AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th July, 2003, 05:17 AM

Windows Media Player won't work with nForce audio drivers

I can't get Windows Media Player (tried 3 different versions) to work right with the nForce2 audio drivers on my 8RGA+. I've tried v2.41 as well as an earlier version that came with my board. The output stutters and skips no matter what kind of file I try to play. Yet... the files play OK using other programs. And Media Player works fine if I install generic audio drivers from RealTek instead of the nVidia drivers.

I'm running Win98 SE with all BIOS settings at the factory defaults. I've got 256 MB memory and a 2500+ Athlon (although it did the same thing with my old 1600+). This is really bugging me. Any suggestions will be *greatly* appreciated.
Old 13th July, 2003, 01:56 PM

Have you tried Media Player Classic ?

Here you can find:
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/...r_classic.html
Old 13th July, 2003, 02:52 PM
EPoX Tech

Media player is the first thing we always test with (since it takes no extra installation).

It works perfectly with three variations of NForce Audio :-

1. MCP-T and ALC650 (with all NForce drivers)
2. MCP and ALC650 (most recently tested with 3.44's)
3. MCP and CMI 9739a (Tested with new WHQL driver unreleased)
Old 13th July, 2003, 10:48 PM

I installed the upgrade to the WDM for multimedia drivers in the form of '242937usa8.exe' which solves quite a few related problems.

HTH

Graham W
Old 14th July, 2003, 04:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's great Epox tech support monitors this forum. I figured the nForce drivers had been tested with Media Player, but it's nice to know for sure. I don't know why, but I've had initial probs with the audio drivers for like half the motherboards I've ever installed. Everything else always works fine... but it's gotten to the point where I dread installing the audio drivers!

I downloaded Media Player Classic and the Windows update. I'm using the Realtek drivers right now, but I made a Norton Ghost image of my drive right after installing Windows. I'll load that and try the two files with the nForce drivers soon as I get time. I'll have my fingers crossed
Old 14th July, 2003, 07:24 AM
EPoX Tech

Some people just should never install audio cards or chipsets!!!

Never mind.

The NVidia audio drivers are the ones that you really should use for stability since the MCP-T southbridge cannot relate properly with the ALC65x drivers such as 3.42, 3.43 or 3.44 (3.45 untested with this chipset).
Old 15th July, 2003, 04:19 AM

Graham - Installing the WDM update solved my problem! Thanks for letting me know about this. I don't think I ever could have tracked it down on my own... Microsoft's KB article for the update doesn't even mention this issue.

Epox Tech - Appreciate your input. The nForce audio drivers are definitely superior to the Realtek. I don't use the surround sound etc, but the audio quality is much better.