AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th December, 2001, 09:40 PM

Epox Tech, Question Please

Hello, I found this forum through AmdMb.com and am excited about asking a real live Epox Tech about this.

I just bought the Epox 8KHA+ because of the reviews and I was impressed with the 8K7A I have.

My problem, soft reboots occured 1 out of 3 times when I initially put together this system. Now it happens 1 out of 10-15 times. This is good because maybe it will work itself out.

My real concern is the mouse and keyboard lights staying powered up after shut down.

My specs: (no overclock, Turbo mode)

AthlonXp 1600+
Antec 1030B/Antec 300W PSU/5 fans
8KHA+ (official 11/02/01 bio's, N+ chip)
MCX370 Heat sink/Sunon fan
2 x 256 Crucial PC2100 (1 & 2 slot)
Visiontek GF3 (Det 22.50)
SantaCruz sound card
LInksys LNE100tx NIC
Win98SE (updated)
IBM GXP60
Quantum Fireball 40 G

The reason this concerns me is because quality is an issue with me and when something like this happens it makes me think that what I heard about Epox rushing this board out is true. Another thing is that I do not want to use anything that is not official, Bio's etc.

Also, Is their an updated Bios being worked on for this issue? Will a Bio's fix this? Or is this a voltage regulator problem on the board itself?

Please give me your thoughts about this. Thank you.

BTW This severely angered me and caused me to make a few outbursts. Sorry.

Last edited by Landry21; 11th December, 2001 at 08:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2001, 10:10 PM

Can't comment on the reboots, but the keyboard and mouse lights stay on, because this board features the same Keyboard power on option that the 8K7A did. In order to support that, power has to remain running to the board.
Old 10th December, 2001, 10:20 PM

Hello Bitweaver, thanks for your comments.

I also use the 8K7A and do not have the power on problem with the mouse and keyboard.

I'm just wondering why the 8K7A, which I really like, seems more stable? is that the right word? than the 8KHA+. Friends (MSI lovers) have told me that the 8KHA+ was pushed out the door in order for it to be the first 266A board out. They say it suffers quality problems because of that.

Course they're MSI kiddies, I'm not sure of the value of their opinion.
Old 12th December, 2001, 09:15 AM
EPoX Tech

Firstly - I can't comment on your MSI firends

The 8KHA+ is a direct adaptation of our highly researched 8KHA (KT266) mainboard which was a great success. The implementation of the KT266a chipset merely meant changing the northbridge although in the process of making the upgrade we did also change the clock generator to one made by ICS.

Any issues that you are presently experiencing with the mainboard should be resolved with the flashing of the BIOS name 8khaL00.bin which resides on the server at http://www.aoafiles.com/dafiles/CPU_...OS/8khal00.bin .

I think that in your particular case the fact that you are using so many fans and a GeForce 3 on a small power supply does not improve your situation.

The fact that the keyboard lights remain lighted after powerdown on this mainboard is normal and is also apparent on 8KHA. It signifies the presence of 5VSB line - no problems there - any mainboard attached to a PSU will be receving this line of power all of the time.

In relation to the MSI KT266a board - I think that that's the board with capacitors missing indicating that they changed their mind about the power arrangement after designing the PCB.
Old 12th December, 2001, 04:47 PM

Epox Tech, thank you for your reply.

I have further questions.

1) Is that an official Epox Bio's you linked? If not, is Epox going to make available a new Bio's for the 8KHA+?

2) The lighted keyboard and optical (trackball) mouse is apparently not normal for any other mainboard because the 8k7A does not do that, nor have I seen anyone mention another board doing that. The 8KHA I do not know about. Is this going to be the new norm?

3) Yes, the power supply may indeed be small but I used it along with the 8K7A and all the other parts I listed with no problems whatsoever eg. lights on keyboard/mouse. That board also had a Athlon 1.2 T-bird not an Athlon XP which I believe consumes less power?. However I am going to buy the Antec 350W today.

4) Lastly, I have heard some say that Enermax power supplies have some conflicts with Epox boards. Is their any truth to this?

Thanks again for your response and your thoughts are appreciated.

BTW, I will be more than happy to tell my 2 MSI friends about those capacitors. heh

Last edited by Landry21; 12th December, 2001 at 09:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2001, 09:15 PM

I can assure you that the keyboard lights do stay on on both the 8KHA and 8K7A+. I've had both. The reason why you may not have seen it on the 8KHA is that you may have had the "keyboard power on" option disabled (it may have been a jumper setting or BIOS setting, I don't remember).
Old 12th December, 2001, 09:35 PM

Ahhh we meet again bitweaver, hope all is well with you.

I did not know that their was an option to enable/disable power on keyboard.

Question: If you disable power on keyboard, will it keep you from normally using the keyboard? or is it just for those keyboards that have all the Internet-Email-favorites type buttons on it?
I do not have any remote connection programs or a need for starting this computer from a different location.

I also wonder if you disable wake-up stuff in the Bio's, will that keep the keyboard from being powered when the system is shutdown?

And does ACPI have anything to do with it? What is ACPI anyway? Do I need it?

Is their any good reason why the power on keyboard/mouse is occuring after shutdown? It is not a normal occurance, and if it is not correctable, is that a quality defect?

Don't get me wrong, I like this motherboard's speed and such, but I do not like things occuring without my approval on them.

I know I'm full of questions...errr...and other materials.

BTW Why doesn't Epox Tech stand in these forums 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? What,..does he have a job or something?

Last edited by Landry21; 12th December, 2001 at 09:45 PM.
Old 13th December, 2001, 04:24 PM

Ok, lemme see if I can explain this better. The 'keyboard power on' option is used when the system is powered down. When the system is powered down, you can go to the keyboard, hit any key, and the system will start up. This is why the keyboard lights stay on, there is still power flowing to the keyboard. This does nothing to the normal usage of the keyboard when the PC os powered on.

There probably is either a BIOS option or jumper setting to turn off this option, but I don't have my manual with me, so EpoxTech would be better to answer this.
Old 14th December, 2001, 10:28 PM

Hello?

No matter, I was discouraged with the minor defects and thinking they were'nt worth the holding onto the 8KHA+, I RMA'd it back to AxionTech. I was also having problems with the board's Bus's eg. recongnizing the mouse every third boot.

Also what with no official Bio's for those problems I was thinking that Epox was either not concerned about it, couldn't correct it, or just was too busy working on the new 8KHAL.

No matter, I'm trading it for a Soyo Dragon Plus.

Thanks for the info.