AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st July, 2003, 09:39 PM

Ramsink covering more than one mofset? Or chop them up?

I am installing a new 8rda+ in my machine and want to attach some ramsinks to the mofsets. But the ramsinks are bigger than 1 mofset. My question is: is it OK to have the ramsink cover more than one mofset, acting unintentionally like a heatspreader? Or must I chop the ramsinks up so it covers only one at a time?
Old 31st July, 2003, 09:57 PM

No problem covering more than one with one heat sink.
Old 31st July, 2003, 11:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Veky Send a message via AIM to Veky Send a message via MSN to Veky Send a message via Yahoo to Veky

I have a question too, I have little heatsinks and 2 of them cover all the mosfets but they are very very short. I was thinking of putting one and 2 more on top of it, connected with paste. Doable?
PNY GeForce 6800GT
Seagate 250GB SATA
Tagan 430W PSU
Windows XP SP2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2003, 01:03 AM
jcool

not a very good solution I'd say because you won't be able to make good contact between the 2 HS.
Better replace them with longer ones if you think that better cooling is required.
Old 1st August, 2003, 01:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Veky Send a message via AIM to Veky Send a message via MSN to Veky Send a message via Yahoo to Veky

Hmm, well it's pretty short but it shouldnt mather much, as the shorter it is the faster will the heat spread th the top and into the air.
Old 1st August, 2003, 01:43 AM

I also covered 6 of mine with 2 heatsinks, I wouldn't stack them because you might be defeating the purpose of the "Passive" cooling effect. Also if you use a cpu cooler like a Zalman or an SLK 800-900 you get the added benefit of some "overflow" cooling , especially if you get a 92mm fan.
PS. Don't forget the 2 smaller chips that are nearby. This link will get you to some thermal images that show the heat.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bubo/Mosfets/mosfets.html
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Ramsink covering more than one mofset? Or chop them up?-07-01-03-northbridge-cooler-006.jpg  
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2003, 01:32 PM

Thanks Bob, I'll put something on today.