AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th December, 2001, 03:20 AM

? for Epox tech on temp for cs5301 chip

I have a new 8KHA+ an the voltage regulator chip (CS5301) temp is 72C. Without a fan blowing on it to cool it, I suffer reboot problems. I keep a fan cooling it an have no problems with rebooting. What should the normal temp of this chip be an will the high temps kill the mobo over time?

http://gamershq.madonion.com/product...&dprid=2242487

Last edited by WinXP; 17th December, 2001 at 04:36 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2001, 07:10 AM
EPoX Tech

I'm running faster than yourself at 1.90v VccCore, 170FSB, 10x multiplier and my CS5301 is at 33.4°C.

Something sounds mighty odd about the temperature of your part - has it been vmodded ?

For a specification sheet, please visit http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/CS5301-D.PDF
Old 17th December, 2001, 08:06 AM

There has been no VcCore mod done to this mobo or any type modifications. I have only had it for 4 or 5 days. It would not reboot doing a restart without letting it set for a few minutes. Figured it was a heat issue somewhere, took a digital thermal probe an started checking for high temps and came to the cs5301 chip an read 72C. Since putting a fan blowing on it, I have no restart problems. If I disconnect the fan I have the same restart problem when not cooling this chip. I am getting alot of voltage flucuation on the +5v (5.03 low to 5.1 high) +12v (12.28 low to 12.40 high) at idle without any load, with a load I get more of a flucuation up an down on the +5V an +12v. The mobo is stable an runs good. Could the cs5301 chip be bad an heed replacing ? If it was returned to Epox could this be corrected ?
Old 18th December, 2001, 08:55 AM

Sure wish you would help on these questions Epox tech.
Old 19th December, 2001, 08:27 AM
EPoX Tech

Knowing the thermal specification and variable of these products, it is usual that they gain heat if they are struggling to receive sufficient power to them to process and phase modulate. You may find that a PSU with a better curtrrent stability in the combined 3.3v and 5v area may increase the supply, reduce the temperature somewhat and therefore increase the stability of the system.
Old 19th December, 2001, 01:54 PM

So you are saying I need a better power supply ? I am using a 400 watt Antec power supply an removed it yesterday an trying another 400watt power supply an getting the same results with the cs5301 getting very hot an the flucuating voltage readings at idle or under load. It is causing no instability problems. Don't get me wrong here, this is not a bad mobo, in fact it is a really good mobo. The only real concern is the reason the chip is overheating without a fan on it an the volyage flucuation. But performanve wise, it is a fine mobo. So lets just put this to rest, I appreciate your help an interest.
Old 19th December, 2001, 02:44 PM

Hi WinXP.
I'm not overclocking ..... noy yet anyhow.
I can't mesure the temp of this chip. I do the finger test & can only press down on it for just under 10 secs then it gets to hot & remove finger.
Not sure if this helps but if mine were like EPTech would i be able to hold my finger on it perminately?
How hot does a chip normally get were it would burn the finger?

I know on a previous Asus M/B it was known you needed to put a heatsink on this chip to get any sort of stable overclocking.

Mabey M/B manufactures might want to consider puting a Heatsink on this chip as standard, like the ones used for memory on video cards. It might give them an edge in the stability dept when the boards are pushed above specs.
I don't even think the northbridge gets this hot & it has a heatsink & a fan!
Old 19th December, 2001, 06:56 PM

The temp of mine gets up to 72C (161 F) with the fan blowing on it now holding 35C. The northbridge get no where near that temp. It is no biggy to me to cool it, just the first mobo I have used that needed this. I use water cooling, so the only fans I use is on rad an video card an system is really quiet. I got tired of the screaming case fans an heatsinks. Cooling the cs5301 made a world of difference in the performance of the system, it is completely stable an fast. Couldn't ask for a better setup with the 8KHA+.
Old 20th December, 2001, 04:56 AM

I know what you mean about the noise it does get to me also.

When I do try & overclock this mobo I will put some cooling on this chip also to be safe. I've already unlocked my XP cpu but I've heard of corrupting the hard drive sometimes when pushin' it too hard. I'm busy with work & can't afford this at the moment.
I've got the OS's all ghosted but it is setup in multiple partitions with 2x 60gig Hardives in raid 0 on a promise controller.
Now thats 120Gig(not all full but alot) so I don't have it all backed up just yet!
Old 21st December, 2001, 09:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to gared Send a message via Yahoo to gared

Winxp,

What fan do u use for cooling the voltage regulator? Is a small 6 cm fan enough? I am suffering the same problem too.

Dual MP 1800|Asus A7M266-D|512 MB Crucial PC2100|Enhance ENS-0246|MSI G4MX440|Asus 1394|Intel EtherExpress|Asus DVD 12x|HP CDRW 8200i|Maxtor 40 GB|Quantum 30 GB
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2001, 10:00 PM

I am using a Nidec Gamma28 blower style fan. It is maybe 15cfm an about 4" away from the chip. Any small 40mm or 50mm fan blowing on it should work fine. You just need a decent air flow blowing on it but not like a delta on a heatsink.

link to fan I use:http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=273%2D199
Old 23rd December, 2001, 06:41 AM

My CS5301 chip is very hot to touch. I also noticed my Clock Gen chip is just as hot.
I only have 300wat PSUs available to me here at the moment. I'll change over the PSU like ET suggested.
With a previous Asus P3V4X I picked up a small heatsink/s from an electronics store and placed it on the clock Gen chip. This was enough to cool it down to work.
I used heatsink compound with a drop of superglue to hold them on.
Old 24th December, 2001, 07:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

cooling

Wow, that fan is neat. It appears to be a type of squirlcage type fan. How do you mount it exactly. Also the guy out there talking about installing a heat sink on a couple of chips by way of heat sink compound and super glue, Tell me more about how you did this. DId you put a drop of SG on the center of the chip and put the hs compound around it but not too close so as to mix in with the glue??? tell me more and where you got the heatsinks and the size and type. Thanks MIke
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 26th December, 2001, 04:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to gared Send a message via Yahoo to gared

A drop of superglue in the corners, while thermal compound in the middle.

Dual MP 1800|Asus A7M266-D|512 MB Crucial PC2100|Enhance ENS-0246|MSI G4MX440|Asus 1394|Intel EtherExpress|Asus DVD 12x|HP CDRW 8200i|Maxtor 40 GB|Quantum 30 GB