AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th July, 2003, 12:44 PM

May i have a clear answer , please?

Directly from my last post:

some users with my mobo (8k7a+) have achieved in installing an athlon 2200xp, even an 2400 xp, but i don't know if it's better:

1) a brand new 2400 xp, with all the voltage diffrence problem ( in some threads users talks about various voltage measure, i am completely unaware about this important aspect ..)

2) try 2 overclock my 1700xp to reach 2400xp performance ( i dunno absolutely nothing about how to overclock my CPU , but many says athlon 1700xp is suitable for good overclocking, so it's a possibility 2 evaluate, a tutorial for newbies like me would be great..)

Installing a 2100xp or higher on 8k7a+ seems pretty stable, but the machine itself doesnìt recognize these processor, marking them as "unknown", but if the performance are up to their real power, i think there is no problem in upgrading....

finally, regarding a bios upgrade for my mobo, is really necessary in case of installation of a 2400xp or overclocking of my 1700xp?

thx again, waiting for your welcome comments

p.s: i have found the way to pump my FSB ( my bios allow a range from 133 to 250 ) but i don't know how to modify the 11x setting, where have i to check in my bios?

sorry for repeating me, but i need that info, and you have been very helpful till now..
Old 20th July, 2003, 01:35 PM

1. check bios for various voltage settings. it should i guess go as low as 1.4 volts. it does not really matter because your 1700+ or a new 2400+ will likely need 1.6vcore to run at 2400+ speeds reliably

2. your 1700+ will be capable of 2400+ speeds if it is the newer version. find the 133-250 setting in your bios. somewhere near that setting should be a cpu multiplier setting. set to 12x and reboot. this will slightly overclock your 1700+ to 12x133mhz. if it boots and is reported as unknown you will know that it is unlocked and capable of much more. a little program called wcpuid will tell you exactly how fast it is running. another program called prime95 is a good stress tester to test if your cpu is handling the overclock properly.

now if you have ddr333 memory raise the fsb to 166mhz leaving the cpu at a 12x multiplier. if prime95 crashes at this speed add more vcore and torture test again. please bare in mind that both higher speed and vcore will increase the heat output of your cpu.

it does not matter if your cpu is 'unknown' just as long as prime95 doesn't fail and wcpuid tells you it is running how you set it.
Old 20th July, 2003, 08:42 PM

Hi,

most of what flytek has mentioned ist right except of:
- the Multiplier of the 8K7A+ hast to be set via DIP-switches on the board (SW2).
- if your CPU is reported as Athlon XP 1700+ you either have a CPU with PALOMINO-core or you have already the latest BETA-BIOS 8k7a2923-beta.
If you have a PALOMINO-core you aren't able to change the multiplier no matter what your DIP-switches are set to. This CPU is locked.
If you own a t-bred CPU you just have to use the latest official BIOS (reports t-bred as unkown) or the inofficial BETA-BIOS i mentioned above. I posted this version here:
Need the Beta BIOS (8k7a529b.exe) for the EP-8K7A+
Then set the multiplier to 'AUTO' for 1700+ or to 12,5 for IIRC 2200+. If you want to get more you have to do some modding on the CPU or raise the FSB. In my case i also had to raise the core-voltage to 1,80V (requires a VERY GOOD heatsink or watercooling).

Greetings

punisher_666
#1: Conroe6600@3,22GHz, Asus P5B Deluxe, 2GB G.Skill PC800, Matrox G550PCIe, 6x Samsung HD501LJ, Pioneer DVR-111, Plextor Premium, Iiyama AS4821DT
#2: Opteron 170@2,0GHz, EPoX 9NPA+ ULTRA, 1GB Infineon, Matrox G550PCIe, 10x Hitachi 7k250 SATA, RAID6, Pioneer DVR-106
#3: Winchester 3200@3200, MSI K8N Neo4-F, 1GB Infineon, Matrox G550DH, ASUS Extreme AX300SE, 1xSamsung HD501LJ,... Iiyama ProLite H481S
#4+#5: Barton2500@3200, EPoX 8RDA6+, 1GB Infineon,...
#6: Thoroughbred2700@2700,...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th July, 2003, 08:50 PM

Me again ,

i think i need a brain upgrade. Multiplier 12,5 is for sure 2000+ NOT 2200+. Sorry for that.

I will punish myself (love that ;-P).

Greetings

punisher_666
#1: Conroe6600@3,22GHz, Asus P5B Deluxe, 2GB G.Skill PC800, Matrox G550PCIe, 6x Samsung HD501LJ, Pioneer DVR-111, Plextor Premium, Iiyama AS4821DT
#2: Opteron 170@2,0GHz, EPoX 9NPA+ ULTRA, 1GB Infineon, Matrox G550PCIe, 10x Hitachi 7k250 SATA, RAID6, Pioneer DVR-106
#3: Winchester 3200@3200, MSI K8N Neo4-F, 1GB Infineon, Matrox G550DH, ASUS Extreme AX300SE, 1xSamsung HD501LJ,... Iiyama ProLite H481S
#4+#5: Barton2500@3200, EPoX 8RDA6+, 1GB Infineon,...
#6: Thoroughbred2700@2700,...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th July, 2003, 10:51 PM

first of all, thx u all for your reply

now, since i still cannot find the bios option 2 change the multip. to reach 12x or higher, can you tell me which swith have i to change in order to make it?

also, i dunno what kind of athlon xp 1700+ i have , maybe this image taken with Wcpuid will clarify the situation:

finally, if it helps, these are my voltage datas:

Vcore 1.78 V
Vagp 1.56 V

thx as always for any info
Attached Thumbnails
May i have a clear answer , please?-current-1700xp-status.jpg  
Old 20th July, 2003, 10:59 PM
jcool

unfortunately, it does not.
Could you post a CPU-Z screenie plz?
www.cpuid.com

EDIT: ooops, 1,78Vcore... sounds like Palomino, I'm sorry
Could you run CPU-Z to confirm that
Old 20th July, 2003, 11:07 PM

palomino.....
am i lost??
Attached Thumbnails
May i have a clear answer , please?-current-cpu-cpu-z.jpg  
Old 21st July, 2003, 12:05 AM
jcool

jep thats definately a Palomino, I'm sorry.
Depending on the quality of the CPU and cooling, the max. you will get out of it will be 1600-1900Mhz - I used to run my 1600+ Palo @2Ghz but that was with 2,1V and watercooling.
Besides, it was a handpicked CPU and I unlocked it with silver conductive stuff...
Old 21st July, 2003, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcool
jep thats definately a Palomino, I'm sorry.
Depending on the quality of the CPU and cooling, the max. you will get out of it will be 1600-1900Mhz - I used to run my 1600+ Palo @2Ghz but that was with 2,1V and watercooling.
Besides, it was a handpicked CPU and I unlocked it with silver conductive stuff...
thx for your help, probably i'll raise fsb from 133 to 143, just 2 say " hey, i'm a real overclocker... "

anyway, since the palomino oc is basically useless, seen my voltage and epox mobo i have, what are the step i have to follow, in installing a real athlon 2400xp, i mean have i 2 modify some switch or voltage or anything else?

soap continues...
Old 21st July, 2003, 11:34 AM
jcool

well gettin' a few 100 Mhz more outta it isn't that useless is it
I hope somebody can help you with your assembly problem though, I have virtually no idea what dip switch to put in what direction, for I've never seen that board myself
Basically it should just work if you set your switches to "auto" or something (should be default position anyway I guess) and insert your 2400+...
You won't have to "modify" your Vcore or soemthing
Unless you want MORE Vcore than your bios offers you, don't we all know that problem (--->8KHA+ )
Old 21st July, 2003, 01:17 PM

Quote:
well gettin' a few 100 Mhz more outta it isn't that useless is it
I hope somebody can help you with your assembly problem though, I have virtually no idea what dip switch to put in what direction, for I've never seen that board myself
Basically it should just work if you set your switches to "auto" or something (should be default position anyway I guess) and insert your 2400+...
You won't have to "modify" your Vcore or soemthing
Unless you want MORE Vcore than your bios offers you, don't we all know that problem (--->8KHA+ )
the 1700+ palomino oc was of course a joke

what i would like 2 know is basically, if i put a brand new athlon 2400+ in my 8k7a+, this cpu will be recognised for its real speed, and i won't have to toggle with vcore or anything else? so, just put the new cpu and have fun? finally, if the vcore is the only bottleneck my mobo has in mounting cpu, what is the proven max amd cpu working on it?

n.b. i have 2x256ddr266 ram stick in my mobo, if it helps with any welcome solution..
Old 21st July, 2003, 02:01 PM
jcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by uepp
the 1700+ palomino oc was of course a joke

what i would like 2 know is basically, if i put a brand new athlon 2400+ in my 8k7a+, this cpu will be recognised for its real speed, and i won't have to toggle with vcore or anything else? so, just put the new cpu and have fun? finally, if the vcore is the only bottleneck my mobo has in mounting cpu, what is the proven max amd cpu working on it?

n.b. i have 2x256ddr266 ram stick in my mobo, if it helps with any welcome solution..
Well... 8K7A+ features AMD761/Via 686B right?
So it doesn't officially support Thoroughbred CPU.
You won't have a guarantuee that any TBred CPU will work but from what I heard from peeps who own this board it will run TBred.
So basically you just put the 2400+ in and have fun.
It may report as "Athlon 2000Mhz" or something but that doesn't matter at all.
In any case you will have to upgrade to the latest official Bios or the latest beta (reports correct CPU name e.g. 2400+) prior to the assembly of your 2400+.
Old 21st July, 2003, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Well... 8K7A+ features AMD761/Via 686B right?
So it doesn't officially support Thoroughbred CPU.
You won't have a guarantuee that any TBred CPU will work but from what I heard from peeps who own this board it will run TBred.
So basically you just put the 2400+ in and have fun.
It may report as "Athlon 2000Mhz" or something but that doesn't matter at all.
In any case you will have to upgrade to the latest official Bios or the latest beta (reports correct CPU name e.g. 2400+) prior to the assembly of your 2400+.
eheh, fast and helpful as always
i'll update my bios with the latest beta and a 2400+ will follow shortly.

thx for everything, now it's a matter of luck!
Old 28th June, 2004, 07:40 AM

Did the Tbred 2400+ work?