AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th December, 2001, 08:59 PM

Wierd Problems with the 8KHA+

I'm having a few problems with my new system that I pieced together. Here are the specs:

Epox 8KHA+
Athlon 1600+
IBM Deskstar 60GXP (40 GB) - Pri on 1st IDE
SB Live!
Newest BIOS
Win 98SE
DLink NIC
Kenwood 52x True-X - Sec on 1st IDE
TDK VeloCD 4/8/32 - Pri on 2nd IDE
Pioneer DVD-ROM - Sec on 2nd IDE

Anyway, I've been having problems when the computer comes out of standby, it either doesn't come out, or runs really slow and locks up after waking up. The strange thing is that my PC clock stays at whatever time it was when the PC went into sleep mode. I've been trying to d/l the *.iso's for Linux Mandrake 8.1, and whenever it comes out of sleep mode, the progress indicator hasn't moved, and then everything moves slowly (even mouse tracking).

I disabled all sleep mode items, and now it seems like it just locks up randomly at different times.

Not sure if this is related or not -- I tried to disable ASAPI in the BIOS, and when I booted into Windows, it lost my video settings (was back to using the generic video settings). Does this sound related?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12th December, 2001, 02:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

what psu and bios are you running? did you install the mobo drivers? got all the windows updates?
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2001, 04:16 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Might want to try the BETA BIOS in our Download Files section. Seems to be the miracle drug, errr BIOS, for some of the people in our forum.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2001, 08:34 AM
EPoX Tech

Please state your BIOS date, video card, PSU and voltages for criticals (3.3v, 5v and 1.5v if applicable). Please also state the memory module type (1st on 1st, 1st on 3rd, 3rd on 3rd), voltage and timings.
Old 12th December, 2001, 09:49 PM

Oh, guess I should've included that. Here's what I can tell you right now, I'll have to fill in the other questions when I get home from work:

Vid card: Guillemont GeForce 2 GTS 32MB DDR
Got all the Windows updates, installed the latest 4-in-1, 11/2 BIOS, 300watt PS (I'll have to look at the brand when I get home), and 256 MB DDR (one DIMM, slot 1).
Old 13th December, 2001, 06:30 AM
EPoX Tech

The 300W PSU may be a good starting place as to where improvements can be made.

In the world of overclocking, a 300W supply is okay for Celeron purposes, but won't really cut the mustard when overclocking Athlon or P4 to any extent.
Old 13th December, 2001, 03:21 PM

These stability issues are without overclocking by the way. Is 300 Watt PS ok for a non-OC'd Athlon?
Old 13th December, 2001, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bitweever
These stability issues are without overclocking by the way. Is 300 Watt PS ok for a non-OC'd Athlon?
In theory, yes. But it does depend on a few things. If you can get a program up that will tell you what your voltages are (you might be able to check it in the BIOS, or you can use Sandra), that would show if there are any problems with it.
Old 15th December, 2001, 03:26 AM

You know what's laughable is by A+ standards, a 200 watt psu is considered normal for a desktop machine, and 300 for a multiple cpu server class machine
Old 15th December, 2001, 09:13 PM

I've repaired this problem to the point where it no longer locks up coming out of sleep mode, but I still can't leave it alone to d/l big files. Whenever it suspends (even if just the screen is suspending), then it stops d/ling, and the PC clock freezes at whatever time it is. This has really hindered me in downloading new 600MB Linux *.iso's. Does this still sound like a PSU problem? What is an acceptable range for each of the voltages?
Old 16th December, 2001, 03:51 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

In theory, yes. But it does depend on a few things. If you can get a program up that will tell you what your voltages are (you might be able to check it in the BIOS, or you can use Sandra), that would show if there are any problems with it.
300W (and particularly not appearing on the AMD listing) can be inadequate for a 3phase system.