AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th December, 2001, 08:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dave101o0

8kha+ reboot prob (w/ the 8khal00 bios) please help!

I'm having a weird reboot problem with the new bios that was posted on this forum. Under extreme stress, my system will do a soft reboot. This happens very randomly and will occour 1 day on a particular app and will not the next.

eg: printing from office xp/ playing max payne/armada2

here's my system specs
xp 1700+ @1.6
8kha+ 8khal00 bios
512meg crucial pc 2100ddr
asus geforce 3 ti200
2x maxtor 40gig 7200
sblive!
dlink 738 network card

system temps:
42idle, 47-48 load
board 32-35

I've also noticed that this happends when my board temp gets close to 37... is this a safe shutdown thing w/ the bios?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old 17th December, 2001, 10:40 PM

The Re-Boot thats happening to you is more likely due to overclocking. If ur system is at its max, any drop in volts, particulary on your 5v line can potentially cause a re-boot.

What Vcore are u at?
Old 18th December, 2001, 01:02 AM

1.8volts, vdimm @ 2.7

I've tried 1.85 and vdimm 2.8, same probm :-(
Old 18th December, 2001, 01:05 AM

Actually, this thing is weird, it's not happening today.....

Could this be a problem with my local power source fluctuating?
Old 18th December, 2001, 01:31 AM

Check your 5v line voltages using Motherboard Monitor, usually if it drops off sharply from 5volts than ur going to get a reboot.

Yeah, can agree that spiking can cause problems, try and get one of those trailing adaptors that provide some protection from voltage spikes.

Good Luck
Old 18th December, 2001, 08:18 AM
EPoX Tech

DazzleW - you are along the correct lines however the concern is not so much about the level of the 5v line but moreso the stability of current in that line.

A good quality PSU is essential to overclock Athlon XP properley.
Old 18th December, 2001, 02:40 PM

Epox Tech I have the same problem has well. I am running my second system on a Sparkle 400Watt PSU with the 8KHALoo.bin bios revision. It happens mostly after running intensive apps e.g Max Payne for 1-2 hours and then suddenly the system reboots like if you hit the reset button on your case. I cant say its the 5volt line since I have modified the pot instead the PSU to place a stable 5V line @5.3volts idle and 5.1volts at load. Maybe its could be due to the heat expansion of the VDIMM's slots when pumping 3.2V into the memory modules that expand and become loose. Only my thought on this issue.

Paul.K
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2001, 02:42 PM

Just a quick update, I have lower the VDIMM voltage and its seems that the spontaneous rebooting issue has gone for now.....

Paul.K
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th December, 2001, 08:20 AM
EPoX Tech

I don't know about expansion of the dimm slots (VICAT softening temperature of PE100 approximatley 130°C), but I do know that such high memory voltages would impede the ability of most average combined output PSU's to continue to deliver a steady current to the CPU and northbridge - hence the reboot.

I'm at 3.0v for now at 168MHz host and memory with everything cranked up. The machines been transcoding windows media audio for 2 days now and is fine.

I've found that transcoding Windows Media Audio using Audio Convertor is a more stringent test of system stability than any other for testing everything bar the graphics subsystem (for that 3DMark2001 is unrivalled).
Old 20th December, 2001, 03:12 PM

I was just doing some experimentation on our little issue yesterday. On my second system my Epox 8KHA+ has an XP1900+ installed with an SK6 Thermalright. I was playing CS and after 1hr:30min my machine rebooted. Now this rebooting issue is only becoming apparent lately. Also to note the only thing I have changed on this setup is I replace my fan with a less noiser model. Because of this I have seen my CPU temp @ load increase to 50C. Last night I then replaced the original fan which is an delta 80mm and my CPU @ load is 38C. I have experienced no rebooting since. Could this rebooting issue be temperature related.....

Paul.K
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Old 20th December, 2001, 04:22 PM
EPoX Tech

It could be based on the fact that the XP does have a hybrid composition of 0.18 and 0.13 micron technology which would certainly mean that the processor would have a lower heat threshold due to the fact that 0.13 micron parts would overheat more easily than 0.18 parts.