AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th January, 2002, 01:21 PM

Aha, thanx for that! Almost went and ordered one, I was looking at RS components for that one - will have another look in a sec.

I've already contact Hirschmann this morning - no reply as yet.

But I'll have a bit more of a look - might just do alot of soldering direct on the chip if I can't find one!
Old 14th January, 2002, 02:35 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Aha, thanx for that! Almost went and ordered one, I was looking at RS components for that one - will have another look in a sec.

Kaiser, if you don't get a timely reply from Hirschmann, consider placing an order with Farnell Electronics. Doublecheck the order code though, but I think I picked the right one.

The Hirschmann 14way SOIC clip has the Farnell order code of 517100, and costs £13.53 Ex VAT and delivery. Farnell can be found at http://uk1.farnell.com/Welcome/welco...gistered.jhtml

AidanII
Old 14th January, 2002, 03:17 PM

Cheers Aidan, is it free delivery (think it says that on the about page)?

edit\ Hirschmann just got back to be quoting Farnell

Last edited by Kaiser Soze; 14th January, 2002 at 03:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th January, 2002, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Cheers Aidan, is it free delivery (think it says that on the about page)?
Farnell are one of the better electronics/test tool suppliers in the UK...

It would appear to be free delivery too.

AidanII
Old 14th January, 2002, 09:40 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

Farnell are one of the better electronics/test tool suppliers in the UK...

It would appear to be free delivery too.

AidanII
I use Farnell Components for a great deal of my consumables from Dow Corning 340 Silicon Grease through to Ceramics and heat shrink - best company there is - make Maplin look like Tandy
Old 15th January, 2002, 12:19 AM

Id normally use RS as my dad has a trade account but I often find that Farnell stock what I want when RS dont.

The orders I have placed have arrived promptly and in good condition (maplins have broken things on several occations)

I allso give them a high recomendation.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2002, 10:14 AM

Sorry guys, I should have said I got mine from Farnell here in Australia. They are a bit more expensive in general, but they do keep a good range. I also use RS when they have stuff in stock as I can pick up from them.
Old 15th January, 2002, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nico67
Racerx

I got mine from Farnell electronics here in Australia, and they are an international company Any good major electronics component supplier should have them or something similar.

Heres the Link to Hirschmann in the UK.

http://www.hirschmann.co.uk/
You Did !!!!

Old 16th January, 2002, 12:35 AM

nico67:
3.3v line stable at 3.37v
I am running the bios you mentioned.
One thing to note um it takes several boot attempts before i can get all the way into windows, sometimes it stops at post sometimes at scsi card bios and sometimes dies when loading winxp. Almost like some part needs to warm up!
i know there is more demand o nthe supply at cold boot time but cant help thinking its something else .

ps i used to live in VIC till i moved to the states but i do get hokme every few years or so

hybrid Vapochill cooled cpu
water cooled video and mobo

1 x corsair 512meg pc2700 cas2

adaptec u160 dual scsi card

2 x quantum 18g 10k ultra 160 h/d
externally mounted

visiontek gf4 ti4600(330mhz -695)
water cooled gpu + ram sinks

sb audegy soundcard

3com 3c905tx 10/100 nic

Samsung 170t digital lcd display @1024x1280

Enermax 450w +5v rail modified
180w sep supply to run drives
winshaft xp pro

current overclock
xp1900+@1.8g 9 x 205
vcore 2.05v vdimm 2.8v
3dmarks2001 stock settings 10949
Old 16th January, 2002, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by engineer
nico67:
3.3v line stable at 3.37v
I am running the bios you mentioned.
One thing to note um it takes several boot attempts before i can get all the way into windows, sometimes it stops at post sometimes at scsi card bios and sometimes dies when loading winxp. Almost like some part needs to warm up!
i know there is more demand o nthe supply at cold boot time but cant help thinking its something else .

ps i used to live in VIC till i moved to the states but i do get hokme every few years or so
I had the exact same thing.
My PC wouldnt boot from cold when overclocked.
I had to restart it then overclock once it was warm.
Once I replaced My PSU with a 400watt Sparkle the problem disapeared totaly.

Have you tried running without your PCI devices ?
Or is that just not practical ?

Old 16th January, 2002, 10:32 AM

Quick question, rather than soldering resistors direct to the hirshman clip, is there much loss if I solder on longish (say 5cm) wires to a pcb board.

I think it should be fine, but wanted to check that its not overlysensitive to this.
Old 16th January, 2002, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Quick question, rather than soldering resistors direct to the hirshman clip, is there much loss if I solder on longish (say 5cm) wires to a pcb board.

I think it should be fine, but wanted to check that its not overlysensitive to this.
The problem is that you're dealing with the resistors that set the output voltage. Any noise from these resistors will also cause noise in the output from the regulator. Generally, it's better to keep them as close to the regulator as possible.

If you do add the extra cables, you'll still get the expected voltage, but it might not be quite so clean.

AidanII
Old 16th January, 2002, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
I use Farnell Components for a great deal of my consumables from Dow Corning 340 Silicon Grease through to Ceramics and heat shrink - best company there is - make Maplin look like Tandy
A number of years ago Maplin was reasonable. Now they're not much better than most of the electrical outlets on the high street. Shame, but that's life. Farnell are pretty good, given the small quantities I've ordered in the past!

AidanII
Old 16th January, 2002, 11:07 AM

Quote:

I crimped push on connectors straight onto the resistor legs (lightly soldered for good measure), they slide onto the clip terminals. Tons of heatshrink, then solder all the resistor together and a short lead down to an earth ring that is now under a screw to the motherboard mount.

Everybody seems to suggest short is better when it comes to vmods.
Old 16th January, 2002, 11:50 AM

Okay, I was going to take the wires to a small pcb board and attach things there, thought it may help avoid legs of resistors touching, but I prob won't bother then and get some shrouding for the legs instead then.

Aidan - when you say it may not be as "clean", does this mean it may jump around a bit around the selected voltage?

Cheers guyz!
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:12 PM

Need some quick help on componenets, just want to check some things, as I want to order it asap, so it gets here tomorrow.

Whats the difference between LIN and LOG 470K pots - which one shold I get (Lin=order number 350126 and is 0.4W, LOG=order number 350229 and is 0.2W).

What 50K pot - is order number 549927 okay?

Also I can't seem to locate any 80K resistors.

Thanks for any help.

All the order numbers are from farnell: http://uk1.farnell.com/Welcome/welco...gistered.jhtml
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Aidan - when you say it may not be as "clean", does this mean it may jump around a bit around the selected voltage?
Pretty much. Each bit of wire you add to the circuit is capable of acting as an antenna for electrical noise. The internals of a computer are not known for being electrically quiet. A set of little antennas in an electrically noisy environment doesn't bode well for a clean smooth voltage. In terms of "jumping" around, you wouldn't be able to detect it without the right equipment. None of the monitoring chips are even close enough to pick this up!

Basically, those wires could pick up interference from other parts in the system, and your mod could end up injecting that interference into the voltage supplied by the regulator. When you're overclocking components they have less tolerance to noise. It's possible to do the mod in such a way that machine would be less stable after the mod than before because of all that extra noise!

AidanII
Old 17th January, 2002, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Need some quick help on componenets, just want to check some things, as I want to order it asap, so it gets here tomorrow.

Whats the difference between LIN and LOG 470K pots - which one shold I get (Lin=order number 350126 and is 0.4W, LOG=order number 350229 and is 0.2W).

What 50K pot - is order number 549927 okay?

Also I can't seem to locate any 80K resistors.

Thanks for any help.

All the order numbers are from farnell: http://uk1.farnell.com/Welcome/welco...gistered.jhtml
Log or lin just determines how quickly the resistance changes, but go for a 1/4 watt 6mm multiturn cermet pot.

As far as the resistors, I used the following items

3 x 340972
1 x 340510 (just used 1/3 of 75k, didn't bother with a pot)
Old 17th January, 2002, 10:47 AM

Cheers Nico and Aidan, I will be ordering and trying out this alternative voltmod soon