AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th December, 2001, 09:27 PM

Question 8KHA+ Disappearing Floppy, and BSOD With HDD Connected to Primary IDE

Last night I finished installing Win2k pro on an 8KHA+. I had one WD drive connected to the primary ide. One cdrom connected to the secondary. The install went fine. When it was complete I applied the via 4 in 1 from the driver cd. When that was finished I shutdown the computer and removed the cdrom drive since this was to be nothing but a folding machine - hence no need for a cdrom. That left me with just a floppy and the HDD as primary master. Upon reboot windows gave me a BSOD with "inaccesable boot device." I tried fail safe settings in the bios - no go. I tried booting into safe mode - won't work. I moved the HDD from the primary to secondary connector and it booted fine. When I got into windows I happened to notice my floppy drive was missing. Rebooted and went into the bios. Boot up floppy seek is enabled, but under general bios settings the floppy selector was listed as none. I manually selected 1.44 floppy and rebooted. Windows then showed the floppy drive. I performed a full shutdown and cold boot. The floppy disappeared again and I had to restart and manually select it in the bios. So - it appears to reset from each cold boot. Any suggestions?
Old 27th December, 2001, 03:46 AM

Your not having much luck with these boards are you.

Im not sure what to suggest.

Can you replicate the fault with the CDROM installed ?

Have you flashed the bios, if so what version are you running ?

It sounds a bit like what my board was doing just before it blew up, hopefully your board wont go up in smoke.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th December, 2001, 03:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Wow Cole, these boards just don't like you do they?

Mine has worked perfectly from day one, and so has the one in my best buddies PC . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th December, 2001, 08:52 PM

Actually this is the only problem I'm having with one out of four boards after using the beta bios. The other 3 are perfectly fine. Flashing to the 11/30 bios helped this one overclock great, but it didn't change the drive problem. I guess Epox Tech doesn't have any ideas for this problem. Oh well, it's working fine with the HDD connected to the secondary ide, so I guess I'll just leave it that way.
Old 28th December, 2001, 08:19 AM

Floppy

I am unsure of the hdd failure but have had similar experiences with the disapearing Floppy. After you flash always hit the delete key on reboot and select load optimised defaults. Once you have a safe and full boot then go back in and tweak the bios.
As to your floppy problem just load up thge bios screen and select load optimised defaults a few times in a row and voila your floppy should be back working fine
Regards
Z
Old 28th December, 2001, 03:04 PM

ALWAYS SELECT "LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS" WHENEVER YOU JUST CLEAR CMOS OR JUST FLASHIG NEW BIOS. JUST AT THE FIRST BOOT, PRESS DEL AND SELECT THIS. ALWAYS !!!

Now for your problem, try to select "Load Optimized Defaults" and press F10 to save and during boot press DEL and select "Load Optimized Defaults" again. Do this several times in a row. It fixes this FDD not detected issue, as can be read here:

http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.p...&pagenumber=14
Old 28th December, 2001, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushkin Rules
ALWAYS SELECT "LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS" WHENEVER YOU JUST CLEAR CMOS OR JUST FLASHIG NEW BIOS. JUST AT THE FIRST BOOT, PRESS DEL AND SELECT THIS. ALWAYS !!!

Now for your problem, try to select "Load Optimized Defaults" and press F10 to save and during boot press DEL and select "Load Optimized Defaults" again. Do this several times in a row. It fixes this FDD not detected issue, as can be read here:

http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.p...&pagenumber=14
Thanks for the suggestions - I always do that after flashing anyway. I tried it several times as was suggested and the floppy shows up fine until the next cold boot. Then it's gone again and I have to manually select it. The HDD problem won't go away. I tried connecting the same cdrom drive I used earlier and it still gives the same BSOD error. It all started after I applied the Via 4 in 1 update. I might try a different version and see what happens.
Old 28th December, 2001, 06:58 PM
EPoX Tech

It is true that after BIOS flashing, CMOS clear and/or load optimized defaults should be performed as different BIOSes have different page areas which mean that your selections for certain criteria in a previous BIOS could be mis-interpreted by a new BIOS flash.
Old 31st December, 2001, 06:49 AM

Well... thanks, but the problem was there before I tried the bios flash. I reinstalled win2k pro from scratch and tried the latest Via 4 in 1 download. It did the exact same thing with the cdrom still attached this time. Immediately after rebooting with the Via patch applied it gave me the BSOD. Moving the hard drive to the secondary fixed it, but the drive slowed down to ata 33 from ata 100.... Looks like a problem board. Quality control seems to be the only issue with this board. All of my other 8KHA+ boards are rock solid. Oh well, at least they're trying hard with customer service. All the others are too big to give a bloody rag, or they don't have the first clue about a business plan. Epox has the best customer service going, hands down.
Old 31st December, 2001, 02:27 PM
EPoX Tech

Don't hesitate to get in touch with your reseller for a replacement.