AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th December, 2001, 11:44 PM

Question Epox 8kha+ and vapochill setup

Hello all im new to this forum having just got my Epox and Vapochill system.
I purchased a "used" Vapochill system and am trying to commision it and am having some problems, i hope someone can help.
1> My system does not post, i believe a failure in one of the many new components (cpu or ram or even mobo) to be at fault and not the vapochill. I took great care in mounting the CPU a athlon xp1700+ and hope this is not the problem. My mobo is a epox 8kha+ and i have 1 stick of pc2400 ram installed. I think most people would say try a cpu swap first ?
On system powerup the mobo led display is at 00, i get no beeps in the speaker, and no display to the monitor.

The vapochill system seems to behave properly with the compressor starting normally and when t1 (-5c) is reached i hear the relay click on.
Any idea would be most welcomed thanks ..

hybrid Vapochill cooled cpu
water cooled video and mobo

1 x corsair 512meg pc2700 cas2

adaptec u160 dual scsi card

2 x quantum 18g 10k ultra 160 h/d
externally mounted

visiontek gf4 ti4600(330mhz -695)
water cooled gpu + ram sinks

sb audegy soundcard

3com 3c905tx 10/100 nic

Samsung 170t digital lcd display @1024x1280

Enermax 450w +5v rail modified
180w sep supply to run drives
winshaft xp pro

current overclock
xp1900+@1.8g 9 x 205
vcore 2.05v vdimm 2.8v
3dmarks2001 stock settings 10949
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2001, 02:14 AM

Do you have a normal HSF handy. If you do it would simplify things allot if you put that on instead of the vapochill.

Once your PC is running then install the vapochill and get that FSB up

Firstly, do your fans spin up or does the system do nothing when you press the power button.

If it does nothing check the position of the CMOS jumper (Jbatt1) as the manul shows the incorrect position. The jumper should be on the left side pins.

Try clearing the CMOS.

Try posting without any hard drives or PCI cards installed.

Reseat your AGP card.

Reseat the memory.

Try plugging a fan into the fan header on the motherboard. Ive never tried to post mine without a fan but the board may not start without a fan installed. Epox Tech can probably clear that one up.

Take the evaporator off and make sure you didnt crush the CPU. Epox Tech killed a few XP's using a vapochill, I hope you havent but youd better check.

What PSU are you using.

If none of that works then it might help to try alternate memory, Agp cards, PSU's and CPU's to identify the fault.

Good luck.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2001, 07:16 AM
EPoX Tech

I know where "Engineer" is comuing from here. Once you have mounted the hose onto the CPU you don't want to take it off.

Try running the compressor from a seperate PSU. It may be that the compressor is draining the PSU of sufficient power to boot the system. This insufficiency would after boot hinder system stability also.

I ran mine on 8K7A with a CWT 320W (recommended upto XP1900+) for normal system and a little advance 250W for the compressor jumpered to the black jumper for 100% loading on the compressor.

There is sufficient space at the bottom of the case to rest a second PSU on the deck.
Old 17th December, 2001, 06:27 PM

Wink

Yes Epox tech you are right about removing the vaporchill Im sure you have some memories from your old vaporchill system.
I should have included that the system im building has a bran new Enermax 450w power supply, so unless its faulty i think its not a power problem.
I have the system stripped down to bare essentials just a vid card 1 stick of ram and of course the mobo.
I will begin by swapping out the vid card and ram and ps and see what happens. But more then likely its the athlon and i think this because the vapor chill typically takes a miniute to begin cooling and you would expect to see the cpu put of enough heat to activate the vapor chill's t2 level thus cutting power of to the system but it doesnt, the heat rise is not that great thus i think the cpu is dead.
Having never booted the epox board im not sure about the Led displays 00 reading. would a dead cpu result in a 00 reading ? the manual is a little unclear in this department.

externally mounted

sb audegy soundcard

3com 3c905tx 10/100 nic

winshaft xp pro

current overclock
xp1900+@1.8g 9 x 205
vcore 2.05v vdimm 2.8v
Old 18th December, 2001, 08:30 AM
EPoX Tech

For diagnostic purposes, before setting up vapochill, always check the integrity of all system components including of course the mainboard and the CPU.

Always be very careful attaching the hose and contact making sure the clamp ring is seated level on the cooling attachment and doesn't foul the hose so as to be lob-sided.

Note that it is normal for the temperature to rise after power on upto approximatley 40°C befoire it reduces to the -5°C that you've set t1 at send the pulse to the mainboard to power on.

I think at the stage that you're at now it would be prudent to extract the hose and processor, replace with another processor and an aircooler in order to test the mainboard. If positive, then replace the CPU with the XP and try again. Trubble-shootin'
Old 19th December, 2001, 02:39 AM

Thumbs up

Ok thanks for the suggestions.
Im up and running and have the system posting now um turns out it must have been a iron filing somewhere on the mobo stopping it from booting um i blew out the case with a compressor and bang she came right up.
I was so glad it wasnt the xp
I will finish building the system over the next day or so and post some specs once i have tweaked the bios.

externally mounted

sb audegy soundcard

3com 3c905tx 10/100 nic

winshaft xp pro

current overclock
xp1900+@1.8g 9 x 205
vcore 2.05v vdimm 2.8v
Old 19th December, 2001, 08:09 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by engineer
Ok thanks for the suggestions.
Im up and running and have the system posting now um turns out it must have been a iron filing somewhere on the mobo stopping it from booting um i blew out the case with a compressor and bang she came right up.
I was so glad it wasnt the xp
I will finish building the system over the next day or so and post some specs once i have tweaked the bios.
Let us know how it goes Engineer
Old 24th December, 2001, 06:17 AM

Talking im up and running

It was a long struggle to get this system running but i finally made it.
Here is a brief summary of what happened.
I spent many an hour trying to sort out why my system wouldnt get past the boot portion where it lists all your device and irq just before it boots to windows. My system would hang all the time, i began by swapping all the pci cards around thinking that one ofthem didnt like sharing .. no luck. I then removed all the pci cards except the vid and the scsi controller and still no go. Next i disabled my usb on the mobo and heay it gets past the device listing but fails to get into winxp wheich i had from a prevoius install. I install all the cards again and keep usb disabled and reboot and begin working on the winxp problem.
After a angry reinstall of xp im running except for usb. I try enabling usb again but this time remove assign irq for usb and it works. Not to much documentation on this.
I will run system for a day or so then begin the overclocking .. i will post to let you all know how i go.

externally mounted

sb audegy soundcard

3com 3c905tx 10/100 nic

winshaft xp pro

current overclock
xp1900+@1.8g 9 x 205
vcore 2.05v vdimm 2.8v
Old 24th December, 2001, 08:49 AM

Lo there, nice Answer there Epox-tech

The t2 control holds the 12v line off, and t1 holds the reset on. Just for info.
As for mounting th Evaporator, goto the support site and look for the thread on "stopping core crushing". I posted a good way to mount the Evaporator.

Cheers
Old 24th December, 2001, 08:51 AM

no sig