AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th August, 2003, 09:59 PM

8RDA+ Strange problem

Hello..... Here's the sitution with my board. For the past 2 months(since I built the machine) its been totaly stable. I've ran Prime(heck you guys know what I mean) for over 2 days to make sure it was totaly stable. This machine folds gromacs 24/7, like I said for 2 months no problems. Now here's the problem I'm having. The machine is hard locking in standby mode, in the time frame some where between 8-10hrs.

I know.... Here's my specs:
1700+ running at 11X225 1.775v DD Maze-3 Load 95F
8RDA+ stock1.56-.58v DD Z-chip, 80mm fan blowing on mosfets Load 84F
2X256 XMS 3500 sync dual channel 11-3-3-2 2.9-.93v
Radeon 9700 Pro stock speeds and voltages DD Radeon 9700 block
pump is a eheim 1250 and a BIX rad
Antec TP550
+12v rail 11.90-11.98 +5v rail 4.89-4.96
IBM Deskstar 80g,TDK 48x burner
No Pci cards, using onboard lan, sound and usb. I also disabled any unused port in the bios.
Bios is 8RDA3609
All voltages were checked with MBM5 and Bios.
System is out of case
If you need anything other info just ask.

I've tried uping the vcore, reinstalled video drivers, lowering ram timings and cas no help. I'm going to run memest all night tonight, I'll post results in the thread. Any help is much appreciated
Thanks
flipdoggiedog
Old 7th August, 2003, 12:22 AM

lose the standby mode? has it just started doing this for no reason or have you recently turned standby on or flashed the bios

edit: maybe you got a new usb2 or other new device connected
Old 7th August, 2003, 12:26 AM
jcool

hell its so darn hot outside that even I had to take my CPU and NB a bit back, no wonder if its 32C ambient and 35C water :/
Try less FSB and CPU-Clock and either wait for winter to come or put the whole thing into a refrigerator...
Old 7th August, 2003, 12:34 AM

Quote:
lose the standby mode? has it just started doing this for no reason or have you recently turned standby on or flashed the bios
Standby has been on since installing xp same as bios. And I havent installed anything new programs or hardware. Heck I haven't even been using the machine except for folding.

I think I will try to turn off standby mode.....I'm kinda thinking its windows....well maybe hoping.....I have Memtest running now

Thanks for you help flytek
flipdoggiedog
Old 7th August, 2003, 12:42 AM

Quote:
hell its so darn hot outside that even I had to take my CPU and NB a bit back, no wonder if its 32C ambient and 35C water :/
Thats the thing jcool....its been running the same temps for the last 2 months. Its down in my basement and the temp rarely changes 73-76F. NB is at stock voltage I havent done the vdd mod, was happy running 225 dual/sync....do maybe I need to now?
Thanks
flipdoggiedog
Old 7th August, 2003, 12:47 AM
jcool

well I'd just try out if 220 FSB or so works (you might find that 220 with 2-2-2-11 timings is faster than 225 with 2-3-3-11 anyways) and if it works you might consider performing the Vdd mod.
Old 7th August, 2003, 04:12 AM

Well I've been running Memtest for about 7 hrs. Memtest reported 1 error in test #5. Do you think 1 error could hard lock the machine in windows?
Quote:
well I'd just try out if 220 FSB
Thats just what I did jcool... set it at 220 11-3-3-2 and I'm gonna let it fold for the night and see if its still up in the morning. If not I'll try turning off standby. btw standby only turns off monitor not the harddisk.
Thanks for your suggestions jcool
flipdoggiedog
Old 8th August, 2003, 12:27 AM

The machine has been folding since 8:00 pm last night. No Lock-ups at all. I have timings set at 11-3-3-2 2.7v, gonna try 11-2-2-2 tonight Thanks jcool. Another strange thing is that when I built the machine 2mos. ago any fsb over 215 needed 2.9v, now I'm doing 220 at 2.7v.

Does anybody have any idea's on why 225 worked for 2 mos and now the best I can do is 220? Like I said in a eariler post, I haven't changed any hardware or installed any new drivers or programs. Bios,voltages and temps have stayed the same as well.

Any input is helpful and appreciated
flipdoggiedog
Old 8th August, 2003, 12:48 AM
jcool

-I have noticed that my HW went "Better" after a few weeks 24/7 running Seti@Home, too - the burn in effect probably.
And I still think that even a 3 or 4 C increase in temperature can lead your NB/Ram to instability - I can't even run 220@2-2-2-11 right now fully ├╝prime stable (machine is fine though) because my ram is sort of boiling - I'll have a fan blowing on them...
Old 8th August, 2003, 01:27 AM

Quote:
-I have noticed that my HW went "Better" after a few weeks 24/7 running Seti@Home, too - the burn in effect probably.
Yea I figure your right on about burn in helping lower the ram voltage. Still doesn't explain the missing 5fsb, you'd think that burn in would help me get 5fsb not take it away.

Quote:
And I still think that even a 3 or 4 C increase in temperature can lead your NB/Ram to instability
I really don't think its a temp problem(I'm not saying that your wrong and I'm right)....Like I said in my first post, temps were always the very similar within 1-2 degrees F at load. I'm gonna try and find some time to butt one of the DD5 probes against the core of my 1700+ then I'll know what the real temps are.

Thanks again for all your input jcool
flipdoggiedog
Old 8th August, 2003, 01:45 AM
jcool

well maybe your CPU keeps cool because its cooled very good, but... How do you cool your mem?
I just put a fan on my mems and voila I'm back at 225 DC 2-2-2-11
You know, you only tried out 225 - which didn't work - and 220 - whick did work.
But maybe your mem/NB is just a few degrees hotter than it used to be and now it can only run 223 or 224 stable but not 225...
Its not certain that you "Lost" 5Mhz FSB you see
In this summer's heat everything is acting kinda strange...
Old 8th August, 2003, 02:07 AM

Quote:
How do you cool your mem?
For the first 2mos. when it was in the case I had no fans directly blowing on the 2 sticks, just case cooling 2X80mm(intake) and 2X80mm(exhaust) and 1 80mm blowing on the mosfets. Radatior 2X120mm(intake) sat on top of PSU. Now board sits atop the box it came in and 1 80mm blows on mosfets and 1 80mm blows on the 2 sticks. With the system in the case or out of the case the temps didn't change, according to bios and mbm5. They both may be reading the wrong temps but their both consistently wrong...ya know what I mean.

I just want my 225fsb back lol

Thanks again jcool
flipdoggiedog
Old 9th August, 2003, 02:22 PM

Anyone else have any ideas? This thread's been looked at a good bit and yet no other replys. It seems like whenever I post a question here the same people post replies.

I'd just really like to know why I lost 5 mhz....I've been overclocking for a good while now(I'm not saying I'm an expert) and I've never had anything like this happen to me before. Is something dieing?

Any input is helpful and thanks again flytek and jcool
flipdoggiedog