AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd December, 2001, 10:24 PM

Question Psu

I would like to know if any one has this PSU ENHANCE ENP-0730 P4 300 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY - OEM I got it and I was thinking this could be my problem with not being able to Overclock.I have tryed the beta bios(both) with no luck.I use MBM and I have noticed that my 5.0 volt line will some time drop down to 4.95. Are antec psu any good I was thinking of the 350 or the 400watts.
Thanks for the help.
Old 23rd December, 2001, 01:19 AM

I dont think that a 5v line of 4.95 would cause much instability.

I had some problems with the 5v at 4.7v and I fixed them with a sparkle 400watt unit.

How are your trying to overclock ?
On what chip and at what voltages ?

Before you swap your PSU try altering memory timings, voltages, AGP settings (fastwrites and such), hard drive settings (turn off prefech and run UDMA 66 or 33.
Chek your CPU unlocking.
Cooling ?

Try running the 3/4 memory devider and see how far you can go then.

If none of the above work then think about replacing your PSU for a bigger unit.

You also might be able to tweak the 5v line up a bit if your PSU has ajustment pots in it.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th December, 2001, 08:33 PM

I am trying to go from 133fsb to 152.I have a 1600+ I up the voltage .50 and up the ram voltage up .20. I have not unlocked my cpu yet my temps seem to be ok my cpu stays about 40-41C.
I tryed the beta bios and lowerd the memory devider from 133 to 100 but when I took the ram up to 142 it would not even post.Bios 8khi1b02 will post at 100 memory devider and the ram at 152 but windows XP will not load I get the blue scree of death.the ram I have is 2400 the say it will do 150 and the reveiws I read had thiers up to 170.So Iam trying to figure out my problem.
Old 24th December, 2001, 11:59 PM

Try running the memory on slowest timings and with the 3/4 ram devider. (this should rule out any chance the memory is to blame.

Set your CPU voltage to stock and see how far you can go.

Then increase the voltage and try again.

Then try at maximum voltage.

If you acheive successively higher overclocks then I would think that your chip (or more impotantly your cooling) is the limitimg factor.

If increasing the CPU voltage makes no difference then look more carefully at your PSU and your other bios settings.

Im not a expert on overclocking the XP chip but it might be that you need better cooling or more voltage to get a higher FSB.
The only way to know for sure will be to either unlock your CPU or try running with a diferent chip that is unlocked (do you have a old Tbird or duron lying around ?)

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th December, 2001, 07:37 PM

thanks for the help.I'll give it a try to night.I don't have a t-bird or a duron but I might try unlocking it sometime this week.my cpu stays at 41c which is 113f I believe.what makes a computer not to post,that has to do with the memory.
Thanks for the help.
Old 26th December, 2001, 03:25 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

4.95v is fine. Mine is running at 4.93 atm. My enermax was 4.82v at times. Never instability, but I am looking to get creative soon, and it would stress the 5v line more, so I replaced it.

Your Enh PSU has 220v in the 3+5v rail. For a 300W PSU that is excellent. Do you have a lot of other devices? The down side is there is only 80W going to everything else. IF you have a lot of drives, that could actually be limiting you.

As far as no post, there are many things. I can think of a couple. If the CPU can't boot at stock voltage (oc'd), it won't make it to the bios to get any extra you prescribe there, same with oc'ed memory. From a cold-cold boot, temp should not be a problem.

Good luck.
Old 26th December, 2001, 09:21 PM

I am using bios 11/02 and I can goto 146fsb If I goto 149 my 5v
is at 4.95 and if I play a game my line goes down to 4.92 and games crash and if I goto 150 and I start a game It reboots the computer.This is with the mem settings at fast if I goto fastest or turbo It will not post so right now my 1600+is running at 1800+ but I would like a little more out of it so sometime this week I am going to try to unlock it and I hope I don't screw it up
If the memory is at 133 it will post at turbo.So do you think Its the memory or the psu holding me back from a higher fsb.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 26th December, 2001, 09:30 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I think the PSU is not the problem. Maybe memory, maybe one of your other devices. Remember, the PCI is running 1/4, so at 150, the PCI is running at 37.5, and AGP at 75. Can your run 3Dmark?
Old 26th December, 2001, 10:59 PM

Yes I can run 3DMARK 2000 I need to download 2001 I forgot to save it before I built this system.
Old 26th December, 2001, 11:59 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If you can run 3Dmark, your video is fine. hmm..

What else do you have in your system? Mabe 300W is just not enough.
Old 27th December, 2001, 05:26 AM

all I have is a radeon32meg ddr a modem acer cd burner Right now I am using the on board sound and a dominator 2 with a 7000rpm fan with 256megs of ocz 2400ddr
I did not try to run 3d mark at 150fsb but Q3 crashs but I will give it a try.at 149 then if 149 works I,ll try 150.

Last edited by milkjr; 27th December, 2001 at 05:30 AM.
Old 28th December, 2001, 06:55 PM
EPoX Tech

With this issue, please try to remember that the amount of voltage is not important in the 5v rail area but instead the stability of current within it.
Old 28th December, 2001, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
With this issue, please try to remember that the amount of voltage is not important in the 5v rail area but instead the stability of current within it.
What amount of ripple would be allowable?