AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2003, 06:16 PM

What´s epox rma policy?

I have added better cooling for my northbridge and southbridge and even the mosfets to keep things cool. But does that mean my warranty is voided? my mobo just died after 1,5 years of being completely stable. I didn´t have a damned crash for 5 months except for Morrowind and GTA: vice city and that is probably because of these bug ridden games so I don´t think I have stressed my mainboard very much

Never ran at any higher than 180 fsb too and never touched my mainboard chipset voltage or doing any kind of a vmod or anything.

But I did use epoxy and those expensive coolers I bought for the mainboard seems to be destined to follow it´s way with the mainboard when I RMA it.

Reading Epox warranty policy doesn´t seem to be a problem but I want to make sure.

It was a great board though.
Old 4th September, 2003, 06:44 PM

The warranty is VOIDED by using the epoxy.Unless you can make the board look stock(including old HS)
Radeon 9800pro-M(Tyan Tachyon)
2x WD 80gb HDD
Lite-on 52x32x52 CD-RW//Samsung 16x DVD
Antec SLK3700amd//550w True control
Yamaha TSS1-W 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS Speakers & external decoder
Windows XP sp1//DX9.b//(Omega 4.2's)//2-17.bo1 bios
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2003, 07:30 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

If it's over a year old isn't it beyond the warranty period anyway? May be different where you are of course.
Old 4th September, 2003, 07:54 PM

I got a 2 year warranty. And I have tried putting it in the freezer but it still sit´s like a rock. I asked the same over at Abit and the manufacturers want their boards in original condition to be able to reuse them perhaps so I guess that´s why they probably won´t approve my RMA it if my crystal orb and zalman nb 32j and stuff are still attached. At first I was installing too nb 32j with pushpins but their pushpins was so week they went broke within a day both of them. That´s why I epoxied it. Didn´t expect my board to die on me since I am no extreme overclocker and are running at very low temps with low voltages.
Old 4th September, 2003, 08:01 PM

Always used a mix of AS3 & AS3 epoxy myself, HS's came of with no problem when I got my new board.
Radeon 9800pro-M(Tyan Tachyon)
2x WD 80gb HDD
Lite-on 52x32x52 CD-RW//Samsung 16x DVD
Antec SLK3700amd//550w True control
Yamaha TSS1-W 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS Speakers & external decoder
Windows XP sp1//DX9.b//(Omega 4.2's)//2-17.bo1 bios
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2003, 11:08 PM

Yes that was what I did but apparently I must have got to much adhesive in my mix. Have had it in the freezer for like 14 hours and it still stuck as I don´t know what. If I have a freezer and then heatgun combo can that help.

Using a hairdrier or heatgun wouldn´t help as I have heard epoxy hardens when heaten up. Plus it´s a more dangerous route to go but I am getting desperate here.
Old 5th September, 2003, 12:23 AM
Member/Contributer

I dont understand why you are even considering RMA'ing the board after you modded it, and its given you 1 and a half years of service.
You modify the board at your own risk and in doing so invalidate your guarantee with it. Simple.

Epox boards a fantastic value for money, but this sort of thing only serves to push the price up and make genuine RAM's more difficult for everyone.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th September, 2003, 04:40 AM

My board died within a month. Of course I misread my multimeter to the power of ten on a non soldered vdd mod. Whoops! Bubbles in my plastic, right after I did the mod too! I wouldn't have to tell them that I suppose, but well..I don't know. I did do the mod and cause the failure. So I'm keeping it for a repair project at some point in time. I'll get some extra value that way instead.
Old 5th September, 2003, 08:53 AM

You got a year and a half of good overclock out of the board. Dig a hole in the back yard and let it rest in peace. Time for a 8RDA3+
Old 5th September, 2003, 10:17 AM

Nope. All they want is the mainboard as it was when I bought it. Thrust me the mainboard didn´t die because I added better cooling for it, nor did it for me overclocking it. If it was my fault I wouldn´t RMA it.

Hell I don´t even know if adding heatsinks can be called as a mod. I haven´t done any vmod or anything.

And I got 2 years warranty so why wouldn´t I use it? I expect more lifetime than 1,5 years on a mainboard.

And the 8rda3+ is out of the question. First my 8rda+ died a premature death and the 8rda3+ only got the MCP southbridge which makes it absolutely useless for me.
Old 5th September, 2003, 11:07 AM
EPoX Tech

Modified mainboartds in any way cannot be accepted for RMA.

As Lazgoat does state, even processing these boards and refusing RMA on them does take resources, which in turn can only serve to increase cost.

Messing with any component on the PCB may have a negative effect, adding a component or otherwise. If the system is not aggressively overclocked, there should be no reason to add extra cooling in the first instance - the board is designed to run correctly in accordance with chipset and processor vendors guidelines.
Old 5th September, 2003, 03:43 PM

Yes but it´s ridiculous to think that the southbridge with the MCP-T southbridge doesn´t need cooling. Hell it reached temps over 55 C at STOCK speeds and I am watercooling my CPU and thus has very low ambient temps in my case.

So it´s really a stupid policy. I know Abit doesn´t have a problem with adding cooling. They should be greatful since better cooling expands your mainboards life and cause less warranty issues. They do want their mainboards to be sent back as it was purchased though which is understandable if they want to reuse parts.

And reading epox warranty they say the warranty is voided if overheating or damaging the PCB on the mainboard in any way. So that would mean if I don´t get proper cooling on my mainboards and burn my southbridge for example I have voided my warranty even if I didn´t add any heatsinks at all???
Old 5th September, 2003, 07:45 PM
Member/Contributer

oqvist, spare a moment to re-read ET's post above.

Quote:
Modified mainboartds in any way cannot be accepted for RMA.
The motherboard you purchased was designed to operate under very particular specifications and conditions. This is what your guarantee covers you for.
You have changed that by modding the board (adding heatsinks or V-modding it does not matter) and probably running it in a overclocked state for an extended period of time.
You got 1.5 years out of it. That sounds like a job well done and is testament to Epox's quality and reliability.

Spare yourself the hassle and buy another one!

Its not very helpful to come to an EPoX forum and tell the Epoxs Tech's that their policies are stupid. When you needed help with your board where did you turn to?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th September, 2003, 08:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If you read our EPoX and forum rules you will know that calling EPoX or her policies "stupid" will get you ban as well.

Not to mention a comparison with another board maker...

One buys a board under a certain specific set of warranty conditions, to expect them to change is...less than realistic...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 5th September, 2003, 11:00 PM

Well forum rules are fine and we need them.

But i sure wonder this Epox Tech guy, is he just here to market
Epox boards or help people since one problem is close to me and
it is this 8RDA3+ board problem not to run even at stock settings,
(i have 8RDA3+ & barton 2500 and i need vcore 1.75V to run it stable).

So i have try to look closely threads here what discusses this
and only time Epox Tech guy has commented this clear fault is
when someone say he is going to RMA his board because of this and
tech guy accused him about it costing money for Epox and raising
board prices for everyone else.

Anyway it is consistent with Epox support email service since i reported
my problem to Epox europe support like 2 monts ago and never got any
reply.

And for Epox people you save your money for my case i dont go hassle for RMA my board, but thanks to this attitude this 8RDA3+ is my second
(first was 8KHA+) and very well last Epox board i purchase for long time.
Old 5th September, 2003, 11:29 PM

Try to think of it from Epox's perspective. Would you take back a dead motherboard that had been modified? Of course not. If they did every Tom, Dick & Harry with a soldering iron would be sending in dead motherboards.

It's a bummer that the motherboard did not live up to your expectations, I can empathize with that. That's just the way life goes sometimes. Give up the McDonalds for a few weeks and save up for a new motherboard. Suck it up dude, that's life.