n the 2x256 in the double slot.

or if u really hardcore in overclocking, just get a 1G stick n dun use dual channel :P
Old 23rd April, 2003, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tgrrr
a, if u really need that much ram for ur system
u can still try to overclock with that if u got same brand &amp; speed sticks for all 3 --&gt; 1x512, 2x256 all at ddr400.
place the 512 in the single slot, n the 2x256 in the double slot.

or if u really hardcore in overclocking, just get a 1G stick n dun use dual channel :P
I'll be running WinXP and gaming with Neverwinter Nights, Earth & Beyond, the new Star Wars Galaxy, etc. I do a good bit of Digital Video editing, and I have a Canopus DVRaptor. DV editing whips systems that are memory starved. I'm not into FPSers, and I'm not a militant OCer. But a friend gave me a 1900+ Palomino, and I'd like to see what I can do with it. I'd also like to get 200 fsb stable because when i upgrade CPU I'll go for a Barton.

I don't know if I need more than 512mb, but I'm told that WinXP really needs 512, and I know Adobe Premiere wants a lot of RAM. I didn't realize that the onboard video would suck upto 1/4th of my total...anyway, when my RAM arrives I'll put it all together and we'll just see.

Thanks for the replies.